Apex, MP40 and battery backups...

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok hopefully I can explain what In trying to do. i have 16ah of 12v backup battery and I'm considering switching out the nero 5's to mp40's. What I want to do is in a power loss situation the apex controller goes to the 12vac backup power and at least one of two mp40's will continue to run at low power (off of battery). I know I can put the mp40 on backup power as a stand alone, but I don't know the mp40's backup voltage (I'm reading its 12vdc). Also with the apex (classic) if you supply 12v power through the adapter port, will it still pull power from the aquabus or does it go to the 12v adapter power (battery)

Equipment in my possession:
Apex Classic
2x Mp40's
WXM (not setup)
2x 8ah 12vdc batteries (was previously setup in series for a 24v backup)

Basically I want a hand off small scale batt switch so the tank can limp along with a single powerhead for 24 hours without human intervention. Also considering a ecotech return pump if the backup is 12v also. Ill just uprate the batteries as needed.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set power monitoring to OFF in the misc setup page of the classic dashboard.

Rename and edit a profile (I call mine Slow below) and set it to either constant 1% or pulse 1%. You will get between 50%-80% longer duration out of pulse 1% compared to constant. The longer the pulse length, the more time you will get since that minimizes startup loss.

In your program for the MP40, add this (replace EB8name with the actual name of your energy bar)

If Power EB8name OFF 001 Then Slow

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back