Apex Failing

StevePhx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So hoping someone here can give me some pointers.

On Monday my head unit stopped connecting. All my modules and EB832S were flashing orange.

Had a call the following day with support where they spent 5 minutes and said head unit is bad. Paid for a new unit and had it overnighted.

It arrived Thursday night. I started to set it up by connecting the new unit to just two EB832S. I was able to set it up and started to plug in a few modules.

After I added my WXM everything started flashing again and the head unit lost power. It smelled like it was burning so I disconnected everything and contacted support. Even after a call and a few emails I never heard back from support today. They finally email me at 6pm saying they couldn’t help until Monday but of course I’m at work.

I now have my old head unit, an EL that I kept as a backup and the new head unit that smells like it’s burning.

I don’t want to pay for another head unit but have no idea how to figure out which module is causing these issues. All three head units will power on but won’t connect to any of my EB832S even an extra that was never connected to this system.

I’ve tried using new aquabus cables to stand alone brand new modules and still get the error. It seems like a bad module is frying the internals of my head units.

Do I just need to disconnect everything and send all 12 modules, x2 Dos, Trident, x3 Wavs, x4 EB832S and a bunch of other stuff back to Neptune and have them determine the issue? Them sending another head unit won’t solve anything if I can’t figure out the bad module and to test for a bad module I have to plug it back into the head unit which will fry another one.

The Wav were in fallback off so lacking flow. (How do they not have Wavs fall back to 25% is beyond me). My ATO is an ATK and a Trident was controlling my dosing. I’m back to old school reefing with Hanna and manual ATO which isn’t sustainable for me on a 350g SPS tank and a busy work schedule.

I’ve been a diehard Neptune fan. Met Terrance and Paul at Rap and Macna several times but feel left out in the dark with the lack of support on this issue.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first reaction is that there may be a corroded AquaBus port on one or more of the modules. Carefully inspect every single AquaBus port and cable ends, even unused ports. Any rust or corrosion can disrupt the communications across the entire AquaBus chain, causing wide-spread havoc on the Apex and all connected modules.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have quite a few modules connected to the head unit. Any one of them can short out the head unit. Apex carries 12v over AquaBus, which is enough to burn electronic components in case of a short. There is, in fact, very little protection against any shorts on the aquabus line as the data goes straight into the CAN transceiver and the power is a straight pass through from EB832 to the head unit to other modules. I have seen shorted aquabus blowing internal diodes and filters on Apex head units. But I've also seen shorted data lines blowing up the transceivers. If your head unit and modules actually power up (LEDs on) but don't communicate, and you smell burned electronics, chances are great that something is frying the transceiver. And if that's the case, then the offending module can be fixed to remove the short and the head unit can also be fixed by replacing the transceiver or whatever else is fried.

If Neptune is no help, feel free to PM me. I might be able to help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
StevePhx

StevePhx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the reply’s. I’m hoping to just send all three head units back to Neptune and have the repair and send two back to me.

I’ll pull all my modules and aquabus lines out and add back piece by piece. I think I know the aquabus line that is causing the issue. It’s a line that goes from the front eb832 to the back eb832 and I noticed so corrosion on one end. Everything else looks really clean.

I haven’t messed with any 1-link likes yet. They are such a pain to get out and 6 plugged in between the 3 eb832s right now along with 4 24v being used.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back