Apex problem

foxhuntr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got my new apex today and to my computer and it worked for about 20 minutes and lost contact with the computer.....now it says apex is not set up to set up to conunicate on this port "worldwide web"....now i cant get into my display module it keeps asking me for a password....WHAT PASSWORD ?????? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
foxhuntr

foxhuntr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
found it ....it is XYZ.....now is there a way to turn off the backlight on the display ????? i mounted it where i wanted it but the back light is to bright in the dark and distracting......is there a setting somewhere to dim it or turn it off ?????

OP
OP
foxhuntr

foxhuntr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have no idea.....i think its an over ride or something........i could'nt get into my display module until i put that password in......my son actually found it on google....admin and 1234 is only to get into the program on the computer......does anybody know if you can dim the backlight or turn it off on the display module ???

dallas reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. You can dim the display. ON the display.

Center button-->
System -->
Display settings-->
Day brightness-->

OP
OP
foxhuntr

foxhuntr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah....i have my lights running on the seasonal program and its running my calcium reactor and all my heaters.......i just have to wait for my led fixtures to come in .....one question tho.......it says it can control 4 led fixtures but it only has 2 dimmer ports on module.....i am getting 3 led fixtures....how am i gonna hook 3 up with only 2 ports ????? each port has 2 numbers on it but with only one cat5 plug

dallas reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know LEDs or the variable ports. But my "guess" would be to wire the whites together on ONE port. And the blues on the other.

I'm probably TOTALLY wrong. So wait to hear it from the 'seasoned' apex nuts on here.

Seems logical tho.

So I haven't yet understood the seasonal program. Could you share the program?

OP
OP
foxhuntr

foxhuntr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i run 4 diiferant lights at 4 differant times....i have 2 sets of actinics and a single MH and a daul MH......the one set of actinics comes on first...then 1 hour delay later the second set of actinics comes on....then 2 hours delay the single MH comes on.....then 1 hour delay the daul MH comes on......then when the sun sets the daul MH goes off...then 1 hour delay the single MH goes off....then 2 hour delay the second set of actinics goes off...the 1 hour delay the first set of actinics goes off.......i run them one 4 seperate outlets on my EB8.....so my tank goes from blue to white with the sun rise and the from white to blue with the sunset.......the profile for the seasonal program is
If Sun 000/000 Then ON
my program is
outlet #1 actinic----If Sun 000/150 Then ON ( the 150 is so all my lights are off by 9pm)
outlet #2 actinic----If Sun 060/120 Then ON
outlet #3 single MH---- If Sun 120/060 Then ON
outlet #4 daul MH---- If Sun 180/000 Then ON
Fallback for all outlets are OFF

Last edited:
OP
OP
foxhuntr

foxhuntr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Sun 000/000 Then ON
the (Sun) tells the controller to run the seasonal program and the first set of 000/ is the sunrise and the second set of /000 is the sunset...both in minutes...and 060 in the second set means 1 hour delay.....-060 means hasting ...means 1 hour before

Last edited:

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way that the variable outlets work is there are two outlets on each port. What kind of LED fixtures did you order? It is likely that you will have to make a custom pin-out plug to wire your LEDs correctly unless there is one available for purchase from the LED manufacturer. Mine are DIY and I made custom CAT5 plugs on my canopy instead of modifying the cable.

Using a standard CAT5 cable, pins 1 and 2 (one is ground, the other is 0-10v control signal. Verify which is which in the manual linked below.) are for Channel 1 while pins 5 and 6 are for Channel 2. Same thing on the other plug for Channel 3 and Channel 4, respectively. This means that for an 8-wire CAT5 cable, only 4 of them are used for anything.

You can see the details of the pinout in this Apex manual here:

AquaController Apex - Reef Tank Automation

OP
OP
foxhuntr

foxhuntr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it says for V2 and V4... #1 pin is 0-10vdc and #2 pin is the ground
it says for V1 and V3... #5 pin is 0-10vdc and #6 pin is the ground
now do i split the cable into 2 cat5 plugs on the fixture end ??? can you explain this to me really well ??
my fixtures take the CAT5 plugs....it is a Apollo Reef SolorBlast

Last edited:

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only have 2 fixtures? If so, then all you do is plug the CAT5 from the Apex to the fixture. This will give you 2-channel control on each fixture. If you've got more than two fixtures, you have to custom-make dual headed ends. That is easy enough and I can explain the details if necessary.

OP
OP
foxhuntr

foxhuntr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes i will have 3 fixtures....please explain in detail on what i will need to get and how to do it......i like your idea with the female outlets in your canapy....where did you get the female outlets ???? that way i can just mount 3 of those in my canapy and run regular cat5 cables from them to the fixtures

Last edited:

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back