Apex of Profilux

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

I am in the final stages of trying to determine if I need a controller, and which one to get. My original plan was to run my automatic saltwater change system off a Litermeter3 pump. My lights and heaters are on controllers already and so I thought I may just get by without a controller. But then I was thinking about it - I would love to be able to turn off my AWC and ATO pumps if the water level in the sump rises above safe levels. I could certainly use the controller to check salinity, PH, and control my lights and heaters, maybe my MPs etc.

So in my planning I narrowed it down to three options:

Apex Jr. & DOS pump for AWC - I am not familiar with the Jr. and is it capable of using a level sensor to shut down a few pumps?

Full Apex & DOS pump - I would consider this if the probe monitoring is worthwhile. I friend recently told me he finds the probes not so useful. He has a lot of trouble calibrating the salinity probe which is the main one I'd want to monitor the AWC system.

Profilux 4 - heard good things.

Anyone who can weigh in I'd love to hear from you. Please feel free to talk about controllers, pumps, and other pros and cons of each of the solutions above.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bada bump

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need to use a break out box for what you want to do. If I'm not mistaken the Jr does not support the breakout box. The next level Apex does support a break out box. I have the Jr and I really like it. I think the next level Apex is a little over $500.00.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for getting back to me. You may be right about the breakout box. I sent an inquiry in to the Neptune folks but they haven't gotten back to me yet. What are all the things you are controlling with the Jr.?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Profilux will do what you need.
Right out of the box it can support 4 level sensors and an additional card can be added if you need more.
It has AWC programming built in and uses two level sensors to run both the ATO and AWC.
Or you can use GHL Doser 2.1 to do your AWC but I think the max speed is around 45 ml/min. But you can run it up to 150 times per day if I remember correctly.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe on the full Apex (either the "Classic" or the new "2016") you get more command line control and can use the Advanced option on the pumps to read certain level sensors. I saw that Neptune now has optical sensors to hook up to the FMK and I am sure there is a way to add a line of code that says "If (name and parameter of whatever sensor is low) Then OFF"

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Profilux will do what you need.
Right out of the box it can support 4 level sensors and an additional card can be added if you need more.
It has AWC programming built in and uses two level sensors to run both the ATO and AWC.
Or you can use GHL Doser 2.1 to do your AWC but I think the max speed is around 45 ml/min. But you can run it up to 150 times per day if I remember correctly.

Dennis thanks for responding. A sales rep from GHL contacted me yesterday and gave me some additional details. For the AWC I'd still need to buy the Doser 2.1 in any case is that correct? My goal is to change around 1.5 - 2 gallons a day. Also, what has your experience been using the Profilux probes? I ask since a friend of mine had some issues with his Apex probes being somewhat of a frustration. Basically are the probes worth it?

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe on the full Apex (either the "Classic" or the new "2016") you get more command line control and can use the Advanced option on the pumps to read certain level sensors. I saw that Neptune now has optical sensors to hook up to the FMK and I am sure there is a way to add a line of code that says "If (name and parameter of whatever sensor is low) Then OFF"

Interesting. Thanks for chiming in.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Doser 2.1.
The GHL probes are top notch.
I'm still using my original conductivity probe from 5 years ago. The ph probe I have replaced. Orp has been going strong for several years. Temp is still the original too.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Doser 2.1.
The GHL probes are top notch.
I'm still using my original conductivity probe from 5 years ago. The ph probe I have replaced. Orp has been going strong for several years. Temp is still the original too.

Awesome. Last question for you - if using the GHL 2.1 Doser to do the AWC does the unit need regular maintenance or any sort of calibration?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Last question for you - if using the GHL 2.1 Doser to do the AWC does the unit need regular maintenance or any sort of calibration?
Shouldn't need much maintenance. Guess that would depend how much it's used.
You'd probably want to calibrate it every few months or so just to make sure nothing has changed. It takes just a minute to calibrate each pump.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm controlling the basic stuff right now. Heaters, Skimmer, Lights, Return pump. I went with the Jr, because I didn't need the breakout box option. I have a doser that I can run off of an outlet on Apex. I will just set it up to turn the power off if the Ph gets to high, I will also set it up to notify me of this event as well. I really like my Apex. I tried the Cebera Vertex. I must say I like Apex better. That's just my opinion.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going through the same dilemma as you are.. On my new setup the only 2 things that I fear is electric failure and heat failure.
I am not too concerned about salinity and PH as I will not have a calcium reactor, have a moderate size ATO reservoir, and fresh air near by.

