APEX Controller - Router Connection

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have an APEX and have any good ideas of how to connect it the the internet when your router is on the other side of the house?

Is there an adapter it can be connected to that will connect it to my router?

I would really like to buy one to monitor the tank when out of town but can't figure out how I will connect it to the internet.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the process of setting up my 210 with one. I plan on using an "Powerline adapter"

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Powe.../dp/B008JFBM1E/ref=cm_cr_pr_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Basically, you need (( at least )) 2. One you plug into an outlet (( has to be directly into the outlet, no power stripes )) near your router, run an Ethernet cable from your router to it. The other one, you plug into the outlet near the tank. Run another cable from it to the APEX. Been using it for a TIVO, and been working great. (( the link I put here is for a single one, since I already have 2, make sure you get the "kit" if you go this route, it has 2 )).

I also have an extra wireless bridge (( ASUS EA-N66 Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Range Extender )) that I thought about using (( using one in the basement )), but it does disconnect every once in a while -- given all that I plan on putting into this tank -- would rather stayed wired. But, it could work.

Fish76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mine connected to a powerline adapter as Trex mentioned, but I would have problems with it, like the Apex freezing and not connecting. Sometimes I would turn on an outlet on the EB8 which would trigger a 12v relay and the whole system would lock up and would only work if I reset the Apex, maybe to much electrical noise on the lines or something in my house. After about a yr of dealing with a powerline I said screw it and went with a Netgear WNCE2001 wifi adapter that a lot of Apex owners are using:

Amazon.com: NETGEAR Universal N300 Wi-Fi to Ethernet Adapter (WNCE2001): Electronics)

Ever since I switched to wireless, I don't have any of the problems I had using the powerline adapter. I know lots of people have used powerline, but for me, it just was not reliable with my system.

Last edited:

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mine connected to a powerline adapter as Trex mentioned, but I would have problems with it, like the Apex freezing and not connecting. Sometimes I would turn on an outlet on the EB8 which would trigger a 12v relay and the whole system would lock up and would only work if I reset the Apex, maybe to much electrical noise on the lines or something in my house. After about a yr of dealing with a powerline I said screw it and went with a Netgear WNCE2001 wifi adapter that a lot of Apex owners are using:

Amazon.com: NETGEAR Universal N300 Wi-Fi to Ethernet Adapter (WNCE2001): Electronics)

Ever since I switched to wireless, I don't have any of the problems I had using the powerline adapter. I know lots of people have used powerline, but for me, it just was not reliable with my system.
This is exactly what I have been using with my Apex jr. It was easy to set up and has been very reliable.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back