Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your right I do not know what is released but my thought was that the gas from the catalyst reacting with the peroxide (it looks like a little Alka seltzer in the chamber) creates pressure and the peroxide is forced out, if water was entering from the tank wouldn't the gas build up prevent water coming in and only slowly push out the peroxide and explain the slow emptying of the container over time.

Amphibious

Oldest Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your right I do not know what is released but my thought was that the gas from the catalyst reacting with the peroxide (it looks like a little Alka seltzer in the chamber) creates pressure and the peroxide is forced out, if water was entering from the tank wouldn't the gas build up prevent water coming in and only slowly push out the peroxide and explain the slow emptying of the container over time.
You are correct, Jonty.

Last edited:

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, thank you for responding. I was referring to the conflicting statements made prior to mine. Using this device are you dosing hydrogen peroxide, or is it a reactor and the hydrogen peroxide reacting to the catalyst and turning into oxygen and water?

It seems from what I’ve read on the forums that there would be different results based on which scenario is actually happening (based on what I’ve read, not from a first hand understanding of it all).

I believe from reading your response I know the answer, thank you.

I have a W but haven’t implemented it yet. My tank is running good, so I’m not making any changes at the moment. I was trying to understand it better for any possible future usage...

Dave

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Water diffuses in and out.

O2 gas is produced inside and dissolves in the water inside the device and diffuses out just like water does. There may even be so much O2 produced that it bubbles out (I do not know as I've never watched it).

There may also be dissolved hydrogen peroxide diffusing out before it has a chance to be broken down by the catalyst. But to know if that is the case would require testing for it. :)

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water diffuses in and out.

O2 gas is produced inside and dissolves in the water inside the device and diffuses out just like water does. There may even be so much O2 produced that it bubbles out (I do not know as I've never watched it).

There may also be dissolved hydrogen peroxide diffusing out before it has a chance to be broken down by the catalyst. But to know if that is the case would require testing for it. :)

Thank you Randy.

Dave

Amphibious

Oldest Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few brochures from the German manufacturer of the Sochting Oxydator. Anyone wishing to clear this up can have one free.

PM me your mailing address I'll be happy to send one your way.

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the container does empty over time all liquid is purged from the container. ultimately I am not vested in an opinion just trying to gain a little more understanding.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would know what the liquid is because you would be the person filling the container.

Are you claiming there is hydrogen peroxide released to the tank, or that it is not? I don't really have any opinion on whether it does, but the web site claims:

https://www.oxydator.de/soechting-oxydatoren/
"The advantage: The water quality for fish is fundamentally improved and prevents the emergence of the above problems from the outset. This is made possible by the special ceramics that completely decompose the hydrogen peroxide (H202) to water (H20) and normal oxygen (O2)."

Is that an incorrect statement or incorrect translation?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the container does empty over time all liquid is purged from the container. ultimately I am not vested in an opinion just trying to gain a little more understanding.

Sure, the question is what is in the liquid when released, peroxide + water or O2 + water or peroxide plus O2 + water

I personally expect it will have H2O2 in it, but the web site seems to claim otherwise.

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took my Oxydator offline last night my water has become cloudy/milky, one dead fish and a bit of RTN on some coral. ORP / O2 never increased. I could see the unit bubbling away so I know it was working maybe could be overdosing who knows but I cannot afford to wreck my tank over it.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m sure that there is H2O2 out into the water too and that the breakdown of this non-catalyst H2O2 will do a chemical oxidation of organic matter (chemical mineralization). Why am I sure of this – simple – just overdose (strength of solution or too many catalyst in the container) and observe the result

The process will press out non-catalyst H2O2 from the container – the secondary catalyst (the ceramic container outside serve as a secondary catalyst) will make most of it to oxygen and water but a small fraction will pas by and be breakdown in water and radicals in the water column. The trick is to use the right amount of catalysts and the right concentration of H2O2 in order to have the trick to be done and get clear water.

During the 80: ties I did some experiments with DIY “oxydators” in my freshwater aquarium. In these case – I did not use a secondary catalyst – pure H2O2 was dosed out in the water by the oxygen gas forming in the bottle. And you know that volume of gas is much larger than the volume of the liquid. It will be diluted H2O2 that’s will be pressed out – not only water. With the DIY – I could not use higher concentrations than 3 % or very, very small catalysts of titan. Overdose could be fatal

As I can see it – it affects the redox potential. During a period, I run a higher H2O2 solution in my oxydator – 9 % and in that period my ORP hit the 450 mV level during night – now I´m back to 6 % and the ORP hit 375 mV during night.

Sincerely Lasse

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to give the W I have a try, and see how it would increase my ORP. I was hoping that the increased ORP would put the final nail in the coffin to my diatom bloom that was winding down. I diluted my H2O2 to 8%, and included 2 catalyst. I put the unit in my sump in the return chamber. I saw micro bubbles coming out of the unit. It was a fair amount of bubbles, but still less then escapes my skimmer.

To my surprise, my ORP began dropping rapidly. It went from 350 to 230 in just a few minutes. I was a little worried, I expected an ORP rise. Also, I’ve never seen anything happen that fast on my Apex display. I pulled the unit.

Has anyone experienced this? Any thoughts?

Dave

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to give the W I have a try, and see how it would increase my ORP. I was hoping that the increased ORP would put the final nail in the coffin to my diatom bloom that was winding down. I diluted my H2O2 to 8%, and included 2 catalyst. I put the unit in my sump in the return chamber. I saw micro bubbles coming out of the unit. It was a fair amount of bubbles, but still less then escapes my skimmer.

To my surprise, my ORP began dropping rapidly. It went from 350 to 230 in just a few minutes. I was a little worried, I expected an ORP rise. Also, I’ve never seen anything happen that fast on my Apex display. I pulled the unit.

Has anyone experienced this? Any thoughts?

Dave
I haven't even fired mine up yet but I was only planning on using 1 catalyst in the W for 300 total gallons. What made you decide to use 2? Please keep in mind I know nothing of the unit or desired dosages. Was just curious.

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water has cleared, and ORP is back up after taking offline 24 hrs ago so I think I can attribute the issues to the Oxydator if I could just understand what was happening. I started to see the cloudy water and change in skimming @ 24hrs @DangerDave I am following your experience carefully as I had two catalysts and 8.75% solution on a 450 Gallon system.

I do have an Arrid C30 Chaeto reactor and a turf Scrubber on the system, and I wonder if that was an issue although they seemed unaffected but the unit.

Last edited:

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s up and closer to its normal range this morning @ 330.

IMG_8872.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back