OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read the whole thread trying to find if you can dose GC with copper safe? This is my first time using copper safe instead of cupramine, Any tips would be appreciated. Qt’ing three tangs and a fox face. Been conditioned for 2 weeks so far no meds given. Thanks!

Yes, you can mix GC with Coppersafe. The only problem with GC is it doesn't dissolve easily. So, either mix it in a cup before dosing (a drop or two of vodka will help fully dissolve the powder), or dump the powder into a brine shrimp net, partially submerge, gently knead so fine particles drift out into the aquarium. Continue until all has been expressed into the water.

Tanggirl12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can mix GC with Coppersafe. The only problem with GC is it doesn't dissolve easily. So, either mix it in a cup before dosing (a drop or two of vodka will help fully dissolve the powder), or dump the powder into a brine shrimp net, partially submerge, gently knead so fine particles drift out into the aquarium. Continue until all has been expressed into the water.
I read all the suggestions on that, very helpful. Thanks!

georgecoat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much. You only need to dose it once, then wait 5-7 days and dose it once more. The second dose 48 hours later is not needed each time.

I have a question about proper API GC use modification suggested in this thread.
The correct steps should be:

1. For best results, remove activated carbon or filter cartridge from filter and continue aeration.
2. For each 10 gallons (38 L) of water, empty one packet directly into aquarium.
3. After 5-7 days repeat dose of API CG as in step 2.
4. After 5-7 days change 25% of the aquarium water and add fresh activated carbon or replace filter cartridge.

I am not sure about the step 4 (shown in bold). Should I wait after second dose 5-7 days?
Please note that 48 hour repeat is skipped in both cases as suggested here. So there are only 1 dose on day 1 and second dose on day 7.
How long should I wait after the second dose before I replace 25% of water and add activated carbon filter?
Thank you!

Last edited:

georgecoat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@georgecoat You can do the 25% WC 48-72 hrs after the second dose of GC.
Thank you very much Humblefish!
This treatment saved my red platy as we speak. About 2-3 weeks ago started to show this signs: emaciation, stringy white poop, spitting food, getting weak and very thin and small and eventually completely giving up on the food and hiding in the cave under the rock. I increased the water temperature and started to treat with API GC as you guys suggested in this thread. Today is second day after the second dose and tomorrow I will change water. My male platy came back to life, right after first dose. Today it is very active, back to normal behavior with big appetite, happy and exploring the aquarium like nothing ever happen. Thank you all for your suggestions, they got my platy back to life.
Do you guys recommend repeating this treatment in the future as a precaution even if there are no signs of troubles?
Do you recommend also to treat every new fish from the store this way in separate tank before introducing it to my aquarium?
Thank you!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

georgecoat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To break the life cycle before the next one's can lay eggs.

^^ This; API's instructions to redose in 48 hrs demonstrates a lack of knowledge on their part.

This "treatment calendar" (developed by the Marine Parasitology Laboratory, James Cook University in Townsville, Queensland) accurately takes into account the life cycle of Neobenedenia (the most common genus of marine flukes): http://www.marineparasites.com/paratreatmentcal.html

As you can see, treatment schedule is affected by salinity & water temperature, but in most cases redosing Prazipro/GC 6-7 days after the initial treatment is the correct course of action.

Badguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to revive this.
I have currently im QT 1 GREEN CORRIS wrasse, a lawnmower Benny, royal gamma and a neon goby..i haven't had any death, well one neon goby was bullied into carpet surfing, i had them in QT without any medication for two weeks beforefor dosing GC..At no time have I seen any indication of external parasites. I finished dosing first round of GC, 3rd week, and preparing for second..its a small tank of 10g. I would have imagined that with the stress of the space the any external would be showing by now. My question is would you dose copper or just observe for 4 more weeks?

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Humblefish.

I’m planning on using general Cure + CP.

I want to soak my food in GC instead of dosing the tank. Focus will be used to bind.

