Apex conversion to GHL

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously, LOL, I moved from Miami in 1997, so yea, a while ago.

Miami born and bread!!!
I do nice work;) I am shoot black matted finish this week with Melesi finishes;)

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can enable logging on any probe interface(orp, Ph, etc) (ION, KH) and you can also use the log book option also for other parameters you wish to track and plot them also.

Last edited:

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Logging on the GHL probes called saved data shown below;

A65CC8C1-1F19-42F4-9E28-24036A331392.png

You can also use the log book option also to record values.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m super invested in Neptune. I like it and it’s changed a lot for me. I use cones to help stabilize the trident tests and just change them at 30% instead of when it tells me to. Their return pumps are awesome.

I still can’t help but feel that I’ve accepted a lot of quirks (like the trident). I was ready to switch the the Coralvue Hydros system but then I bought their wave engine. I went through 2 Gyre Xf350 controllers+wifi module before I bought the Hydros Wave Engine as a last ditch effort before going back to Ecotech. It’s buggy. The software is odd and while it’s gotten better, it originally made no sense. I have spent two times resetting the wifi on it completely for no reason in the past month. I hate waking up to a still tank and having to start my day troubleshooting equipment.

I run Ecotech lights and Gyre pumps and they have 0 integration into my Apex despite promises. I have 3 apps and if I can find a reliable nitrate/phos checker I’ll be at 4.

I believe companies are freezing Neptune out and it is getting to the point where if you choose an ecosystem you will need their lights, their pumps, their returns, etc or prepare for additional gateways, controllers, and apps.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the interface, @Ditto said something to me that took a little bit to understand, but now I do. The interface no longer controls me, I control the interface, meaning, as great as the Apex interface was, it caused us reefers to constantly monitor it and tweak it. I am no longer a slave to the interface itself.

I could not think of any other way to explain it but happy your experiencing what I did :)

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m super invested in Neptune. I like it and it’s changed a lot for me. I use cones to help stabilize the trident tests and just change them at 30% instead of when it tells me to. Their return pumps are awesome.

I still can’t help but feel that I’ve accepted a lot of quirks (like the trident). I was ready to switch the the Coralvue Hydros system but then I bought their wave engine. I went through 2 Gyre Xf350 controllers+wifi module before I bought the Hydros Wave Engine as a last ditch effort before going back to Ecotech. It’s buggy. The software is odd and while it’s gotten better, it originally made no sense. I have spent two times resetting the wifi on it completely for no reason in the past month. I hate waking up to a still tank and having to start my day troubleshooting equipment.

I run Ecotech lights and Gyre pumps and they have 0 integration into my Apex despite promises. I have 3 apps and if I can find a reliable nitrate/phos checker I’ll be at 4.

I believe companies are freezing Neptune out and it is getting to the point where if you choose an ecosystem you will need their lights, their pumps, their returns, etc or prepare for additional gateways, controllers, and apps.
I disagree in that it was Neptune that was freezing @Bulk Reef Supply , @MarineDepot , and a few others out over the Coralvue Hydros engine. I have a big problem with someone using their influence and size to force others out.

Sorry, but Neptunes return pumps are overrated. I have 2 Cor 20's and the flow in subpar to say the least, when using their OWN flow sensors. I am getting at max 600 GPH on both, HMMM. I will switch to 2 Ecotech L2's, with GHL flow sensors.

We are here to try and make this hobby better. ;) :)

I like Ecotech and I am currently using 2 MP40's, 4 Radion XR15 G5 blues, and will switch to 2 L2 return pumps as well.

Last edited:

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree in that it was Neptune that was freezing @Bulk Reef Supply , @MarineDepot , and a few others out over the Coralvue Hydros engine. I have a big problem with someone using their influence and size to force others out.

Sorry, but Neptunes return pumps are overrated. I have 2 Cor 20's and the flow in subpar to say the least, when using their OWN flow sensors. I am getting at max 600 GPH on both, HMMM. I will switch to 2 Ecotech L2's, with GHL flow sensors.
Perceptions and opinions on equipment in this hobby always amaze me. Everyone can view things differently and user experiences vary so much. My L2 got banished to the saltwater mixing tank after I got the COR. I took apart my COR today for cleaning (the first time since I bought it a year or so ago) and couldn’t help admire how well it’s built…once you get over the orange plastic. The flow has remained stable and excellent for me. Different strokes for different folks I suppose!
Neptune freezing out everyone else (and I could see that seeing how they’re gone heavy into hardware- pumps, lights, etc) or the other way around, I can’t help but start to feel like they’re actively working against integration when only a few years ago it felt like Neptune was working for it.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perceptions and opinions on equipment in this hobby always amaze me. Everyone can view things differently and user experiences vary so much. My L2 got banished to the saltwater mixing tank after I got the COR. I took apart my COR today for cleaning (the first time since I bought it a year or so ago) and couldn’t help admire how well it’s built…once you get over the orange plastic. The flow has remained stable and excellent for me. Different strokes for different folks I suppose!
Neptune freezing out everyone else (and I could see that seeing how they’re gone heavy into hardware- pumps, lights, etc) or the other way around, I can’t help but start to feel like they’re actively working against integration when only a few years ago it felt like Neptune was working for it.
And I fully respect your opinion. I can simply go off of my own experiences. :)

