Anything that eats palys?

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a paly problem that I thought I eradicated. Does anyone have tips on eradicating them or have suggestions as to what may eat them? They're the ubiquitous green ones that come in as a hitchhiker and I must have had one or two left, but they're proliferating like crazy!

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic of said Paly would help.

By far the most common Green/brown paly in the hobby would probably be Palythoa/protopalythoa mutuki. Are you referring to those?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a paly problem that I thought I eradicated. Does anyone have tips on eradicating them or have suggestions as to what may eat them? They're the ubiquitous green ones that come in as a hitchhiker and I must have had one or two left, but they're proliferating like crazy!
Turn off the pumps. Remove each polyp using a sharp knife scraping them sideways from their base off the rocks and shyphoning at the same time.
Don't forget to use protection against palytoxin! Gloves, goggles and close your mouth. Wash everything really well after. Be very careful with kids and pets around you! Be safe!!!

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic of said Paly would help.

By far the most common Green/brown paly in the hobby would probably be Palythoa/protopalythoa mutuki. Are you referring to those?
The nomenclature changed a while ago. Protopalythoa doesn't apply to any zoanthids anymore.
They can be P. mutuki, P. toxica, P. heliodiscus... they are all similar.
They look like these:
Below: P. heliodiscus.
1570086474782.png

Below: P. cf toxica.
1570086516438.png

Below, left: P. heliodiscus (?), right: P. cf toxica (?)
1570086557881.png

Below: P. mutuki:
1570086588829.png

Color variations don't determinate species' nomenclature, as we know. So any of the species above could have green pigments.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nomenclature changed a while ago. Protopalythoa doesn't apply to any zoanthids anymore.
They can be P. mutuki, P. toxica, P. heliodiscus... they are all similar.
They look like these:
Below: P. heliodiscus.
1570086474782.png

Below: P. cf toxica.
1570086516438.png

Below, left: P. heliodiscus (?), right: P. cf toxica (?)
1570086557881.png

Below: P. mutuki:
1570086588829.png

Color variations don't determinate species' nomenclature, as we know. So any of the species above could have green pigments.

Some people in the hobby still refer to P. mutuki as Protopalythoa, same way as people still refer to Micromussa lordhowensis as Acans, some people will get confused if they are not up to date with taxonomy reclassification, which is why I mentioned both like - Protopalythoa/palythoa

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people in the hobby still refer to P. mutuki as Protopalythoa, same way as people still refer to Micromussa lordhowensis as Acans, some people will get confused if they are not up to date with taxonomy reclassification, which is why I mentioned both like - Protopalythoa/palythoa
I've been trying to teach people for more than a decade about the proper way to call them and that's why I wrote that.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Gaudy Clown Crab eats palythoa and zoas exclusively besides the frozen I feed it. It is their natural diet. They are difficult to get ahold of though.

He has never touched another coral...even when I run out of paly which surprised me.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to teach people for more than a decade about the proper way to call them and that's why I wrote that.

Yet in the other thread, when I mentioned there needs to be reform on the misidentification of zoanthids as "palys" in common names used in the trade, you said " you feel sad for me, that it's too late and a lost cause"

along with the misinformation and extremism of palytoxin risks that you were spouting off and blowing way out proportion, as well as making incorrect claims such as "All zoanthids/ palys contain palytoxin and are very dangerous" which was quite comical and incorrect and do nothing but damage to the hobby, but I digress.

OP- post some pics of the palys/zoanthids you are trying to get rid of.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yet in the other thread, when I mentioned there needs to be reform on the misidentification of zoanthids as "palys" in common names used in the trade, you said " you feel sad for me, that it's too late and a lost cause"

along with the misinformation and extremism of palytoxin risks that you were spouting off and blowing way out proportion, as well as making incorrect claims such as "All zoanthids/ palys contain palytoxin and are very dangerous" which was quite comical and incorrect and do nothing but damage to the hobby, but I digress.

OP- post some pics of the palys/zoanthids you are trying to get rid of.
Read again. That is not what I've said.
You can say what you want, just like me.

Edit:
Your quotes are not real quotes, by the way.

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So called "Nuclear Green" aren't safe at all!!!
Brand new video published today:

Let's please be very careful with publishing any "relief" article or message about palytoxin!

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said in the other thread:

When you say nuclear greens are you referring to the P. toxica variety or nuclear green P. mutuki?
Because again, not all palythoa contain palytoxin.

Also that YouTube video doesn't prove anything, it simply someone else sharing their opinion.

I prefer scientific literature to use as my sources, not YouTube.

Please read.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2018/03/30/292219.full.pdf

Also, again, it's always wise to be careful with any coral, but there comes a point when words of caution turn into fear mongering, which is what I ask that you lay off of

Screenshot_20191004-182236_Drive.jpg

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C. Eymann:
Do you think it is safe to play the game you are playing?
Would you like anyone to get hurt if any "Nuclean Greens" could kill someone's daughter or even a dog?
Please stop trying to justify your thoughts. It sounds like a teen talking IMO.
If that is your opinion, please keep to yourself.
That would be the safest way to deal with such interpretation problem.
ANY Zoanthid COULD carry significant amount of palytoxin.
If you don't believe me go ask your doctor or any responsible zoanthid expert (biologist).
Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 1.58.57 PM.png

Last edited:

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C. Eymann:
Do you think it is safe to play the game you are playing?
Would you like anyone to get hurt if any "Nuclean Greens" could kill someone's daughter or even a dog?
Please stop trying to justify your thoughts. It sounds like a teen talking IMO.
If that is your opinion, please keep to yourself.
That would be the safest way to deal with such interpretation problem.
ANY Zoanthid COULD carry significant amount of palytoxin.
If you don't believe me go ask your doctor or a zoanthid expert.
Again, instead of using broad terms such as "nuclear greens" were you referring to P. mutuki or P. toxica ? could you use genus and species ? thanks

In every one of my posts on this topic I have stressed to handle all coral with caution.

I dont believe I'm the one being immature here, I think you need to approach this topic with a level head and pragmatically.

Again, caution= good. Fear mongering =bad

You are doing nobody in the hobby any good by blowing palytoxin poisoning risks way out of proportion and fear mongering that is potentially damaging to the hobby.

That's as far as I'm going with you, happy reefing!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy reefing? You could die happy then.
Safe reefing? Be alive.

Problem is that people will not care about using scientific names and they will embrace those cartoon names. There is no way we can change that anymore. And guess what!? They don't care. People actually like using them a lot. Search my name and you will never find any response to those "ID" threads. I'm against that big time! Anyway...

That's why we just can't generalize.
Here, from the sample in your post:
Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 1.43.14 PM.png

This is to help you understand how much one colony can differ from another independent of being of the same species or not. They all differ in the quantity of the toxin and therefore it is impossible to determinate if one is highly toxic or not. Unfortunately that is true to ANY zoanthid on Earth. We just have to be careful with any of these organisms in our systems, period.
I know that sounds harsh, but it is the only way to be 100% safe enjoying the hobby.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Gaudy Clown Crab eats palythoa and zoas exclusively besides the frozen I feed it. It is their natural diet. They are difficult to get ahold of though.

He has never touched another coral...even when I run out of paly which surprised me.
Could you please post some pictures of your crab?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

Not really my place, but felt a slight nudge back into the direction of the OP question would be helpful. The other debate is taking over the thread, may be best continue thru PM.

@Tamberav those crabs are awesome. Never knew they had that type of diet.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back