AP700 Fan fixes?

Mr.Asbury

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fan on one of my two AP700 lights has stopped working. I am 2weeks past my 1yr warranty. Does anyone know of a replacement that can allow this to still function? My light started shutting off in the middle of the day on Friday due to this. I currently have my canopy top open with a fan on an empty student desk blowing on the light as a temporary solution, but cannot do this long-term for obvious reasons.

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't find anything about its specific fan. First I would try asking Kessel nicely for a replacement. If they can't sell you one ask for the specs on the fan.

If Kessel won't help the next thing I would try is taking the fixture apart and removing the fan. The fan will most likely have its specs printed on a round sticker that is located on the mounting frame behind the motor. With that info you sold be able to find another fan that matches without to much trouble.

I would dog Kessil hard first. Call a few times, if they won't help take it to face book and twitter. Those lights are to expensive to be dying after a year.

Let us know if they help or not.

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fan on one of my two AP700 lights has stopped working. I am 2weeks past my 1yr warranty. Does anyone know of a replacement that can allow this to still function? My light started shutting off in the middle of the day on Friday due to this. I currently have my canopy top open with a fan on an empty student desk blowing on the light as a temporary solution, but cannot do this long-term for obvious reasons.
You can email us at [email protected] and our customer service team would be happy to troubleshoot. The first thing they will recommend is cleaning out the fan with canned air- sometimes dust and salt creep can prevent the fan from working and a simple cleaning can get it in working condition again!

OP
OP
Mr.Asbury

Mr.Asbury

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't find anything about its specific fan. First I would try asking Kessel nicely for a replacement. If they can't sell you one ask for the specs on the fan.

If Kessel won't help the next thing I would try is taking the fixture apart and removing the fan. The fan will most likely have its specs printed on a round sticker that is located on the mounting frame behind the motor. With that info you sold be able to find another fan that matches without to much trouble.

I would dog Kessil hard first. Call a few times, if they won't help take it to face book and twitter. Those lights are to expensive to be dying after a year.

Let us know if they help or not.

We searched for a short period of time online while I was feeding and doing a water change, but couldn't find a replacement / specs on it. We cleaned the fan off gently with a toothbrush, but I didn't want to try and pull it out or anything due to fear of damaging the light. My wife sent a message through their site on Sunday morning, but we haven't heard back yet. Was just wondering if anyone here had a solution while I waited - it was the weekend so I'm sure their customer support people were probably not working at the time.

You can email us at [email protected] and our customer service team would be happy to troubleshoot. The first thing they will recommend is cleaning out the fan with canned air- sometimes dust and salt creep can prevent the fan from working and a simple cleaning can get it in working condition again!

We sent an e-mail Sunday, but haven't heard back yet. I'm sure we will soon. We took the black plate off the back and gently cleaned it with a soft toothbrush, but it didn't help. The fan didn't appear to be trying to spin. I can try some canned air tomorrow after work, we have some stored in the back. Thanks for the response!

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We searched for a short period of time online while I was feeding and doing a water change, but couldn't find a replacement / specs on it. We cleaned the fan off gently with a toothbrush, but I didn't want to try and pull it out or anything due to fear of damaging the light. My wife sent a message through their site on Sunday morning, but we haven't heard back yet. Was just wondering if anyone here had a solution while I waited - it was the weekend so I'm sure their customer support people were probably not working at the time.

We sent an e-mail Sunday, but haven't heard back yet. I'm sure we will soon. We took the black plate off the back and gently cleaned it with a soft toothbrush, but it didn't help. The fan didn't appear to be trying to spin. I can try some canned air tomorrow after work, we have some stored in the back. Thanks for the response!
Our office isn't open on weekends but our staff is working hard to respond to all the inquires we have received over the weekend! If you haven't heard from us by tomorrow just give us a call- we understand these issues can be urgent when dealing with a reef tank.

symon_say

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I have read on other threads than some people have problem with the kessil AP700 fan, mine stop working and lamp is out of warranty, so I clean it, lubricate it, but didn't solve anything, and I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on how to solve this without replacing the whole unit.

To solve this I will add a fan on top of the lamp where vents are, so my question is, should I put the fan pushing or pulling air of the lamp?

I h_ate Kissel light

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same problem here. I have an AP 700 with a noisy fan, overheating and shutting down. The original light I purchased lasted a little bit over one year and was replaced by Kessil with new units. Two years later, the same problem re-occurs and the light is out of warranty. the worst $800 I spent on reefing equipment. I contacted Kessil, they asked me to clean it up, which didn't work then asked me to update the firmware and they didn't have a mac compatible file to run on a mac computer. Then offered me a discount for a newer version to buy or a $100 diagnosis + more for more repairs not to mention shipping both ways. I will never buy a Kissel again. I would expect an $800 light to last a little bit longer than 2 years.

Attachments

• Video.mov
    1.9 MB

Drew Fitzgerald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
** Broken Kessil AP700 Fan not spinning Update **

Previously, I wrote that I actually have 3 Kessil AP700's. Two out of the Three have the same issues.

It started when the lights started making a humming / ticking noise.

After inspecting the unit I noticed the fan was spinning very weakly and not blowing out much air.
Eventually, the fan would just stop. This made the light switch off because it was overheating.
After searching for advice online, it appears to be a common issue with these lights.

Now, before people jump in and say "did I try using compressed air to blow out the dust" or "have I tried using WD40" or even "take the unit apart and give it a really good clean"...Yes, I did all of this and maybe it helped for a while but a few weeks later the same issue would happen again.

Clearly, the fan needed to be replaced.

I reached out to Kessil and they explained that the fans could not, in fact, be replaced!! They also explained that as the lights were also no longer under warranty, I would need to replace the whole unit...Sorry, both units!!

For such an expensive light I was shocked that a light unit, that retails for £800-£900 would need replacing because a £20 fan stopped spinning?

Anyway, I was not about to bin the lights due to a fan problem, and seeing I am not a tech-savvy guy, I reached out to a computer company here in Guernsey to see if they could help to fix them.

The guy came around and looked at one of the lights and could not see a problem replacing the fan and took one of them away with him to see if he could find a solution.

Today Sam (the guy that said he might be able to replace the fans) returned the dead Kessil AP700 that had a broken/burnt-out fan.

The good news is, he did manage to replace the fan and the once dead AP700 is back up and running. What is even better, the new fan he used to replace the broken one with, actually runs the lights cooler and is very quite. So, it's even better than it was before!!

I am glad I did not poke around the unit myself as he mentioned that it was not that straightforward to get the old fan out and he also needed to micro-solder some wires and then coat them with a waterproof solution... all sounds far too "fiddly" for me.

Sam kindly documented the process for me.
Sadly, It's in a word document which I can't see how to post it here.
If anyone knows how to do it, let me know and I happily post it if it helps.

If you are having or have a having or have a dead Kessil AP700 I would strongly recommend reaching out to Sam.

If you want to reach out to Sam (the man) his company is called https://techy.gg/

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 122 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back