Anyones inhabitants acting "off" yet from eclipse?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while I agree with everything else you wrote on the pull not effecting animals or us, this reasoning is way off.

There’s countless things that animals can feel that we as humans cannot because they have different sensory organs than we do.
Sharks for example have their ampullae of lorenzini that can detect small amounts of electrical energy, like the heartbeat of another animal.
We don’t have those. Does that mean they can’t actually feel it.

Again, this logic is just flawed

Animals and humans are different and therefor experience and perceive things differently

My logic is not flawed :) I acknowledge that there are “6th senses” by animals due to ways they have adapted and evolved, dogs have incredible hearing and smell, yes sharks have incredible smell also and can detect small bits of electrical energy, mantis shrimp can see polarized, uv and infrared spectrums. And, we know these things as facts.

And then, I dismiss this. Because none of these things are affected by the moon going in front of the sun, and there is no creature capable of feeling the gravitational pull of the moon, and no impact on our home aquariums creatures.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My logic is not flawed :) I acknowledge that there are “6th senses” by animals due to ways they have adapted and evolved, dogs have incredible hearing and smell, yes sharks have incredible smell also and can detect small bits of electrical energy, mantis shrimp can see polarized, uv and infrared spectrums. And, we know these things as facts.

And then, I dismiss this. Because none of these things are affected by the moon going in front of the sun, and there is no creature capable of feeling the gravitational pull of the moon, and no impact on our home aquariums creatures.
By stating “if animals can feel it then why can’t we” is flawed reasoning. Even if you yourself dismiss it that line of thinking is flawed. That’s all I was saying.

You’re whole response was great and explained a lot but then you left that part in which, to me, invalidated the whole statement

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching carefully, not noticing anything suspicious yet? :astonished-face:
IMG_4554.jpeg

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By stating “if animals can feel it then why can’t we” is flawed reasoning. Even if you yourself dismiss it that line of thinking is flawed. That’s all I was saying.

You’re whole response was great and explained a lot but then you left that part in which, to me, invalidated the whole statement

Humans, and animals are both affected by gravity. There isn’t a “gravity organ” than one creature could have developed further than another. The effect of gravity is proportional to your mass. So, if a animal can feel lunar pulls of gravity, why can’t larger people?

I’m not talking about anything outside of the posts topic. Yes I agree other animals have extra sensors, or more developed organs, but there is not a gravity organ. The effect of gravity is based on mass.

I think you felt I was generalizing and making a universal statement, but I am only talking about gravity and eclipses in relation to our aquariums and pets

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for fun on a natural-phenomenon-and-aquatic-life-related note:

1 - Solar eclipses have known effects on water properties and seawater, so it may be possible for our fish to know something is happening with the eclipse (though there's no guarantee unless the tank is exposed to sunlight, as I haven't found research on the matter with regards to aquariums not exposed to the sun).
2 - Catfish have been demonstrated to be able to predict earthquakes with up to 80% accuracy about 6 hours prior to the quake:

"The experimenters think that the catfish are made sensitive through electrical changes in the earth, since it was only when the aquarium was electrically earthed, through the drain-pipe, that they responded to a coming earthquake."
3 - Leeches have been used for their ability to sense atmospheric changes as a barometer to predict coming storms and their severity.

Edit: Forgot point 4 - some people report their aquarium fish reacting to storms despite being inside and unable to see the storms coming.
Yeah, I always thought gravitational pull from the moon affects all behavior and the closer it get in front of the sun and path of the earth etc…the more it gets affected. Just blocking out the sun is different.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All 3 rfa spawning event in the tank now!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lots of animals act strange to astro events without seeing it. there are indeed changes.

I expect the octopus may be an Aries (like me). I saw an astrologer on CNN say they are most impacted by eclipses. I too felt the urge of something strange today. lol

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be interesting to know if anyones having different tank behaviors due to the eclipse?

thought it was odd when I came downstairs this morning and the octopus was out crawling around. normally she is napping at by light. she only went to snooze when I took out the phone to try and get a pic. She ate well last night (2 oysters) and watched TV with us. wondering if the eclipse cycle is throwing inhabitants off today?
Ya know, funny you ask because my RBTA always of course, shrinks down at night when the lights go out, but last night, for the first time ever, I noticed that it curled up into a ball inside itself! I noticed of course because it is definitely not the norm, but didn't really think anything of it. It is of course out and about like normal this morning. So, who knows.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humans, and animals are both affected by gravity. There isn’t a “gravity organ” than one creature could have developed further than another.

Yes I agree other animals have extra sensors, or more developed organs, but there is not a gravity organ. The effect of gravity is based on mass.
Why? Or why not?
I must say, I don't know a whole lot about animals and there organs. Or even fish or there organs. That lateral line they have... Can pick up some "stuff" (can't say what I want to say for effect).
But why or why not can another fish or mammal pickup the pull?
I need some facts like (Ispeakfortheseas) were posted.

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The moon blocking the sun does nothing significantly unusual to change an animal's behavior but block light during the day. There is no significant gravitational change. An animal may behave differently to the light becoming very dim (i.e. triggering behavior associated with night). No animal has some special "sense" to know when the moon and sun line up. Animals don't evolve the ability to sense something that occurs so rarely, nor would it be beneficial. Selection only acts when there is a significant pressure. An eclipse would only be pressuring some selection to occur if it happened very frequently, and if there was some adaptive benefit to doing so.

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The moon blocking the sun does nothing significantly unusual to change an animal's behavior but block light during the day. There is no significant gravitational change. An animal may behave differently to the light becoming very dim (i.e. triggering behavior associated with night). No animal has some special "sense" to know when the moon and sun line up. Animals don't evolve the ability to sense something that occurs so rarely, nor would it be beneficial. Selection only acts when there is a significant pressure. An eclipse would only be pressuring some selection to occur if it happened very frequently, and if there was some adaptive benefit to doing so.
Sorry, we were specifically talking about gravitational pull not the moon blocking the light. I think we all agree on that.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im dead smack in the center of where it went. Im in farm country, everyone around me has cows, horses, chickens and guard dogs. One of my neighbors breeds and trains police dogs. Didnt hear any animal give a singular crap about the eclipse.

Edit: I will say though fishing this morning was pretty lousy.

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be interesting to know if anyones having different tank behaviors due to the eclipse?

thought it was odd when I came downstairs this morning and the octopus was out crawling around. normally she is napping at by light. she only went to snooze when I took out the phone to try and get a pic. She ate well last night (2 oysters) and watched TV with us. wondering if the eclipse cycle is throwing inhabitants off today?
My anemones closed up randomly.. my wife and I were wondering what's going on, never seen it so closed up before. Hopefully it's the eclipse and not something else..

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 48 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back