Anything i need to know before using chemiclean?

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything i should know about chemiclean before i dose it. My corals have never been happier than now, dont want to mess anything up. Read the directions, ik you have to turn off your skimmer and do a wc in 2 days is it?

I had posted a thread before about the cyano on my sandbed. I was recomeneded raising nitrates raised to from 1ppm-5ppm and phos to .06. Corals are loving it, the cyano doesnt really care. I had bought some chemiclean a month ago but never felt like using it. If i use it will i have to dose it again or should it remove my cyano for good? I will vacumn it up and it comes back within a few hours currently
E1C47D54-70A1-4CCA-A5F2-0F61B7F356EC.jpeg

creativeballance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your skimmer running but unplug the drain if you can on the collection cup. It will overflow.

You probably also want to do a water change greater than 20% oh, because you now have just let a bunch of nutrients that the cyano had consumed back into the water.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion, fix the issue that is causing the cyano and ditch the chemicals. Cyano will not affect your corals like invasive algae or bacterias like Dinos. Good maintenance and finding the cause of it is much better. Flow? Is your export good enough for your input? Good cleaning schedule? Dosing aminos or carbon dose? Just some questions to ask yourself.

Otherwise if you are using it just make sure you keep oxygen up.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion, fix the issue that is causing the cyano and ditch the chemicals. Cyano will not affect your corals like invasive algae or bacterias like Dinos. Good maintenance and finding the cause of it is much better. Flow? Is your export good enough for your input? Good cleaning schedule? Dosing aminos or carbon dose? Just some questions to ask yourself.

Otherwise if you are using it just make sure you keep oxygen up.
Honestly i might not have enough flow, i am dosing amino acids but i had stopped for a week a motnand saw no difference in the amount. I have noticed things on my sandbed ocassionaly pile up. Am currently using tunze 6015 475gph in my 29g. Was thinking about changeing one out for a bigger size

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove your skimmer cup and let it overflow into your sump. It WILL go crazy after you dose. And will take a few days after treatment to settle down. And that’s with the included water change after treatment.

This. Your skimmer will go completely nuts.
Even after the water change. Just understand that.

Put an air stone in your sump or tank somewhere. Chemiclean lowers oxygen
Not a bad idea to run one in both. I've done chemi clean in both BB and sandbed tanks and never noticed an issue.
I've generally turned my skimmer off because it goes that crazy.

Cyano happens man...it's part of the hobby.

jimc40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop dosing the aminos. I will never use them again really didn’t see visible benefits from them only negative which was the Cyano. I used chemiclean and cut out aminos and my Cyano has not returned. No harm to any coral or fish. Had a small Dino bloom after treatment lasted about a couple weeks best thing I ever did was the chemiclean even though many people say it’s last resort.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have cyano in my tank right now.
Flow isnt an issue.
It's bare bottom.
I'm not dosing aminos.
Amino's may contribute to cyano, but they are not the cause.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly i might not have enough flow, i am dosing amino acids but i had stopped for a week a motnand saw no difference in the amount. I have noticed things on my sandbed ocassionaly pile up. Am currently using tunze 6015 475gph in my 29g. Was thinking about changeing one out for a bigger size

When I dose aminos more than 3 times a week at the brands recommended levels I get cyano. It takes about 2-3 weeks to fully clear up if I stop. A week is not long enough. Cyano and dinos etc takes weeks to start to grow before we see it visually. The flow is another part to it for sure and how often is the sand bed vacuumed?

Some use CC once and cyano is gone others it comes back within a couple of weeks and some other get dinos that take it's place. CC will work and it works fast but you just never know what the next 2-4 weeks after it's gone will look like.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean is good stuff that works. If you have any big mats break them up, remove what you can. Blow it off the rocks. Repeat this after 24 hours. You need to get the Chemiclean UNDER all the cyano.
If your skimmer has a drain remove the Chemiclean by draining the skimmer to a bucket and replacing the water that comes out with NSW. This works much better than doing a regular water change.
I just put my ATO pump into my salt water vat and make sure to empty the bucket. Takes about 4 hours on a 400 gallon system to get the Chemiclean out.
2020070109512572-5340147070973387617-IMG_2749_heic-M.jpg

I just take the tops off the skimmers and leave them alone.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the dread of cyano.
It was bad, I also bought CemiClean.
I did not use it though.
Like many here I think its a band aid for a problem thats needs to be figured out.

I got rid of it by using the following.
Stopped with all white spectrum lighting.
Ran only blues, and reduced the light period by about two hours a day.

Also I feed frozen food and strained it to remove most all the liquid.

I added a DIY algae scrubber with a Kessel algae light.
Run it oposite of the DT lighting.

I manually removed as much as I could from the tank often.

As the algae grew on the scrubber the cyano died off.
Has not come back.
ChemiClean is still in the box.

Yes it took about three weeks but I know this was is the right way to get rid of it permanently.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I dose aminos more than 3 times a week at the brands recommended levels I get cyano. It takes about 2-3 weeks to fully clear up if I stop. A week is not long enough. Cyano and dinos etc takes weeks to start to grow before we see it visually. The flow is another part to it for sure and how often is the sand bed vacuumed?

Some use CC once and cyano is gone others it comes back within a couple of weeks and some other get dinos that take it's place. CC will work and it works fast but you just never know what the next 2-4 weeks after it's gone will look like.
I have been stiring the sandbed daily for about 2 months now. Before that i also had cyano. I am going to try adding more flow since things arent really getting blow off the sandbed.

HAVE YOU EVER EXPERIENCED A TANK EMERGENCY? SHARE YOUR STORY IN THE COMMENTS!

• Unfortunately, yes.

Votes: 46 64.8%
  • Thankfully, no.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other (pleas explain).

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back