Apex EL & AI Hydra 32HD

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi there!
New to Apex & I really got it for eventual use with a Trident BUT I plugged my 2 AI Hydra 32HDs into it and now I'm confused. I know they're not totally compatible but in the interest of actually being able to use the plugs in the Apex instead of needing another power strip, I have some questions...
I just set up my Apex EL yesterday and I plugged my lights into plugs #1 & 2. It seems that because I've plugged my lights into the Apex, now the timing of the lighting schedule has been changed to the preset schedule on the Apex.
Has anyone found a way around this? Or should I just unplug my lights from the Apex all together?
Right now, I have both of the outputs (plugs) set to On instead of Auto to see if that changes anything today. I don't know if that's just going to keep them from turning off at all though.
Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you try re-programming the apex?
Do you have any info on how I would do this? I'm usually pretty tech savvy but this platform is eluding me a bit... its only been one day though.
I tried changing the on/off times associated with those two outputs but since its only been one day, I guess I'll have to wait to see if that was the way to change my issue. Also, I have looked around for info but most of what I can find is related to Iota and the 26HDs.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have any info on how I would do this? I'm usually pretty tech savvy but this platform is eluding me a bit... its only been one day though.
I tried changing the on/off times associated with those two outputs but since its only been one day, I guess I'll have to wait to see if that was the way to change my issue. Also, I have looked around for info but most of what I can find is related to Iota and the 26HDs.
Yes - actually - when I had the hydras - it takes a full cycle until you see the 'results'

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brit’s Fish that is true, most of the docs are on IOTA and is actually really neat. I have an old HD 16 I picked up for this purpose on my MAX Nano. I would recommend unless you have a purpose with temp control, one can probably avoid use of the Apex outlets with your lights and stick to the AI app. If you have some other items that could leverage the on/off control such as their own COR(?) wave units that work with 1Link, it might be worth it but the only reason I use mine is to shut off lights if temp gets too hot. The other functions are done in the app.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brit’s Fish that is true, most of the docs are on IOTA and is actually really neat. I have an old HD 16 I picked up for this purpose on my MAX Nano. I would recommend unless you have a purpose with temp control, one can probably avoid use of the Apex outlets with your lights and stick to the AI app. If you have some other items that could leverage the on/off control such as their own COR(?) wave units that work with 1Link, it might be worth it but the only reason I use mine is to shut off lights if temp gets too hot. The other functions are done in the app.
Same thing here. I have 3x hydra 32 on my apex and use 6,7,8 for the plugs on one of my power bars.

I have the outlets setup as lights and just use 00:00 and 00:00 for the times. This makes the outlets a constant on. Then see the screen shot below for the rest. From there, set it to “auto” on the main page and done.

03AEDC9A-6439-4FD8-95F3-44B6817D9054.png

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is what I suspected! I have my MaxSpect return pump and MaxSpect skimmer plugged in, so at least I can control their feed modes with the Apex. The Apex will be handy once I add my Trident and Dos but for now I'm relying on it to be able to monitor the temperature and any power outages when I'm out of town. I go up to northern WI fairly frequently on summer weekend & while I have someone who feeds the fish for me, it's nice to know if there are any issues when no-one is around.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Same thing here. I have 3x hydra 32 on my apex and use 6,7,8 for the plugs on one of my power bars.

I have the outlets setup as lights and just use 00:00 and 00:00 for the times. This makes the outlets a constant on. Then see the screen shot below for the rest. From there, set it to “auto” on the main page and done.

03AEDC9A-6439-4FD8-95F3-44B6817D9054.png
Thank you! This is what I was hoping to see - so now my AI schedule should override anything the Apex is doing, short of losing power, right?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! This is what I was hoping to see - so now my AI schedule should override anything the Apex is doing, short of losing power, right?
Correct. My lights run as they should via the app, I can see power consumption on the apex, have them shut off it tank gets hot, and turn them off real quick if I need to take down to clean.

The power consumption part is nice, as I can look at the graph and see when they need to a good cleaning. When dirty, the fan runs more, so uses more power. Not really needed, but I forget things sometimes lol.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Correct. My lights run as they should via the app, I can see power consumption on the apex, have them shut off it tank gets hot, and turn them off real quick if I need to take down to clean.

The power consumption part is nice, as I can look at the graph and see when they need to a good cleaning. When dirty, the fan runs more, so uses more power. Not really needed, but I forget things sometimes lol.
That's really good to know. Thank you!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi there!
New to Apex & I really got it for eventual use with a Trident BUT I plugged my 2 AI Hydra 32HDs into it and now I'm confused. I know they're not totally compatible but in the interest of actually being able to use the plugs in the Apex instead of needing another power strip, I have some questions...
I just set up my Apex EL yesterday and I plugged my lights into plugs #1 & 2. It seems that because I've plugged my lights into the Apex, now the timing of the lighting schedule has been changed to the preset schedule on the Apex.
Has anyone found a way around this? Or should I just unplug my lights from the Apex all together?
Right now, I have both of the outputs (plugs) set to On instead of Auto to see if that changes anything today. I don't know if that's just going to keep them from turning off at all though.
Thanks in advance!
Assure your system clock is on the right time and in fusion go to your Eb832 and assure your selected times are/were saved for on and off. I have orpheks and Noopschye plugged into eb832 and are timed precisely

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Set them to

Fallback ON
Set ON

You don't need to use two outlets. You can use a splitter and run both off one outlet. Personally I wouldn't even bother putting these in an EB outlet at all
I will keep that in mind as I fill the plugs up. I had been wondering about using a splitter earlier today, so that's good to know! Right now, it's kind of a weird feeling to have extra outlets available... I'm sure it won't take me long to find things I "need" that require use of all the outlets. My tank already came with a power strip in the cabinet that is full too.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Assure your system clock is on the right time and in fusion go to your Eb832 and assure your selected times are/were saved for on and off. I have orpheks and Noopschye plugged into eb832 and are timed precisely
Ah yes! I did also realize that something screwy was going on with the clock and I didn't realize the Cloud upload button was the save button until wondering why nothing I did was saving. Silly me. I'm sure that's one of those things that other people think is obvious but after spending the entire day on cable management and other tank related chores, I was too tired to think clearly yesterday.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah yes! I did also realize that something screwy was going on with the clock and I didn't realize the Cloud upload button was the save button until wondering why nothing I did was saving. Silly me. I'm sure that's one of those things that other people think is obvious but after spending the entire day on cable management and other tank related chores, I was too tired to think clearly yesterday.
On a side note, I think my cable management turned out pretty well! I put it off for way too long and I even bought the Apex like 8 months ago and finally got it connected and mounted.

Before:
5865B3C6-7266-4F48-832E-36315C3EC9EA.jpeg

After:
8E2A317D-4149-40A7-8EBF-0851601CB7E4.jpeg

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note, I think my cable management turned out pretty well! I put it off for way too long and I even bought the Apex like 8 months ago and finally got it connected and mounted.

Before:
5865B3C6-7266-4F48-832E-36315C3EC9EA.jpeg

After:
8E2A317D-4149-40A7-8EBF-0851601CB7E4.jpeg
Yes, @Brit’s Fish looks like it did turn out nicely. Well done!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back