Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add one more note about anemones... I've got at least 50 in my system and have never noticed any ill effects. As another poster mentioned, it's not the same as dropping hydrogen peroxide directly into the system.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What % of peroxide do I need? I can find only 3% here in Canada...
You can get it online. (the 12percent) - I dont know whether there is a Canadian supplier - but I would bet there is - I got my 12% on amazon

Andy Macro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered mine, can't wait to see how it works.

does it have any effect onpH?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is OK to use one Söchting Oxydator A for 90G (+20G in sump)?
Yes it is. However, depending on stocking levels I would go with 9% peroxide and 2 catalysts at first before trying 12% but as said ait depends on stocking and amount you feed and how often.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I found 34% peroxide. How to delute it to 12 or 6%?

Well if you dilute it 1 part peroxide (34%) - and 2 parts water/RODI - you will get 11.3333 percent (close enough to 12 in my book). If you take 1 part of the new 11.3333 percent solution and add 1 part water/RODI you will get about 6 percent

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all, I just added a kalk stirrer to my system. I also just ordered a size "A" oxydator. The tank is currently a 55 dt with a 30 gallon sump. I will be using it in this tank short term and transferring everything to a 50 cube with a fiji 20 sump. My question is, are there any known issues with running the oxydator while dosing kalk with the stirrer? Also, do you think it will be too big for the 50 cube? What % peroxide should I be using and how many catalyst do you suggest? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get it right. Thanks!

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I just added a kalk stirrer to my system. I also just ordered a size "A" oxydator. The tank is currently a 55 dt with a 30 gallon sump. I will be using it in this tank short term and transferring everything to a 50 cube with a fiji 20 sump. My question is, are there any known issues with running the oxydator while dosing kalk with the stirrer? Also, do you think it will be too big for the 50 cube? What % peroxide should I be using and how many catalyst do you suggest? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get it right. Thanks!
An Oxydator will not interfere with your kalk dosing nor will.it have a direct impact on PH.
Regarding the use zbd % of peroxide and number of catalysts. You will be running 70g? In a well stocked tankwuth fish and feeding at least twice a day then 9% with 2 catalysts should be fine. If you feed a lot you may even go to 12% peroxide but start with 9% and 2 catalysts as above.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the size "A" should be good? Thanks
Yes, it's not so much the model of Oxydator but the % of peroxide used along with the number of catalysts. A smaller Oxydator like the mini using the same % of peroxide and number of catalysts will work similar. However the peroxide will last a lot shorter due to the fact it holds less peroxide. An Oxidator A with 9% and 2 catalysts will last about 10days before it will need refilling give or take a day or 2 either side. Temperature also plays a part in peroxide use.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back