Apex Continuously Reboots

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone experienced issues with Quantium fiber and their Apex Head unit? Mine continuously reboots after I switched from Xfinity to Quantum Fiber. The problem started immediately after reconnecting the head unit to the new network. After contacting Neptune support and them running some diagnostics they decided to ship out a refurbished head unit for me to swap out and rule out that my head unit was faulty. I received the head unit today and did a backup of my Apex config, powered off everything switched head unit, turned everything back on, got the new head unit connected to my network and reload the my config file. The eb832 started to beep while this was going on and after finishing it was not connecting to the head unit. Seems like my backup file was corrupt because my date did not load correctly and both unit continue to reboot every few minutes. Of course now I have to reprogram every outlet from scratch and waiting till monday to call support. Has anyone experienced this before? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Apex still rebooting after you replaced the controller? Are you connected via ethernet or WiFi to the Apex?
Yes both head units continue to reboot. I tried both ways, wired and wireless.

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this to see if anyone has any tips or suggestions. Neptune and Quantum fiber are still "researching" and the issue continues.

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just in the last 3 hours

Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 9.05.18 PM.jpg

Mav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know Apex but some equipment runs on 2.4 ghz and not 5. Could the connection speed be incompatible? Just a suggestion.

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know Apex but some equipment runs on 2.4 ghz and not 5. Could the connection speed be incompatible? Just a suggestion.
I shouldn't even be detecting 5ghz because its not dual band.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try setting a static ip address if you haven't already. I had some wifi issues with a random address, but went away after I assigned the Apex a permanent (static) ip address. This is done in the wifi router.

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like your wifi is dropping not the head unit resetting?

I got away from the wifi, its hot garbage as in the chipset isnt worth a darn.
Prior to switching from Comcast to Quantum Fiber the apex was running for almost 2 years without any connectivity issue.

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try setting a static ip address if you haven't already. I had some wifi issues with a random address, but went away after I assigned the Apex a permanent (static) ip address. This is done in the wifi router.
Yes already tried that, also changed the port just to try something else and issue continues.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prior to switching from Comcast to Quantum Fiber the apex was running for almost 2 years without any connectivity issue.
But as I asked above is the wifi is resetting (dropping and reconnecting) and NOT the head unit itself? If the issue is exclusive to wifi connectivity, then I'm betting your using some different hardware with the switch from comcast to quantum and I'd start there with troubleshooting.

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But as I asked above is the wifi is resetting (dropping and reconnecting) and NOT the head unit itself? If the issue is exclusive to wifi connectivity, then I'm betting your using some different hardware with the switch from comcast to quantum and I'd start there with troubleshooting.

The head unit is the one rebooting. I tried with a hardwired connection and it still reboots. No other device on the network is having any problems. The modem and router is different. However I reconnected my old router to the new modem and the issue continues. Neither Neptune or Quantum Fiber have been able to figure it out.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you have another head unit dud and that sucks. Only other thing I can think of is electrical interference from something near by causing the head unit to constantly reset. Or you have aquabus issues from something daisychained to the unit. Maybe a bad aquabus cable (btdt and was a pain to diagnose).

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you have another head unit dud and that sucks. Only other thing I can think of is electrical interference from something near by causing the head unit to constantly reset. Or you have aquabus issues from something daisychained to the unit. Maybe a bad aquabus cable (btdt and was a pain to diagnose).
Neptune sent out another head unit to rule out a faulty head unit and they new one does the same thing. This all started the moment the new network came online. So this is why I believe it has to do bit the new modem/network but nobody seems to be able to figure out what it is.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. If you don’t have the accessory power supply, I’d get one and see what happens with the apex with nothing plugged into any aqua bus ports, just the bare head unit

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will need to get one
Maybe an lfs will let you use one in the store just to see what happens. It’s a plus to have one as it allows you to be notified of a power outage. I have my complete system on dedicated gfci circuits and then have the accessory power supply and 1Links plugged into a separate living room circuit. This way I get a notification if a gfci ever trips, and my wav pumps will continue to run.

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe an lfs will let you use one in the store just to see what happens. It’s a plus to have one as it allows you to be notified of a power outage. I have my complete system on dedicated gfci circuits and then have the accessory power supply and 1Links plugged into a separate living room circuit. This way I get a notification if a gfci ever trips, and my wav pumps will continue to run.
Just tried and with nothing connected to the head unit it still reboots.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back