Apex A3 pro setup problem Need HELP!

455Cutlassdave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to Apex so hopefully this is just a newbie problem.

I mounted the head unit and EB32 as directed then connected them and started setup. During the wifi setup the light went from blue to orange and kicked me off. I reset the unit and now there is no power going to the plugs (led 1-8 off) or the head unit from via the aquabus cable.

I can hear a fan running in the EB32 and have tried pushing the reset and unplugging And plugging back in. No change.

I need to figure this out quickly as everything that was running my tank is now unplugged and apart for mounting on the new controller board.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During set up it took me 3-4 tries before it finally went through. Switching to orange between like you mentioned. I think getting it connected to internet was like step 1 on the app set up, so you will need to get that sorted before you are able to really use it anyways.
If this is taking too long you could plug your tank equipment into a regular power strip, as it is not required to be connected to the apex to get it up and running to start.

OP
OP
455Cutlassdave

455Cutlassdave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on running power from another outlet now to get life support systems back up.

The issue is the EB32 is not powering anything for me to attempt further setup. It's like it's dead.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on running power from another outlet now to get life support systems back up.

The issue is the EB32 is not powering anything for me to attempt further setup. It's like it's dead.
If you can't power the head unit from the EB832, it is almost certain that there is an electrical problem with the EB832. I'm just surprised this happened during initial setup.
Does the Neptune logo on the EB832 light up when you plug it into the wall?

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very odd. But it's clearly an electrical problem. Is the unit brand new from Neptune?
I'd unplug absolutely everything from the EB832, including the head unit and just plug in the EB832 into the wall all by itself. The neptune logo should start flashing. If it doesn't and you've already attempted to reset the breaker on the back, the EB832 is a toast.
If it's no longer under warranty, I can likely repair it for you.

OP
OP
455Cutlassdave

455Cutlassdave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found an auxiliary power supply that is rated for the head unit and was able to repower everything. Does this mean the main power on the EB32 is dead?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Call Neptune and they will get you taken care of. Save yourself hours of troubleshooting on here and go straight to the source to get it resolved ASAP

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found an auxiliary power supply that is rated for the head unit and was able to repower everything. Does this mean the main power on the EB32 is dead?
Define everything. Can you switch outlets on the EB832 from the head unit?
Sounds like the 24v PSU or the circuit around it is dead.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call Neptune and they will get you taken care of. Save yourself hours of troubleshooting on here and go straight to the source to get it resolved ASAP
If only it was this simple. Neptune requires setting up a troubleshooting appointment over the phone, which sometime takes days.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If only it was this simple. Neptune requires setting up a troubleshooting appointment over the phone, which sometime takes days.

On a brand new unit like this, they will either talk to me immediately or I have BRS (assuming it came from them) on the phone returning it and sending me a brand new one overnight.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that going to the vendor instead of the manufacturer and using the return policy is a smart idea in this case.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree that going to the vendor instead of the manufacturer and using the return policy is a smart idea in this case.

If it's BRS, I bet a new 832 is sent out today if one was to ask nicely and they will handle the rest behind the scenes. Especially if Neptune is going to take days to resolve this

OP
OP
455Cutlassdave

455Cutlassdave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did buy from BRS. With the head unit plugged it aux power it is running And let me finish linking to fusion. It is also now powering outlets.

If I unplug the aux power to the head unit the whole thing dies despite the EB32 having a power source. It appears the EB32 is bad from the factory. Talk about disappointment.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did buy from BRS. With the head unit plugged it aux power it is running And let me finish linking to fusion. It is also now powering outlets.

If I unplug the aux power to the head unit the whole thing dies despite the EB32 having a power source. It appears the EB32 is bad from the factory. Talk about disappointment.

Definitely sucks but happens once in a while with all companies.

I'd personally call BRS and tell them the situation.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By aux power do you mean the aquabus cable? That is all that is needed to power & connect the headunit

OP
OP
455Cutlassdave

455Cutlassdave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No by aux power I mean using the spot built in to provide direct power. This is allowing the aquabus cable to power the EB32 effectively working in reverse.

If I only use power to the EB32 and and the aquabus cable from the EB32 to the head unit I get nothing.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No by aux power I mean using the spot built in to provide direct power. This is allowing the aquabus cable to power the EB32 effectively working in reverse.

If I only use power to the EB32 and and the aquabus cable from the EB32 to the head unit I get nothing.
This.

Internally, EB832 has two power sources, a 12v PSU and a 24v PSU. The 12v PSU is only providing power to the relays switching outlets on/off. The 24v PSU effectively powers everything else, including aquabus, main controller, LED indicators, over step down converters. But those can also be powered over aquabus (except for 1Link 24v outlets). Which is likely what's happening here. The reason the AC outlets work is because the 12v PSU is likely still working.

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you've completed only the first step. Also, being brand new, the EB832 LEDs won't do anything until you program the outlets. It's very unlikely (not impossible) there's a hardware issue out of the box, more likely a user error. Go to their website here and follow the step by step.

Now that you have the orange light on the Apex you need to connect directly to it (as if it were an internet connection/router) then log in to the local dash to set up remote access and connect to Fusion. It's not a difficult process but you have to follow it exactly step by step.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back