API AMMO LOCK wiped out my acros...

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is mostly a vent about my stupidity. momentary lack of awesome.

So I tend to run my pH on the high side (8.5 - 8.6) and everything was looking great. At some point it started to creep close to 8.75 (Tested with Apex, Profilux, and pinpoint. New probes and calibration to confirm)

Suddenly, my 7 year old anemone dies within a couple days! That's when I start to worry. Running high pH can be a high-wire act but I've monitored the Alk uptake quite closely (multiple kits) so I know its not that. I did some digging and learned that even a small bit of Ammonia can become extra harmful at higher pH. I keep my Nitrate/Phosphate in line, but haven't tested for ammonia in ages. I shouldn't have any anyway! So I get a little paranoid...

Here is where I make a couple crucial mistakes. I test ammonia with API. And I didn't confirm the results until after I make THE BIG MISTAKE.
The big mistake: I dose the tank with API AMMO LOCK. The next day I wake up to 90% of the acros being bone-white. Most the montis look half dead, the LPS is closed up, and according to Red Sea I don't have any ammonia anyway....

At least the fish are fine.

Sometimes you forget just how quickly things can take a turn for the worse. I've had one major crash in the 20+ years I've been doing this, and while this particular event isn't anywhere near as bad, it still sucks. No more sticks for awhile.

source.gif

Last edited:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is mostly a vent about my stupidity.

So I tend to run my pH on the high side (8.5 - 8.6) and everything was looking great. At some point it started to creep close to 8.75 (Tested with Apex, Profilux, and pinpoint. New probes and calibration to confirm)

Suddenly, my 7 year old anemone dies within a couple days! That's when I start to worry. Running high pH can be a high-wire act but I've monitored the Alk uptake quite closely (multiple kits) so I know its not that. I did some digging and learned that even a small bit of Ammonia can become extra harmful at higher pH. I keep my Nitrate/Phosphate in line, but haven't tested for ammonia in ages. I shouldn't have any anyway! So I get a little paranoid...

Here is where I make a couple crucial mistakes. I test ammonia with API. And I didn't confirm the results until after I make THE BIG MISTAKE.
The big mistake: I dose the tank with API AMMO LOCK. The next day I wake up to 90% of the acros being bone-white. Most the montis look half dead, the LPS is closed up, and according to Red Sea I don't have any ammonia anyway....

At least the fish are fine.

Sometimes you forget just how quickly things can take a turn for the worse. I've had one major crash in the 20+ years I've been doing this, and while this particular event isn't anywhere near as bad, it still sucks. No more sticks for awhile.

source.gif

Don't be to hard on yourself. We all make mistakes when at times we know better. Hope things turn around soon for you! Hang in there!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ammo lock very harsh in which is why it reduces ammonia BUT mainly . . . . . it is formulated for freshwater and pond application.
Water changes, bio-media and even Seachem Alpha will accomplish your needs safely

OP
OP
smartwater101

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is formulated for freshwater and pond application.

yup. I was either reading about something else or bought the wrong thing, or both. Got too hasty. Have to remember to take my time and re-read labels before I dose new things.

...heck I should probably re-read labels on old things, that I already dose. Probably good to freshen up on that kind of stuff.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back