Apex Flow Meter worth it for UV?

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am plumbing my new tank and will be using a pentair UV 20 watt plumbed into my return line using a varios DC pump. I own an apex and an FMM for the ATK. Is it worth purchasing a flow meter to monitor the flow through my return? I have read some bad reviews about the performance and longevity of these. Is there a better alternative?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's worth it to know the flow at various settings for your pump. I have an Apex but have put off investing in the flow meters due to poor performance reviews.

I do the 'fill a container in a specified time and do math' method. If I got a flow meter I'd have to do same thing to trust it.

Like a lot of things with controllers, it can help and let you know changes, but whether it's accurate, or the changes are due to degradation of test equipment or actual changing parameters I always end up doing more tests to confirm.

Then again, I haven't checked actual pump output at nozzle in 14 months since installed UV (have my new bulb right here).

Yeah, I know not very helpful. I think if you're going to be concerned about monitoring changing flow (even though might not be accurate or due to actual flow) then it's worth it. But if the quirky nature of the flow meters causes you lots of excess testing, then it's not. I'm in the latter camp but I do know my max and min dc pump output at the display tank nozzles.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how badly you want to know your flow rate to be at any given moment. Theres always the cheap water change + bucket + timer + math method for a decently accurate measure, just remember to not have the uv on at the time of experimenting.

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on what you are trying to get out of it ...

If you want a precise measurement of the exact flow rate through your plumbing, NO ... the meters (in my experience) are only good for +/- 10% ... and even then, only if they've been properly installed (at least 10x pipe diameter downstream from any fittings or other devices).

If it is accuracy you want, there is no substitute for the good-ole bucket test.

However, if you want a "relative" indication of the current system to monitor for "upset conditions" (blocked intake, accidentally hit a valve handle, mechanical failure, etc.) then YES - they are great tool for this.

I use them on my system for this purpose ... I take the readings they give with a grain of salt, but look more closely how the readings have trended over time as a means to detecting if anything has changed and of the flow rate through the UV is still approximately "in the range" stated by the manufacturer.

Neptune provides a very good set of instructions on how to properly install and use these meters ... the problem is most people don't read them all the way through ... but if you follow them completely, these meters will be very reliable for many years without maintenance. Just don't interpret the numbers they give as gospel.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back