Apex Classic Worth It?

NoLobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone near me is selling their Apex Classic for $200 bucks (temp probe, eb8, pH probe, display). Is this piece of tech worth it? Today I use an Inkbird controller for heater and fan and have a separate pH monitor. Do you feel like the Apex is a big upgrade beyond that? Will it make my life easier/better? He has a bunch of different modules too, but I have not heard good things about the salinity module. I have a 20 gal long mixed reef tank.

Any thoughts or user experiences would be great! I know the classic isn't that upgradeable anymore to use things like the trident.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still running an Apex Jr. on my 300 gal system, so you don't need the latest version.

Being "worth it" depends on what you are interested in doing with it. If you're happy with your setup now, then it might not be worth moving. One big thing that the Apex will give you is the ability to monitor and adjust some things remotely, which has been a lifesaver for me.

OP
OP
NoLobster

NoLobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I guess by worth it I mean what are the features you enjoy about it. It's hard to fully understand what it can do without having it.

Can you give me an example of what you were able to change remotely?

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 'classic' model. i don't have issues with it but I also have the lab grade probes. I do double check with salinity and the pH with a refrac and pH test kit every so often and it's pretty close.

I would evaluate what you might want in the future and base your purchase on that. At this point I am weighing options on whether or not I want to 'upgrade' to the 2016 model so I can add on a Trident or, go with a MindStream.

I do love my Apex, but I do take issue with having to purchase something new every few years to be able to get the newest product to go along with it.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone near me is selling their Apex Classic for $200 bucks (temp probe, eb8, pH probe, display). Is this piece of tech worth it? Today I use an Inkbird controller for heater and fan and have a separate pH monitor. Do you feel like the Apex is a big upgrade beyond that? Will it make my life easier/better? He has a bunch of different modules too, but I have not heard good things about the salinity module. I have a 20 gal long mixed reef tank.

Any thoughts or user experiences would be great! I know the classic isn't that upgradeable anymore to use things like the trident.
IT's worth it.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that I have a 300g mixed reef system (DT + sump), and a skimmer, UV light, ATO, automated water change, RODI+ water mixing setup, flow meters, dosers, and a calcium reactor. That may be way more than you will ever need in a 20g tank!

The Apex is involved in almost all of the mechanical processes in the tank. It monitors my return pump flow so I know when it is becoming obstructed, it manages the pH and flow rate through the calcium reactor, it controls the top off pump, runs the auto water change, makes new RO water when I need it, turns my skimmer on and off based on when I feed the tank, controls my heaters, runs my dosers, and I am sure I am forgetting something.

I travel a lot, and the remote monitoring gives me peace of mind in case my family isn't able to watch the tank. I was half a world away one time when the Apex notified me that the UV pump had failed. I was able to remotely turn the UV light off so it wasn't going to overheat. I lose power alot, and the Apex lets me know when that happens. My son called me one time to let me know that the skimmer was overflowing, and I was able to shut it down remotely. When my water level drops or increases unexpectedly, I am notified and I can try to take corrective action remotely.

All those things aren't "must haves", but they do make things easier for me. In your case, I don't know what tasks you manage today for your tank so it is hard to say how it might help you other than the sure thing of being able to at least monitor some things - even if only temps and pH - while you are away. The next thing most people do at some point is set up an ATO, if they have the room. After that, it gets to dosing, water changes, stuff like that.

I will say this - I have 6 other small tanks that are all fish-only, and I don't have the Apex doing anything with those ...

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
apex classic for $200 is a great deal. I have one running my frag tanks and have used them on various tanks for the last ~5 years. I havent seen any features in the new one that made me think upgrading was necessary.

Ebslinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not worth it...

Can you tell me how to get in touch with the person selling it?

J/K I love my Apex and wouldn't have another tank with out it.

P.S. I have the full version and only use the temp and pH probes anyways.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the above. I have an Apex Classic monitoring both my 65 & 120 gal tanks and it works great. Mine handles heaters, lights, temp, ATOs. It's hardwired so results are near real-time. For$200 that's a deal but make sure you clear all previous settings and get previous owners passwords.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex classic is awesome. Put on a cheap WiFi adapter and you have 95% of the features of the newest apex, at a quarter of the price. You’re (mostly) just missing out on individual outlet power monitoring and trident compatibility.

OP
OP
NoLobster

NoLobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the above. I have an Apex Classic monitoring both my 65 & 120 gal tanks and it works great. Mine handles heaters, lights, temp, ATOs. It's hardwired so results are near real-time. For$200 that's a deal but make sure you clear all previous settings and get previous owners passwords.

Great call on clearing all the previous settings. I didn't know about the admin password and the link to fusion. I'll factory reset it as well anyways just in case.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Apex classic is awesome. Put on a cheap WiFi adapter and you have 95% of the features of the newest apex, at a quarter of the price. You’re (mostly) just missing out on individual outlet power monitoring and trident compatibility.
Link? I'm learning.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
For $200 yes as this is expandable with various modules and add a netgear wifi unit and its' wireless !!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its worth it if you need its features.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
oh sure. Basically apex classic, lite, and JR only take ethernet.

these WiFi extenders have a Ethernet port- so they can give the apex internet access from your existing WiFi network.
LinkIsHere
Thank you! I was wondering which one!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 152 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back