Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I follow the bigger dinos thread and I've yet to see someone mention they've tried it. Would be interesting to test for different species.
Oops I meant combat dinos not cyno. Having said that I have not had dinos since I have been using Oxydators around 30 plus years now in a good few tanks. Mates with Oxydators don't seem to have problems with dinos either.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does peroxide dosed directly into the tank kill dinos?
I believe it can be effective against a certain species of dinos I just can't remember which one exactly. Now would an oxydator be more effective against multiple species...I'm certainly curious to know.

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know the effects an oxydator has on a system where live phyto is continuously slow dosed? Curious on thoughts about this. I do not use a skimmer. Use an ATS, macro algae reactor and have a bunch of rock rubble in refugium compartment of my sump. Dosing live phyto and am having good results and with PO4 hovering between 0.04-0.08 and NO3 around 10-16ppm. I’m not trying to reduce my levels but I don’t want to kill off the phyto that is being dosed if I were to implement an oxydator. Not sure if that would happen but thought it would be best to ask. It’s a seahorse setup with softies and NPS, few LPS.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about continuous dosing but I don't see why it should be any different, I dose live phyto three times a day into my 13.5 G 15 - 20 ml a day, no mechanical filtration and I run an oxydator mini, 9% and two catalysts.
I have nps and softies mostly and wouldn't run a tank without an oxydator now. I have an A and a D in my big tank run as above and that gets one shot a day of phyto, about 75 ml.

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about continuous dosing but I don't see why it should be any different, I dose live phyto three times a day into my 13.5 G 15 - 20 ml a day, no mechanical filtration and I run an oxydator mini, 9% and two catalysts.
I have nps and softies mostly and wouldn't run a tank without an oxydator now. I have an A and a D in my big tank run as above and that gets one shot a day of phyto, about 75 ml.
Thank you! I went ahead and ordered an ‘A’ so I’m curious to see how it performs. I haven not really seen anything negative about these units and it’s piqued my interest for some time now. I am hoping for a bit more water clarity and of course the benefits of increasing oxygenation. I have used UV on previous seahorse setups to help water clarity and to help protect the ponies, but in those setups, live phyto was not dosed. So UV wouldn’t be appropriate in this setup but this oxydator seems to fit the bill. I will an post update when I receive it. Thanks for your insight!!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I went ahead and ordered an ‘A’ so I’m curious to see how it performs. I haven not really seen anything negative about these units and it’s piqued my interest for some time now. I am hoping for a bit more water clarity and of course the benefits of increasing oxygenation. I have used UV on previous seahorse setups to help water clarity and to help protect the ponies, but in those setups, live phyto was not dosed. So UV wouldn’t be appropriate in this setup but this oxydator seems to fit the bill. I will an post update when I receive it. Thanks for your insight!!

Let us know how you get on, the UK importer is Seahorse Breeders and they use them. ;)

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing phyto a few months ago and definitely saw several improvement in my reef. I’ve had an Oxydator running for over a year in that tank. I’m fairly comfortable saying that they will compliment each other well...

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing phyto a few months ago and definitely saw several improvement in my reef. I’ve had an Oxydator running for over a year in that tank. I’m fairly comfortable saying that they will compliment each other well...
Awesome to hear that! Looking forward to getting it and setting it up. Yea I am definitely happy with how things are looking since implementing the live phyto and roti continuous dosing. Tank seems cleaner and corals look happy. Water is not crystal clear but I guess that is part of the package deal.

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I received the oxydator today. I used 12% food grade H2O2 and diluted it to half with RODI. I put it in my display and as soon as I put it in, I started producing a constant stream of tiney tiny bubbles. Ever so often a bubble the size of ~3-4mm will escape it. Maybe the larger bubble is from the air escaping the ceramic canister? ORP shot up 50 points within an hour and still seems to be going up. Anything I should watch out for?

Anyhow, I will update on how things progress.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I received the oxydator today. I used 12% food grade H2O2 and diluted it to half with RODI. I put it in my display and as soon as I put it in, I started producing a constant stream of tiney tiny bubbles. Ever so often a bubble the size of ~3-4mm will escape it. Maybe the larger bubble is from the air escaping the ceramic canister? ORP shot up 50 points within an hour and still seems to be going up. Anything I should watch out for?

Anyhow, I will update on how things progress.

Awesome to hear and that sounds right! When you initially drop it in with a fresh charge, you will see more bubbles. It will tone down a bit in 24 hours or so.

I've never seen any reaction other than some corals acting a bit irritated for a few hours. To me, that was a sign to cut the H2O2 percentage back a bit.

I would expect you'll see a noticeable increase in water clarity and decrease in film algae over the next couple of days. Possibly your skimmer will collect a bit less as well.

Keep us posted and enjoy!!!

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome to hear and that sounds right! When you initially drop it in with a fresh charge, you will see more bubbles. It will tone down a bit in 24 hours or so.

I've never seen any reaction other than some corals acting a bit irritated for a few hours. To me, that was a sign to cut the percentage a bit.

I would expect you'll see a noticeable increase in water clarity and decrease in film algae over the next couple of days. Possibly your skimmer will collect a bit less as well.

Keep us posted and enjoy!!!
Thank you for the insight!!! Very much appreciated. And I certainly will!! :)

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received mine today as well. Same exact thing happened with orp and the large bubbles. Can’t wait to see the other benefits.

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So question for you guys:

I noticed that there aren’t anymore tiny bubbles exiting the unit. When I pulled the plastic container out of the oxydator it still looks full to where I filled it up and there are tiny bubbles coming out from the catalysts within the container. Will the plastic container be completely empty and thereupon needs to be refilled? Or will it remain relatively full to the point that I filled it up but I have to gauge refreshing the H2O2 by the amount of bubbles exiting?

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is also normal, Most of the O2 bubbles coming out will not be easily visible and/or are so small that they absorbed into the water column as soon as they leave the unit. As long as the H202 level is dropping, it is working.

The solution will fully empty, but I usually pull mine and refill when it's about 80% to 90% gone. that ensures that I don't fully run out if I get busy for a few days

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is also normal, Most of the O2 bubbles coming out will not be easily visible and/or are so small that they absorbed into the water column as soon as they leave the unit. As long as the H202 level is dropping, it is working.

The solution will fully empty, but I usually pull mine and refill when it's about 80% to 90% gone. that ensures that I don't fully run out if I get busy for a few days
Perfect! That’s exactly what I needed to know!! Thank you!!

Back