Apex A3 / EB832 / COR20 control

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I don't plug my COR20s into the EB832, can I still configure and monitor them via the aquabus cable?

I want the main return going directly to power, eliminating a fail point in the EB. I want the main return still pumping even if the EB stops functioning.

I have them set up standalone for the moment, running very low flow since the tank is only 106g and I have two COR20s. A few weeks back I plugged them into the EB and it seemed to take control and jack up the flow. I quickly disconnected since I'm still learning about the Apex.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you can control the speed . This is from another thread
"I would note that while the COR 20 can be used in standalone mode, it has no 0-10V input, so you won't be able to control it with a non-apex controller, beyond on/off."

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you can control the speed . This is from another thread
"I would note that while the COR 20 can be used in standalone mode, it has no 0-10V input, so you won't be able to control it with a non-apex controller, beyond on/off."
Not sure I understand... I want to control it with the Apex. Are you saying that the only way to control flow is if the Apex can reduce the voltage to the unit via the EB?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I don't plug my COR20s into the EB832, can I still configure and monitor them via the aquabus cable?

I want the main return going directly to power, eliminating a fail point in the EB. I want the main return still pumping even if the EB stops functioning.

I have them set up standalone for the moment, running very low flow since the tank is only 106g and I have two COR20s. A few weeks back I plugged them into the EB and it seemed to take control and jack up the flow. I quickly disconnected since I'm still learning about the Apex.

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking or trying to do. Yes, the Cor 20 can run outside an Apex ecosystem. The control would be done via the driver only.

If you attach the Cor 20 to the Apex then you have access to real time information, integrate to feed routines, and monitors to include output control. Connect it up, aquabus, and then use the task wizard, add or configure Cor and you are set. It doesn't require the power adapter/plug to use a EB832 socket and in fact it would be a waste in my opinion. Not to mention if the EB832 fails you would lose power to the return pump.

Edit: I actually run 2 x Cor 15 and 1 x Cor 20. Since they use the sample plumbing unions I run a Cor 15 and Cor 20 for my returns and the remaining Cor 15 for my skimmer. The Cor 20 is using a circuit outside my EB832. This way should the energybar go I still have a return pump running. If a return pump fails I can take the skimmer off line and use it. Same if the skimmer goes. All interchangeable with the extra safety of the 20 using power outside the Apex ecosystem. Within Fusion I can see, and control, pumps if needed.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I understand... I want to control it with the Apex. Are you saying that the only way to control flow is if the Apex can reduce the voltage to the unit via the EB?

You are correct in your first post. Plug the COR into the wall, and then an aquabus cable to the apex. You can fully control and program it via the aquabus cable.

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't require the power adapter/plug to use a EB832 socket and in fact it would be a waste in my opinion. Not to mention if the EB832 fails you would lose power to the return pump.

And that is exactly my goal. To control the COR20 via the aquabus but have it plugged directly into the wall jack to eliminate the EB as a potential point of failure.

I tried it again yesterday and same thing... the COR immediately jumped up to 50% power (from 20%). I'll have to get more familiar with the app. Thanks!

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it again yesterday and same thing... the COR immediately jumped up to 50% power (from 20%). I'll have to get more familiar with the app. Thanks!

You have to program the COR speed using the COR task. If you are concerned with it briefly getting too strong, unplug the COR from the wall and just connect to it via USB. Program the speed, and then plug it into the wall.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that is exactly my goal. To control the COR20 via the aquabus but have it plugged directly into the wall jack to eliminate the EB as a potential point of failure.

Did you go into the Task wizard and select COR - add or configure a COR pump? As @TheHarold noted this will get the tile for you in Fusion and you can see if it is auto or on. Also allows you to select the gear icon and adjust, etc.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back