OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There's a little lock on the top right of the screen. If you click that it shows available ports and such, and allows you to rearrange them on the screen.
Cool! Got it! Thanks! :)

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind...the issue was user error. :oops::oops::oops: I ummm...MAY have had my temp probe plugged into a v1/v2 port instead of the probe port on the brain... :rolleyes::oops:;Blackeye

:confused:;Blackeye;Spam

I should have known.... ;Wacky

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now I've gotta figure out who in my area might carry pH calibration fluid and conductivity calibration fluid. ;Wacky I figure the pH fluid will be an easy find, but the conductivity fluid may be a bit of a pain...

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I've gotta figure out who in my area might carry pH calibration fluid and conductivity calibration fluid. ;Wacky I figure the pH fluid will be an easy find, but the conductivity fluid may be a bit of a pain...
Did it not come with the Apex? Mine came all included.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get calibration fluid off of Amazon. There are makers that package in small plastic bottles (All you need is 7 and 10 for ph and 53,000 us for conductivity) and they are reusable unlike the stuff in the little bags.

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO it's pretty important to keep your temp probe calibrated. I use the calendar on Apex Fusion to send alerts, and it reminds me to calibrate all of my probes every quarter. I have so many things hooked up to my temp probe... it needs to be accurate! :)

MasterAlgaeGrower

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO it's pretty important to keep your temp probe calibrated. I use the calendar on Apex Fusion to send alerts, and it reminds me to calibrate all of my probes every quarter. I have so many things hooked up to my temp probe... it needs to be accurate! :)
How do you calibrate the temp probe?

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On the ATK, do I need to connect the power supply if I'm connected with an aquabus cable?

RussM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All new (or freshly-initialized) Apexes default to Fahrenheit. A temperature reading of ~20F means that (in order of likelihood):
  1. there is no probe connected to that temperature probe jack
  2. the probe is not plugged in and locked
  3. the probe is damaged or is defective
  4. there is a problem with the Apex or probe module

If you are not going to use a given probe port, do not just hide the tile on the dashboard - the proper way of dealing with an unused probe port is to simply disable it. For an Apex (2016), this can be done by using the Inputs page in APEX LOCAL or APEX Fusion. For Apex Classic models, this is done using the display module menus, or by using the Classic Dashboard (go to Configuration->Probe Input Setup). You can also rename the temp probe ports inn the same place.

Since you have a PM2, I am assuming that you also have a conductivity probe and will be using it. Since you have only one temperature probe, you will want to connect your temp probe to the PM2, and disable the temp probe port. Then enable temperature compensation on the conductivity probe port. Without temp compensation, the salinity/conductivity readings will vary with temperature - temp compensation reduces or eliminates that variance. PM2Salinity/conductivity temperature compensation requires a temp probe to be attached to the PM2. Start with an initial compensation value of 2.2.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All new (or freshly-initialized) Apexes default to Fahrenheit. A temperature reading of ~20F means that (in order of likelihood):
  1. there is no probe connected to that temperature probe jack
  2. the probe is not plugged in and locked
  3. the probe is damaged or is defective
  4. there is a problem with the Apex or probe module

If you are not going to use a given probe port, do not just hide the tile on the dashboard - the proper way of dealing with an unused probe port is to simply disable it. For an Apex (2016), this can be done by using the Inputs page in APEX LOCAL or APEX Fusion. For Apex Classic models, this is done using the display module menus, or by using the Classic Dashboard (go to Configuration->Probe Input Setup). You can also rename the temp probe ports inn the same place.

Since you have a PM2, I am assuming that you also have a conductivity probe and will be using it. Since you have only one temperature probe, you will want to connect your temp probe to the PM2, and disable the temp probe port. Then enable temperature compensation on the conductivity probe port. Without temp compensation, the salinity/conductivity readings will vary with temperature - temp compensation reduces or eliminates that variance. PM2Salinity/conductivity temperature compensation requires a temp probe to be attached to the PM2. Start with an initial compensation value of 2.2.
Thanks for the info. The issue I initially had with the probe reading 20 was user error (I had it plugged into a v1/v2 port instead of the temp port on the brain...I'll watch where I'm plugging stuff in a lot closer from now on. :D). The info on using the temp probe in the pm2 port and also how to rename ports is very helpful! Thanks!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok. Still working on this. Finally got my calibration fluids (I actually got GHL calibration fluids bc my LFS carries those instead of Neptune brand...I was told it doesn't matter which I use).

I'm curious about a few things though:

1) I have moved my temp probe to my PM2 module as instructed above. How do I set the Apex display to show that reading instead of the temp port reading on the brain?
2) Similarly, where do I find "configuration" in the Fusion dashboard? I'm trying to rename my temp probe reading.
3) Is there a benefit to investing in a second temp probe to run from the brain? How would you use an extra temp probe?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 114 77.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back