API General Cure

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I was actually thinking of dosing API Gen Cure in place of Prazi in my Display. I've dosed metroplex in the display before to kill off dinoflagellates, which it did very well.. So if the only two things in the GC are Prazi in powder form, and Metro, it should be display safe, right?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I was actually thinking of dosing API Gen Cure in place of Prazi in my Display. I've dosed metroplex in the display before to kill off dinoflagellates, which it did very well.. So if the only two things in the GC are Prazi in powder form, and Metro, it should be display safe, right?

That would depend on the dosage of metro used to kill off the dinos without killing other things in the display vs. the dosage that is found in General Cure. With GC you have to put in one packet for every 10 gallons I believe, so there isn't a way to adjust the dosage to fit - if indeed it needs to be adjusted to make it safe- and still be effective. I just wouldn't recommend it. It's safer to do it in a QT.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you doing prazi? Just to kill dinos or do you have a fluke issue?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you doing prazi? Just to kill dinos or do you have a fluke issue?

Flukes. I just mentioned that I used Metro for dinos. I've tested three times now -- When I dose Prazipro, dinos come back. Guaranteed, everytime. Never would have thought Prazi was the problem.. But after being dino free for months, I finally dosed some prazi, and within 2 days I have the beginnings for Dinos.

I'm guessing the alcohol in it gives them the fuel they need. 3 coincidences in a row is nothing to scoff at.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes. I just mentioned that I used Metro for dinos. I've tested three times now -- When I dose Prazipro, dinos come back. Guaranteed, everytime. Never would have thought Prazi was the problem.. But after being dino free for months, I finally dosed some prazi, and within 2 days I have the beginnings for Dinos.

I'm guessing the alcohol in it gives them the fuel they need. 3 coincidences in a row is nothing to scoff at.
I use GC in my QT while I am dosing CP (enough abbreviations, lol?). It gets expensive because you need 1 packet per 10 gallons, so 1 course on a 50 gallon is about $25.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I don't have room to QT, and I can't catch my wrasse to give them a proper QT either.

ShadowR55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving an older thread but I’m new to reefkeeping and am planning on quarantining for 10 days using General Cure and Chloroquine Phosphate.

The GC and CP will be dosed on day 1, then another dose of GC on day 5 and then on day 11, I would move them to the display. Does this cover most of my basis when it comes to marine diseases?

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving an older thread but I’m new to reefkeeping and am planning on quarantining for 10 days using General Cure and Chloroquine Phosphate.

The GC and CP will be dosed on day 1, then another dose of GC on day 5 and then on day 11, I would move them to the display. Does this cover most of my basis when it comes to marine diseases?

You should wait until the fish are feeding before adding medication. The recommended treatment time for copper or CP is 30+ days, but this assumes your goal is to irradicate ich or velvet from the QT. If your goal is just to have your fish free of parasites, 10 days should work as long as you are at therapeutic levels all 10 days. This is what I do, but I run 12-15 days at therapeutic levels. When you treat for less than 30 days, you must add the fish to a new, sanitized tank (which could be the display tank). If you were to leave the fish in the QT and reduce the medication levels, the fish could be re-infected.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CP can be dosed on Day 1, but GC should only be dosed twice - on Day 2 and Day 9, for example.

Also, you should not transfer the fish right into your DT after only 10-11 days of treatment. You should transfer them into a non-medicated holding tank for further observation. To watch for bacterial infections, intestinal worms, and other ailments CP + GC DOES NOT TREAT.

ShadowR55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have a few new fish in the quarantine right now. I dosed Chloroquine Phosphate and API General Cure(2 packets in 20 Gallons of water)about 6 hours apart making sure the fish showed no signs of stress. They are doing good about 12 hours later. I plan on dosing General Cure again on day 6.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have a few new fish in the quarantine right now. I dosed Chloroquine Phosphate and API General Cure(2 packets in 20 Gallons of water)about 6 hours apart making sure the fish showed no signs of stress. They are doing good about 12 hours later. I plan on dosing General Cure again on day 6.
I still need to figure out how to get CP. It would be nice to have some CP for treatment as I am about to order 2 wrasses.

ShadowR55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now on Day 5 of CP + GC, all the fish are eating but I have one blue spotted puffer which looks to have some type of infection. Not sure what it is, but it’s been getting worse, but he’s eating fine and swimming around like normal. Attached is a picture. Looks like white patches on his skin.
1E0FB61C-374C-4744-8AA5-704C69A4AA42.jpeg

1874AF31-AC8C-43CF-8FE7-34A0AC3BCAB1.jpeg

ShadowR55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 10: with a correction, I never saw the long nose hawkfish eating since day 1, I tried feeding all types of food and never saw him eat as he was always perched in a PVC pipe or up by the heater. He passed today, just found him sitting in the bottom of the tank. All other fish are doing fine.

Jeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with general cure you are not dosing double the dose that it recommends when you reduce the dosing schedule to twice? I have been dosing 10 gallons 4 times. One packet (actually I have an large container with a scoop) then another in 48 hrs, then change 2.5 gallons after 48 hrs and repeat...

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with general cure you are not dosing double the dose that it recommends when you reduce the dosing schedule to twice? I have been dosing 10 gallons 4 times. One packet (actually I have an large container with a scoop) then another in 48 hrs, then change 2.5 gallons after 48 hrs and repeat...
I do one packet in 10 gallons, then another 5 days later. I haven't had a problem, but it has always been prophylactic, not an active infection.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do one packet in 10 gallons, then another 5 days later. I haven't had a problem, but it has always been prophylactic, not an active infection.

^^ This is the correct way to use General Cure; redose in 5-7 days.

DO NOT follow the directions which say to redose in 48 hrs.

Tanggirl12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read the whole thread trying to find if you can dose GC with copper safe? This is my first time using copper safe instead of cupramine, Any tips would be appreciated. Qt’ing three tangs and a fox face. Been conditioned for 2 weeks so far no meds given. Thanks!

Back