For electric - ecotech battery backup to power 1 mp40
For heat - 2 x 150watt heaters instead of one. Seneye (alerts)
Reeflink - I got all ecotech products so I can control them via reeflink. I can cut power to the radions and return pump if needed.

I got the seneye par meter only for PAR Meter but since i have it can monitor, temperature, sump water level, salinity and PH - hooking it up to a tablet to send me alerts if something goes off. Also, I will have a nest camera so i can see the tank from anywhere. After all this redundancy I find it very difficult for me to drop $800 on a apex system at this time - What can they offer me that I can't control already? Sure I'd like a full scale controller, but which one? Proflux or apex? Ultimately, ive decided it depends on who comes out with the best CA and KH monitor. Until then I feel I have my system setup in a way that I can sleep well at night.

Last edited:

slipknotgrrl83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need to use a break out box for what you want to do. If I'm not mistaken the Jr does not support the breakout box. The next level Apex does support a break out box. I have the Jr and I really like it. I think the next level Apex is a little over $500.00.
The jr itself does not but I have a pm1 connected to it with breakout box connected to that. If I could go back, I would of invested in full apex :)

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going through the same dilemma as you are.. On my new setup the only 2 things that I fear is electric failure and heat failure.
I am not too concerned about salinity and PH as I will not have a calcium reactor, have a moderate size ATO reservoir, and fresh air near by.

For electric - ecotech battery backup to power 1 mp40
For heat - 2 x 150watt heaters instead of one. Seneye (alerts)
Reeflink - I got all ecotech products so I can control them via reeflink. worst case I can cut power to the radions if needed.

I got the seneye par meter only for PAR Meter but since i have it can monitor, temperature, sump water level, salinity and PH - hooking it up to a tablet to send me alerts if something goes off. In addition It can monitor my ammonia during cycle. Also, will have a nest camera so i can monitor it from anywhere. After all this redundancy I find it very difficult for me to drop $800 on a apex system at this time - What can they offer me that I can't control already? Sure I'd like a full scale controller but like you I am stuck on if I should go with Proflux or apex mainly because I want to see who comes out with the best CA and KH monitor. Until then I feel I have my system setup in a way that I can sleep well at night.

For me the main thing i want to guard against is either my ATO or AWC systems failing and pumping water into my sump and onto my floors. And I like the idea of being able to turn my lights off if the tank gets too hot. I'm going to be running a metal halide. I know that if I go the Apex Jr path, or simply run the Litermeter 3 (with high water shut off) I can get by spending less but then at some point I could see wanted the full controller. I hate the idea of buying things that I have to sell later when I upgrade.

I'm now running some numbers to see what the most cost effective way to get my basic requirements set up. If I wasn't buying all my other equipment for a new tank I would just pull the trigger on the Profilux but its starting to all add up to a significant budget.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to get a controller for my tank. My wife and I have two vacations planned for this summer. I also have a week long class out of town in August. So I like the idea of being connected to my tank while I'm gone. I'm sure you will enjoy having a controller on your system.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 1.5 to 2 gallon change you are best to use level sensors and pumps.
I use a stenner pump dual head to change 1 gallon a day. I have my profilux turn on outlet 7 for 3 minutes every hour from 3pm to 10pm at the top of the hour. This is 2 cups at a time. Could do a lot more but want to change it slowly

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 1.5 to 2 gallon change you are best to use level sensors and pumps.
I use a stenner pump dual head to change 1 gallon a day. I have my profilux turn on outlet 7 for 3 minutes every hour from 3pm to 10pm at the top of the hour. This is 2 cups at a time. Could do a lot more but want to change it slowly

Are you suggesting a stenner pump v. the GSL dosers? I kind of like the idea of getting a 4 pump doser and using 2 for AWC and 2 for dosing alk and calcium.

Back