Apex PM1 Issue

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I purchased a new PM1 to measure the PH in my calcium reactor. I also purchased a new PH probe and calibrated it. The new probe is at 7.97 my existing PH probe is 8.15. So I recalibrate my existing probe and it still displayed 8.15. I then tested my water manually with two different test kits and they both showed the PH to be 8.15. So I recalibrated the new probe and it still shows the PH at 7.97. So my next step was to put both probes in the 7&10 calibration solution and they both displayed accurate readings of 7&10. Next I removed the PM1 completely from my configuration and installed it again and recalibrated the new PH probe again. It still reads 7.97? Again my other probe still reads 8.15 and I verified this reading with a salifert and Hannah test kit again. Both probes are within 3 inches of each other in my tank - I even switched their positions and got the same readings. I did have an old PH probe laying around and i calibrated it and it showed the same reading as the new probe. I also switched the probes around from the APEXel and the PM1 and the readings inverted so it’s got to be the PM1?

Any idea why the new probe is not reading properly - could the PM1 module be bad? Any other ideas?

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@blstravler I am having this same issue - my PM1 moduel ph is reading roughly 0.1-0.3 lower pH versus my apex main unit. I've recalibrated both probes multiple times. Even more weird is that when I switch my two probes between PM1 and main unit, the pH changes, so it strikes me it is the PM1/main unit hardware issue and not the probes themselves.

OP
OP
blstravler

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@blstravler I am having this same issue - my PM1 moduel ph is reading roughly 0.1-0.3 lower pH versus my apex main unit. I've recalibrated both probes multiple times. Even more weird is that when I switch my two probes between PM1 and main unit, the pH changes, so it strikes me it is the PM1/main unit hardware issue and not the probes themselves.
I think I remember reaching out to Neptune support and they helped me get it calibrated. I would try them they were very helpful. I think they helped my do some kind of reset on my PM1.

plreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue now with PM1.... just today I figured it out ...

At first, I purchased brand new Neptune PH probe and PM1 for my Calcium reactor, calibrated it then placed in the sum next to my 6 month old display tank probe ...I got two reading......0.7 apart.
recalibrated three more times... same result, then recalibrated both probes......and nothing changed.
I kept both in the sum to see if it will change in reading pH.
I put calcium reactor together, and placed new probe in the calcium reactor..... ran it for a week to tune the calcium reactor to get Alk level I wanted. Display tank probe read 8.3 and calcium reactor read 6.0....
I was worried about the pH level in calcium chamber get too low, then all the media will melt down....
I purchased another new Neptune pH Probe and Hanna pH tester to see if there are some wrong with Neptune PH probes...

After calibrated Hanna pH tester, reading is the same as display tank, I removed Calcium pH probe and test the pH level with Hanna pH tester....it was 0.7 higher than Neptune probe in the reactor...I though, shoots... I got another bad pH probe again... I then though it can't be right, I switched the connection of neptune pH probes between PM1 and main control unit.... I got same reading.... the reading on the display tank stayed the same with new probe and the calcium reactor probe reading also didn't change. By this moment, I figured out PM1 is bad unit.....the funny thing is after spent lot of money and put my trust in neptune system..... I never though this would happened.

Now I keep the new probe in the calcium reactor and what ever reading is I need to add 0.7 to it. so the reading now 6.0 , I know it would be 6.7

Long story short... I now losing my trust in Neptune system....

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back