APEX VDM DIY variable speed cable (ethernet)

reeferdale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys (and gals). I am finally upgrading my controller from a ACIII to an APEX unit. I have a full LED rig on my tank now and I am running 4 drivers with 252 Cree XP LEDs. Obviously one of the main reasons I want to upgrade is to control and ramp my LEDs.

Before I order this I need to know if I need to order the VDM cables or can I just use one of the dozen LAN cables I have laying around my house. I have read threads that state you can use the LAN cable but you MUST BE SURE you do not screw up the connection or it can fry the LEDs or VDM port. Yet none of the threads show or document what the pinouts should be. Obviusly there are four wires in the LAN cables, when the RJ45 end is plugged into the controller, how do you know which wires go the the 10v wires of your driver. Also does it matter which one goes to a specific color on your drivers? Obviously colors can be different so some specific pinout info is required.

For example, my drivers have a blue and a white wire for the 0-10v control. The LAN cable has at least 4 wires, and 8 PINs. Which wires (pinouts) 1 - 8 need to go where? If anyone has done this, or knows of an article or link to some info I would apprciate it. I am going to continue to look this weekend, but I do not want to order the controller and then find out I need to order their cables after I get it. SO at this point I am waiting for some info. I know it is not much, but $30 for a couple Neptune VDM cables, that are worth about $2, seems like a lot to waste.

thanks
Dale
248 420-6213

Last edited:

dunc101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 149 40.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 189 50.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 33 8.9%
Back