Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can i use the A model with only 1 catalyst ? it comes with 2. my concern is using 2 catalysts may be to powerful. my water volume is about 60 gallons

Definitely. I intend on using only one.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these guys in my fw and sw tanks. I have the nano in my pico jar now, and it came with 2 tiny catalysts, but I trimmed the remaining catalyst in half as my jar is only 2g.

I really doubt they make or break my system, and I could live just fine without them, but I like the idea of dosing hydrogen peroxide as I have used it a lot over the years for algae in and out of systems and the tiny amount these dose I doubt really does anything for algae, but I hope they keep the water less yellow.

Last edited:

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a few minutes this morning and setit up with two catalysts and 8% solution in a 450 gallon system. I have an O2 probe so I will track O2 95% Sat and ORP 319 PH 8.1 and report back periodically on progress.

Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do want to add a few thoughts on use in a pico. It's small, but in a pico it's not *that* small, but most in the 2-5g should have room especially around the heater and pump. The big thing to think about in this small volume is as the solution is pushed out it will alter the salinity. Now depending on how well the top is sealed this might or might not be a big deal. In some cases this would work to slow the salinity rise with evaporation and be like a little ATO, if well sealed though it will drop the salinity so just keep an eye on it. This will of course depend on W/C amount and schedule if it's an issue. I do 100% a week and with half the catalyst it's not huge change if I don't let the condensation from the lid drop back in the tank when I remove the top.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do want to add a few thoughts on use in a pico. It's small, but in a pico it's not *that* small, but most in the 2-5g should have room especially around the heater and pump. The big thing to think about in this small volume is as the solution is pushed out it will alter the salinity. Now depending on how well the top is sealed this might or might not be a big deal. In some cases this would work to slow the salinity rise with evaporation and be like a little ATO, if well sealed though it will drop the salinity so just keep an eye on it. This will of course depend on W/C amount and schedule if it's an issue. I do 100% a week and with half the catalyst it's not huge change if I don't let the condensation from the lid drop back in the tank when I remove the top.

Buy the Oxydator mini and use 3% peroxide it comes with a smaller catalyst than the others.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have missed my other post. I am using the mini. It had two catalysts and I was using a single cat, but then cut that in half even. It doesn't take much to change salinity in these little systems.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have missed my other post. I am using the mini. It had two catalysts and I was using a single cat, but then cut that in half even. It doesn't take much to change salinity in these little systems.
Oops yes sorry. I see it now. [emoji15]

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jonty how did your setup go? did you get any bubbling? I saw a few initially but nothing since, unless they are so tiny I cant see them, also how many catalyst were supplied?

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup went fine fine bubbles are just from ceramic pot once it had absorbed the water, I received three catalysts.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a higher O2 level - it should be easier to detect if you take the O2 level some minutes prior to lighting goes on (or light coming into the tank)

Sincerely Lasse

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try plotting your TOP from dawn to dusk both with and without the Oxydator. Home you have a ORP monitor you should be able up either up the % of peroxide or add another catalyst to get 350mv or more depending on what your ORP is at it's lowest and highest points are over 24hours.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back