Apex vs. ProFilux for a 300 gal reef

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So like it says. Any major pros or cons to either controller? I've been running the Apex on my other tank for almost 2 years. It's been ok. Does what it should. A pain sometimes. I like the remote access though.

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the money for profilux you won't regret it I would do it if I had the money in a heartbeat

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex,

the profilux is quite a bit more expensive and I have not seen anything to it to validate its high cost.

Plus, Neptune having a higher customer base will have them updating their programming more and other fun stuff.

Here's Bills tank info

sig.php

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used the Prolifux controller (or even seen one in use for that matter), but I've got nothing bad to say about my Apex. It has been some of the best money I've ever spent on my tank and has saved my reef numerous times.

kuyatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own both profilix 2 and an apex. If you can buy profilux get the profilux. It is alot easier to program plus it has a slave doser that it can be controlled by the doser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Kbra

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own both profilix 2 and an apex. If you can buy profilux get the profilux. It is alot easier to program plus it has a slave doser that it can be controlled by the doser.

Since you own both. If you had to buy another one which would you choose and why?

Bandomo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I owned a Profilux II and in my honest opinion, I was really disappointed. Not because it was a bad product, but because its WAY overpriced for what it is. I'm currently controller my tank the EXACT same way with my $120 Reefkeeper Lite as I did with the pricey Profilux. Take my word, don't buy into their marketing gimmicks. Save the extra cash and buy some nice corals. Better yet, save the extra cash and donate it to Rev's Toy Drive.

jerwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agee with some of the above statements. I have the APEX and it is some of the best money I could of spent on my tank. I looked at the Proflux. $499 vs ~$1800 to do the same thing. Plus with me adding on more the the standard units and would have to do the same for the Proflux the savings just kept increasing. The proflux is fancy and does have some cool features but (ie lighting but you would have to set up your lights a certain way to get them to work).

Plus the more that are running Apex the better the unit gets and new features we can have. Plus when I have called for help I got help with in 1 minute of making help. With proflux being a european maker how easy will the support be. Even the support on the reef forums can help you out with most issues or even coding.

Save the money and buy a bigger tank or other important equipment. or Donate it to my reef tank build(hint)

kuyatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex is good controller I run it on of my tanks. Reason I say profilux as it is cutting edge.

1. If you run DIY LEDs their led module actually puts put a pwm signal so it is the only controller out there that I know of that is actually made to do storm and cloud mode made for DIY LEDs.

2. Profilux has an actual doser to be used with the controller so you actually use ml increments not second increments to dose

3. Profilux is cutting edge technology they were the first controller to have variable ports for use to control tunzes, dimmable t5 and LEDs

4. Controller is upgradable if you bought a profilux 2 you can send it in to be upgraded to a profilux 3. I owned a ac3 then had to buy an apex to get the latest Neptune system controller.

Both are good controllers but if you can afford it buy profilux. It is like comparing Cadillac to a Mercedes. Both do the function well but one is more technologically advanced

Last edited:

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a profilux 3 and love it but have not owned the other controllers so I don't have anything to compare it to. I did a lot of research before I got it. I think it has to do with what you want your controller to do. if you have the money and want it get it, if not get what you can afford. you need a controller either way. I hope this helps.

Bandomo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with some of the comments stated above, but not all. Even thou my suggestion is to purchase the Apex, GHL had the best customer service I've ever experienced, despite being European based.

Couple of things to keep in mind. GHL is now in the process of phasing out the Profilux II. This means that future modules won't be compatible with the PII unless you upgrade to the PIII at the tune of $375! So as Kuyatwo stated above, GHL does have an upgrade option, but personally if the upgrade cost more than the price to buy a new Apex, I wouldn't consider that a positive. In my case, all I wanted to do was control my 2 MP10's. If I had an Apex, it simply would of cost me $75 for the VDM Module. With Profilux, I would have to partake in the upgrade ($375) plus purchase the Vortech Module for an additional $175. Total cost would be $550! Also, keep in mind the cost of Profilux's expensive powerbar. If your spending that much coin on a controller, I'm such you'll want to control more then just six outlets. The Apex starts you off with eight!

Kuyatwo did mention the dosing pumps. If you're planning on dosing 2 part and what not, I would highly recommend their stand alone dosing unit, which runs independent and comes with a built-in controller. Again, this is just my opinion and recommendation. Normally I don't get into debates about which is the superior product and whatnot, but I wish someone would have brought these topics to my attention when I was deciding which controller to get.

K

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back