Apex Fusion for Alexa

ALCfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of today, the official Apex Fusion skill for Alexa has been released. To enable voice commands, search for the skill in the store or follow this link:
https://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html#skills/dp/B07J1F2V8W/?ref=skill_dsk_skb_sr_0&qid=1538782940

A new voice configuration page has been added to Apex Fusion (look for the microphone icon) that allows you to set up your customized status report and give outlets and inputs Alexa-friendly names.

Check out the FAQs for more detailed setup instructions:
https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?24464-Amazon-Alexa-Integration-with-APEX-Fusion-FAQ

I have set up some simple commands but will there be the option to set up multiple actions in a single command IE turn off all pumps and feed

Thanks

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Clean" isn't a keyword for this skill. The keywords are variations of start, stop, restart, turn on, turn off, switch on, switch off, switch to auto. If you create an alias for your VO or feed mode and call it "cleaning the sand", you can say "Alexa, ask Apex Fusion to start cleaning the sand".

Some good alias examples I've seen so far have been "photo mode", "maintenance mode", and "a water change". These users can say things like "Alexa, ask Apex Fusion to turn on photo mode" or "Alexa, ask Apex Fusion to start a water change" for example.
how's that sense of humor coming along??

geez dude, get out some!!

OP
OP
Joe Carioti

Joe Carioti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how's that sense of humor coming along??

geez dude, get out some!!

Sorry, I'm here to make sure new users get set up without headache and to answer questions pertaining to how to use the skill itself. Creating an alias/VO to clean your sandbed is absolutely within the realm possibility here, so I assumed you were asking for help.

OP
OP
Joe Carioti

Joe Carioti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have set up some simple commands but will there be the option to set up multiple actions in a single command IE turn off all pumps and feed

Thanks

You can already achieve this by leveraging a feed mode or by creating a virtual outlet:

Skimmer
  • If FeedA 000 then OFF
Return Pump
  • If FeedA 000 then OFF
Wavemakers
  • If FeedA 000 then OFF
By adding that programming to those three items, the outlets will shut off when you start Feed Cycle A. Once the feed cycle finishes, those outlets will turn back on. "Alexa, ask Apex Fusion to start feed mode A" will launch the feed mode, resulting in those three outlets shutting off for ~5 minutes.

If you take it a step further, you can alias Feed Cycle A as "feed my fish" or something like that. Then you can say "Alexa, ask Apex Fusion to feed my fish" to start the process.

ReeferDave71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help Joe. How would I create an alias to shut off two Vortech pumps? It looks like only one item can be selected. Also, would a simple Echo Dot be a good interface for these voice commands?

ReeferDave71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help Joe. How would I create an alias to shut off two Vortech pumps? It looks like only one item can be selected. Also, would a simple Echo Dot be a good interface for these voice commands?

ReeferDave71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReeferDave71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReeferDave71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Joe Carioti

Joe Carioti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help Joe. How would I create an alias to shut off two Vortech pumps? It looks like only one item can be selected.

Create one new, always-on, virtual outlet and name it something like "Wavemakers". In your two Vortech pumps' programming, add the following line:

If Outlet Wavemakers = OFF then OFF

Now when you turn off the Wavemakers virtual outlet, both Vortech pumps will stop until you turn the Wavemakers outlet back to AUTO or ON. Create an alias for the Wavemakers outlet instead of the two Vortech outlets to have a master shutoff without having to issue two separate commands.

Also, would a simple Echo Dot be a good interface for these voice commands?

I personally use an Echo Dot and I find it to be adequate unless the room is a bit noisy. I believe the Echo Plus and the Echo Show had the best noise-isolation out of the group of devices we've tested with.

Last edited:

Spike2484

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I ask Alexa for anything she says “please link your account in the Alexa app”. However, I’ve enabled the Apex Fusion skill on my Alexa app and logged in accordingly. What am I missing?

Spike2484

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I ask Alexa for anything she says “please link your account in the Alexa app”. However, I’ve enabled the Apex Fusion skill on my Alexa app and logged in accordingly. What am I missing?

OP
OP
Joe Carioti

Joe Carioti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm looking into this now. Try unlinking your account and re-linking again to see if that changes anything.

Spike2484

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done that with no luck.

Occasionally I can get Alexa to say “You have Apex Fusion enabled, would you like to open it”. If I say yes she says “welcome to apex fusion.....would you like to hear more”. If I say yes she says “sorry I’m having trouble accessing your apex right now”. If I say no, I get the same response as before.

I’m attaching a picture showing that I’m linked for what it’s worth.

22200B7F-A36E-4718-A9C1-B1F91737FBE6.png

drino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done that with no luck.

Occasionally I can get Alexa to say “You have Apex Fusion enabled, would you like to open it”. If I say yes she says “welcome to apex fusion.....would you like to hear more”. If I say yes she says “sorry I’m having trouble accessing your apex right now”. If I say no, I get the same response as before.

I’m attaching a picture showing that I’m linked for what it’s worth.

22200B7F-A36E-4718-A9C1-B1F91737FBE6.png
I just configured my Alexa to give me status reports, start a feed cycle and turn skimmer and return pumps on/off. There are 2 steps - enable the skill in the Alexa app (looks like you did that). Then in your Apex dashboard, go to the Voice option. Here’s where you set up what Alexa can turn on/off or report status on. I’m a newbie on this, still fighting alarms on my ATK. ;-) But the Alexa integration is pretty cool.

2AFF3C4A-E6AD-49B9-8A69-A78A5A754F70.png

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alexa "open apex fusion" and getting my status report, lights on and off, etc is quite the breakfast conversation... Love it...

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I control 2 different Apex? How do I select which one is getting the command? I put commands in my Fowler tank, but it only seems to recognize the reef tank commands.

Also, what do you guys say to initiate a command. It is kind of lengthy to have to listen to the tutorial every time. I say "Open Apex Fusion." Then I have to wait while Alexa tells me the basic commands, Is there any way around listening to the basic commands?

anthamm93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering to purchase a apex classic will Alexa work with that model through the fusion site?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back