APC UPS fan or something else

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 maybe you know this or anyone else with a UPS. I am a little bothered by the noise coming from my UPS (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TIU7CC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

It must be the fan. It isn't noticeable when I have the TV on but with everything off in the room it bothers my ears with a sound I can't quite describe.

Anyways, the real question is can this thing be in my uninsulated garage? I didn't see anything from APC about temperatures it must be housed in... but I have to assume it was meant to be indoors. It does have a temperature monitor, so I guess it would tell me if it was too hot or cold.

Do you think any harm can come from putting it in the garage? It is 5 or so years old but the self test still checks out well. Maybe I just need to clean the fan... if I can get to it.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 maybe you know this or anyone else with a UPS. I am a little bothered by the noise coming from my UPS (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TIU7CC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

It must be the fan. It isn't noticeable when I have the TV on but with everything off in the room it bothers my ears with a sound I can't quite describe.

Anyways, the real question is can this thing be in my uninsulated garage? I didn't see anything from APC about temperatures it must be housed in... but I have to assume it was meant to be indoors. It does have a temperature monitor, so I guess it would tell me if it was too hot or cold.

Do you think any harm can come from putting it in the garage? It is 5 or so years old but the self test still checks out well. Maybe I just need to clean the fan... if I can get to it.
If you live in the south you are probably ok. Most batteries can be damaged if they freeze so that would be the concern.

OP
OP
Monkeynaut

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you live in the south you are probably ok. Most batteries can be damaged if they freeze so that would be the concern.

Good. So you wouldn’t be concerned about the summer heat but if it gets too cold I should be sure it itsnt below 32?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good. So you wouldn’t be concerned about the summer heat but if it gets too cold I should be sure it itsnt below 32?
The concern in the summer is that it will likely shut itself down if it gets much over 100F. It is unlikely it would do much damage but it won't provide protection, either.

OP
OP
Monkeynaut

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The concern in the summer is that it will likely shut itself down if it gets much over 100F. It is unlikely it would do much damage but it won't provide protection, either.
Hmmm, but it would still pass through electricity when shut down? I guess I could power it down and see. I started thinking more about what you said. I have my car in the garage with its electronics and it doesn't overheat. It makes sense It could stay out there. I also don't think my garage ever hits 100 so I will try it.
I attached a video with the "squeal" it is making. Basically any other constant sound can drown it out, except of course that water noise you also hear in the video.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn't an unusual sound for an industrial inverter. They expect these things to be put in a server room where everything else will drown out the noise.

I'm not sure if it would keep running if it hits a high temp.

Abraham Gonzalez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to APC the environmental temperatures their Matrix-UPS batteries should be exposed to should not exceed 0°C - 40°C (32°F - 104°F). However the Smart-UPS systems as it looks like you are running should not exceed 30°C or 86°F. Also that sound is common on these UPS units.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to APC the environmental temperatures their Matrix-UPS batteries should be exposed to should not exceed 0°C - 40°C (32°F - 104°F). However the Smart-UPS systems as it looks like you are running should not exceed 30°C or 86°F. Also that sound is common on these UPS units.
Here is the data for his specific unit.
upload_2018-2-8_15-38-33.png

OP
OP
Monkeynaut

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know why I couldn’t find that information. But thank you @Abraham Gonzalez and @Brew12
I am going to try and tuck it behind a couch later tonight. If that doesnt work it seems the garage should

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back