Anyone using the Stream 3 yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really dislike single pump set ups regardless of brand or model of pump. You have all your eggs in one basket so to speak, so if that pump jams or fails you have nothing and that can be bad. Additionally, if all the flow is coming from the same direction it is near impossible to avoid detritus accumulation and the coral growth tends to be unusual and look like a strange windswept garden with everything leaning one way. For that size tank my preference would be 2 6095's.

Natedogg559

Nathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really dislike single pump set ups regardless of brand or model of pump. You have all your eggs in one basket so to speak, so if that pump jams or fails you have nothing and that can be bad. Additionally, if all the flow is coming from the same direction it is near impossible to avoid detritus accumulation and the coral growth tends to be unusual and look like a strange windswept garden with everything leaning one way. For that size tank my preference would be 2 6095's.
Thank you!

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is true, without the water the pump is too heavy even for 15mm. My home tank is 19mm, it does not hold, I use 2 6025.500 for each pump.

It is necessary to use both magnets (inside and outside magnet) or could I just swap the magnet on the outside with the one in 6025.500?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to change both, changing only one will not get you the full magnet power of 2. It would be between the two magnets sets ratings.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger, what do you think about four stream 3 in a 66x36x22(high), with two in the rocks and two on the back? It’s going to be hard to aquascape trying to conceal the pumps, but I want as little noise as possible with this build.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally they work best mounted horizontally on a long wall, you can even stack them pointed in alternate directions so one pointed left, one right, centered on the back wall is generally easy to hide by a rock structure. I think that 4 would be good flow, maybe a bit much, 3 might be enough.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally they work best mounted horizontally on a long wall, you can even stack them pointed in alternate directions so one pointed left, one right, centered on the back wall is generally easy to hide by a rock structure. I think that 4 would be good flow, maybe a bit much, 3 might be enough.

Would two in the rocks, near the end on both sides, suffice? The tank is viewable on all three sides. There will be a good bit of flow from the returns via two 1” random flow eductors.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work, but I have tried these pumps in every position, each of the 3 flow outlets, and the one that really makes it special, is horizontal with the flow rectifier. The flow is pretty much a perfect circular gyre. With the Stream 3 rocks, or upright, you will be limited to the deflector and the flow is then a very wide flare, it works, and it can be ideal for soft corals and Euphyllias, but it loses a lot of reach with the flare out.

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running two stream3s, a 6055 and a 6095 in my 90-gallon reef. I have them all connected to a 7096 controller running a random sequential pulse and power between 60% and 100%. The stream3s are each in the back corners, vertically mounted with the flow deflectors pointing diagonally across the tank.

The 6055 and 6095 are mounted low in the tank, pointing up toward the surface at about a 45-degree angle. I love the up-and-over gyre this creates - no corals are blasted by direct streams, but the water movement is complete, strong enough to keep all food in suspension and the fish enjoy it.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running two stream3s, a 6055 and a 6095 in my 90-gallon reef. I have them all connected to a 7096 controller running a random sequential pulse and power between 60% and 100%. The stream3s are each in the back corners, vertically mounted with the flow deflectors pointing diagonally across the tank.

The 6055 and 6095 are mounted low in the tank, pointing up toward the surface at about a 45-degree angle. I love the up-and-over gyre this creates - no corals are blasted by direct streams, but the water movement is complete, strong enough to keep all food in suspension and the fish enjoy it.

What are your tank dimensions? Mine is 72" by 24" by 28" and I could not get a good flow with the deflectors owing to the length, it just did not reach that far, it felt like at about 60-66" the flow was at the limit of reach. With the horizontal position, I get all 6ft and a few feet back around on the other side. Thank you! BTW, metric dims are fine by me.

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your tank dimensions? Mine is 72" by 24" by 28" and I could not get a good flow with the deflectors owing to the length, it just did not reach that far, it felt like at about 60-66" the flow was at the limit of reach. With the horizontal position, I get all 6ft and a few feet back around on the other side. Thank you! BTW, metric dims are fine by me.

My tank is only 48x24x21, so the reach is fine for me. :) I also like the surface agitation I can achieve this way.

Here is a photo of the tank. You can see the pumps, but I'm hoping the sps will grow up eventually hiding them a little more.
d6f12165b2cd5d278d82fe5b5a11392c.jpg

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work, but I have tried these pumps in every position, each of the 3 flow outlets, and the one that really makes it special, is horizontal with the flow rectifier. The flow is pretty much a perfect circular gyre. With the Stream 3 rocks, or upright, you will be limited to the deflector and the flow is then a very wide flare, it works, and it can be ideal for soft corals and Euphyllias, but it loses a lot of reach with the flare out.
I was planning on using the rectifier, and point each towards the front corner, more or less the pumps at one corner, pointing towards the farthest corner (diagonal). Most likely right rear to left front, left rear to right front. But I guess I will also get a pair for the rear panel for the circular gyre, if that's what you recommend. Thanks for the help!

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is only 48x24x21, so the reach is fine for me. :) I also like the surface agitation I can achieve this way.

Here is a photo of the tank. You can see the pumps, but I'm hoping the sps will grow up eventually hiding them a little more.
d6f12165b2cd5d278d82fe5b5a11392c.jpg
The deflectors are wasteful IMO, they result in little actual flow. But your tank looks really nice, I love the concepts. So what do I know? Good work, keep it up!

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow gph is the same regardless of what output is used, but the velocity changes and whether the flow is diffused and turbulent or focused and laminar. I could see this working well on a 4-5 ft tank from my experience.

ReefInskeep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to Tunze making smaller sizes of the Stream 3, or incorporating the tech/design into significantly smaller pumps. :) Until then I can only admire this great new tech from afar.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow gph is the same regardless of what output is used, but the velocity changes and whether the flow is diffused and turbulent or focused and laminar. I could see this working well on a 4-5 ft tank from my experience.
The videos make it seem like the deflector reduces flow a bit, but they are definitely diffuse flow generating!

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller with the same levitation is probably not possible, but we will adapt what we can to smaller pumps in time. The full levitation principle requires strong opposing magnetic fields and these fields need a certain space between them and this is what necessitates the size. Believe me, we wanted a smaller size, but you cannot get both small size and full levitation so smaller versions would have to have some compromises.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not so sure, but I will mention it. The 6040 has such an open outlet because the flow is maximum possible for the size, even a grid would result in a flow reduction. Thank you!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back