Apex - Power outage, defer question

cmozz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer fills up with water if the power goes off for an extended time when the sump fills up. What is the best way to delay the skimmer coming on?

Is this correct? I did change Fallback OFF from Fallback ON just now
Fallback OFF
If Output Eco_Main = OFF Then OFF
If OUT_PH > 8.35 Then OFF
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
If FeedB 000 Then OFF
If FeedC 000 Then OFF
Defer 005:00 Then ON

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Defer is probably a good idea; I have mine set to 002:00 as it only seems to take about a minute for the sump to normalize.
Defer does not apply after a power failure. It only works when the Apex is online and has turned off the skimmer under normal circumstances, then when it tries to turn it back on the Defer countdown begins. But power failures (or an Apex reboot) is a different scenario.

Instead, use the "If Power Apex Off" command with the number of minutes like you would with Defer:

Fallback OFF
If Output Eco_Main = OFF Then OFF
If OUT_PH > 8.35 Then OFF
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
If FeedB 000 Then OFF
If FeedC 000 Then OFF
If Power Apex Off 005 Then OFF
Defer 005:00 Then ON

In order for this to work properly, you also need to ensure your "Power Monitor" setting on the Apex Misc Setup screen is set correctly. I explained this here:

For even more details on the Power Monitor feature when using an alternate power source (such as UPS backup battery or a generator) during a power outage, see my tutorial on Apex Power Monitoring:

OP
OP
cmozz

cmozz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to confirm - if I have no battery backup on the Apex, then the Power Monitoring should be set to Disabled?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to confirm - if I have no battery backup on the Apex, then the Power Monitoring should be set to Disabled?
Correct. To be more precise, it should be set to Disabled if you don't have the 12v Aux power adapter, which is typically used in conjunction with a backup battery.

Last edited:

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. To be more precise, it should be set to Disabled if you don't have the 24v Aux power adapter, which is typically used in conjunction with a backup battery.
@SuncrestReef isn’t the aux power adapter 12V DC and not 24V DC.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back