Anyone using the Stream 3 yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been looking at the Tunze Stream 3. Anyone brought one yet and if so, what are you thoughts on it? Is it as silent as you expected and is it as big as it looks once in the tank?

Many thanks

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 of them and have for over a year. To me the main features are that they are absolutely silent and very low maintenance, they build up almost no calcium over many months because they self flush and with the magnetic levitation there is no friction and very little heat. They are larger so I would generally only use them in a tank over 150 gallons.

OP
OP
Clownfishy

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rvitko many thanks for the feedback. It's the size of them that concerns me but I am obsessed in making my aquarium near silent so am assuming nothing can match the Tunze 3 in this regard.

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my 75 .It is Great!
Got 2 for my 210
LOVE TUNZE Products

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just purchased two for my 130G. Still working on my build

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up that the flow rectifiers are now available and free to existing owners in the US, just message me your address and how many you need. They make a huge difference in the flow reach.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about that. I brought two home from Interzoo for my own pumps and was amazed by the difference, the flow is much more forceful. The change completely eliminated any dead spots and the surface film on my 215. On the downside, I had to move all Euphyllias and had some trouble with loosely attached mushrooms being blown around. If you have a bigger tank, definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one in my 180gal for about a year. I pulled it out to clean for the first time last week. there was a little algae on the housing but nothing inside, no deposits, no grit, nothing! This backflush mode, or whatever it's called, really works. This is the most reliable pump yet! I am so glad I bought it. When my other WAV dies (and it will!) I will certainly replace it with a stream 3.

See you at MACNA Roger!

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! See you at MACNA. BTW, the backflush mainly clears algae, what is keeping the calcium deposits down is that so much water goes through the impeller chamber, over 200 gph come through from the bottom and this really keeps it cool and clean. I have had the same experience with mine.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger are they going to make a model between the 6040 and the 6150(Stream 3) I am in the thought stage of a new build and will be getting a 150 gallon size tank love the Stream 3 the tank will be mostly SPS so flow is important. What are your thoughts on one or two Stream 3's in that size tank.?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only hesitation on the Stream 3 for this size tank is size. They will work well, if you have a rock structure that could conceal them, it is the model I would use. You could place them horizontally on the back wall for example one over the other with about 6" between them and one pointing left and the other right and that would work great, but if it is a peninsula or just some small islands of rock, it could be difficult to conceal them. The Stream and Nano Stream pumps are getting older and an update is in the works but right now our development cycle is focused around unveiling a lot of new products in 2020, which is our 60th anniversary. I expect only minor product launches until then.

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two stream 3 which I plan to implement in my 135G peninsula over the next few weeks as I set it up. I was disappointed (but not surprised given I knew it would happen) that the supplied magnets will not hold the pump on 15mm glass. Tunze does sell stronger magnets at $72 a piece which would make the extra price for magnet alone $288! Ok I get it that magnets are expensive but wow I can’t even use very expensive pumps to begin with on a tank that has glass thick which you would expect on a tank sized for a pump like the Tunze Stream 3!

Instead of buying the magnets I am opting for the rock that Tunze sells to conceal the pumps. It’s the price of one magnet so I guess half the extra cost vs getting all new magnets.

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The magnets are $41.16 a pair- https://www.tunze.com/US/en/products/details.html?user_tunzeprod_pi1[prodid]=6025.500

In general I would go with the magnets, the horizontal mounting gives the best flow and the rock limits the mount to vertical.

Just read in the manual that the magnets holding capacity is only in water (i.e. not in a dry tank). My tank is not set up but Ill try the included magnets on the 15mm glass before I buy the additional magnets. Anyone had success with using it on slightly thicker glass ?

TessGlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up that the flow rectifiers are now available and free to existing owners in the US, just message me your address and how many you need. They make a huge difference in the flow reach.

Love the broad flow this pump kicks out. Love the warranty and support I have received with other Tunze products. Anyone know of new solutions to provide anemone protection? The pantyhose like cuff that came with the pump just gets dirty too quickly and I try to keep my hands out of the tank. I made a cover with some mesh, but it restricts the flow too much so right now I'm living on the edge and hoping my seabae never decides to take a walk.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is true, without the water the pump is too heavy even for 15mm. My home tank is 19mm, it does not hold, I use 2 6025.500 for each pump.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We agree on the socks and are working on a new design. While I waited for my current anemone to settle I used the left over mesh from a BRS screen top kit and it worked very well. I just zip tied it on wrapped around twice.

Back