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course! I can rant for hours about my experience with Kessils
no worries and absolutely. I’m too old to be a fanboy of anything.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course! I can rant for hours about my experience with Kessils

no worries and absolutely. I’m too old to be a fanboy of anything.
I am just trying to get to display a honest opinion of the difference between the 2. Most people can't afford a $4000 switch, and I barely can, but I just felt it was worth the cost to help other reefers who want a aquarium controller decide. I am just that type of person that will put them shelve out their to help others. Just one of my many quarks.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh, they're always like that. They only up for integration towards its own ecosystem, aka the walled garden. They're always against integrate with other platforms, especially other aquarium focused platforms. They even told me to cease and desist because I was playing with their API. And it's via a support ticket I opened for unrelated issues. They're opposite of open platform. Nowadays, every big manufacturers are making their own platforms. So it's only natural that they don't want to work with Neptune System.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OHH, and if you are anything like me, I like to look at readings in the way that I am used to. In the Apex Fusion you have to look at the salinity in ppm, while in the GHL Control panel you can convert that to Specific Gravity, which is what most of us are used to, aka refractometer. I have to give GHL a .5 for this small luxury.

Apex 1 GHL 2

Screenshot (88).png

Can not see the image you posted.

How do you get it to display in specific gravity? I can only find three options mS, PSU and kg/L.

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the ghl offer a screen similar to apex that will show you all the readings at a quick glance? Will it show it in a graph form like the apex for say ph and temp and kh if you have the director? I’ve been going back and forth between apex and ghl for a couple months, read Dittos conversion to ghl and look forward to yours. Hesitant because 1) I’ve never used a controller and 2) I am not super good on a computer as in coding, which from what I understand both require to an extent. From what I’ve read ghl seems to make a very good product but the software/interface is a turnoff for some. I do like the look of the ghl though, interested to see how your system turns out, thanks for taking the time to give an honest comparison.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can not see the image you posted.

How do you get it to display in specific gravity? I can only find three options mS, PSU and kg/L.
Kg/L is specific gravity I believe

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the ghl offer a screen similar to apex that will show you all the readings at a quick glance? Will it show it in a graph form like the apex for say ph and temp and kh if you have the director? I’ve been going back and forth between apex and ghl for a couple months, read Dittos conversion to ghl and look forward to yours. Hesitant because 1) I’ve never used a controller and 2) I am not super good on a computer as in coding, which from what I understand both require to an extent. From what I’ve read ghl seems to make a very good product but the software/interface is a turnoff for some. I do like the look of the ghl though, interested to see how your system turns out, thanks for taking the time to give an honest comparison.
I know it will log the sensors, and I believe it will show graphs, I just haven’t gotten that far yet.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kg/L is specific gravity I believe

From a post Randy made in a thread about S.G. vs Density

FWIW, specific gravity has no units to to, density does.

Density is very temperature dependent, specific gravity not so much.

36 PSU seawater has a sg of about 1.0271, a density of 1.0241 g/mL at 25 deg C, and a conductivity of 54.4 mS/cm.

I'm not sure #1 is exactly internally consistent, but all are pretty close.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a post Randy made in a thread about S.G. vs Density
I mix my saltwater in my mixing station to 1.026 and when I calibrated it and switched it to kg/L I also get 1.026. I try not to over think it. It would make my brain hurt, LOL!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get all the communication finished today. I can now see the GHL on my phone when I am away from my house. The videos pretty much say it all, you just have to pay attention to detail. ;Facepalm :):D

Its really no harder that the Apex, it is just different. Once you get used to it, its just as easy.

I also started to hook up the KH Director. I am not sure how much further I will go until my new cabinet shows up as I will just have to recalibrate it all over again.

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get all the communication finished today. I can now see the GHL on my phone when I am away from my house. The videos pretty much say it all, you just have to pay attention to detail. ;Facepalm :):D

Its really no harder that the Apex, it is just different. Once you get used to it, its just as easy.

I also started to hook up the KH Director. I am not sure how much further I will go until my new cabinet shows up as I will just have to recalibrate it all over again.

So what would I see if I had a profilux and opened the app to see what was going on with my tank or wanted to see what my ph did for the day?

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what would I see if I had a profilux and opened the app to see what was going on with my tank or wanted to see what my ph did for the day?
I am still learning the system. Thus setting it up.

Screenshot_20210621-193112_GHL Connect.jpg

Back