If I use bonded GC + CP can I run both at the same time through the 30 day treatment period? It seemed like this is more efficient and gets the fish into the observation period faster since you don’t have to do two rounds of GC/Prazi if you feed the fish directly.

Would the mix ratio instructions still be around the same like with metro or do I need a higher dosage for GC (I’m buying GC in bulk powder form). I use a half scoop of metro and a half cube of frozen food with a half scoop of focus and RODI + selcon to mix and soak food. That usually gives me three days worth of food in QT.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You'll take one scoop of GC and one scoop of Focus and add it to 1 tablespoon of (thawed) frozen or pellet food. If using pellets then use a small amount of water in the mix. Let soak in the meds for at least 20 minutes before feeding. Keep the remainder in the fridge for a few days until used up. Keep doing this for a minimum of 10 days, though it will likely take longer since some intestinal worms can be stubborn.

Digging up an old thread - I have a fish that I can’t get out of DT and I need to treat. Has anyone used the above mix to treat in DT? I tried Prazi and it didn’t work at all.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Works fine in DT. The only issue I had was with bubble tip anemones. If you have anemones, you might want to add the medicated food to the tank slowly when you feed so there isn’t much blowing around to be captured by anemones.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Works fine in DT. The only issue I had was with bubble tip anemones. If you have anemones, you might want to add the medicated food to the tank slowly when you feed so there isn’t much blowing around to be captured by anemones.
Thank you for the reply - no anemones just a few SPS.

androidx1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose today and then again next Thursday (March 16). The 48 hrs later dosage is unnecessary.
Quick Queston:
So since I am skipping the second dose at 48hrs, am I to double the initial dose to 2 packets/10 gallons? Or should I still only dose as prescribed 1 packet/10gal. Then skip the second dose @ 48hrs, and just do a second dose 7 days later?

Also, should I do a water change sometime before my second dose (maybe just before I put my second dose in) or midpoint (3-4 days)….

Thanks

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,

does metronidazole persist in an aquarium after use like copper? Does it affix to media or silicone, etc?

I used api general cure in a qt tank this last week. The tank is now done with the fish qt and I am running carbon to remove general cure.

I also use the tank for coral quarantine.

So far I’ve only used focus, hydrogen peroxide, and api general cure in this qt tank. No copper.

do I need to worry about any remaining metronidazole when putting some new expensive acros in this quarantine tank in two weeks? I plan on doing a big water change but want to be safe.

thank you!!!

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to bring this informative thread back to life and I’m looking for some feedback because I am striking out with every single wrasse I get!

I purchased a yellow pintail fairy wrasse recently he died.. I purchased a lubbock fairy wrasse he died.. now I’m on a mccoskers fairy wrasse and it’s showing signs of white stringy poo..

The Pintail and the Lubbock were both in the same QT tank and noticed signs of white stringy poo.. I feed them focus and metro and things seemed to be fine until there was a little hostility between the 2, I removed the Lubbock put him into another tank and within a day or two the pintail dies.. shortly after I noticed the sunken belly, and white stringy poo on the Lubbock..

started metro and focus and 24hrs he died..

I then purchased both prazipro and general cure, and purchased a mccoskers wrasse. He’s been doing great in QT. I decided to do GC and just did my second dose this morning (48hrs after the first dose) when I saw some WHITE STRINGY POO!!!

I wish I saw this post earlier to know the internals lay eggs which obviously reinfected my new mccoskers and the fact that I should dose again 7 days after first introduction of GC..

any help would be appreciated as this has been an unfortunate experience with these beautiful fish..

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Gerneral Cure, You don't need to do the second dose after 48 hours. It's best to wait 5-7 days after the first dose.

Dose. Wait 5-7 days. Do a 25% water change. Re dose. Wait 5-7 days. Do a 25% water change and then observe for 10-14 days. Sometimes another cycle is necessary.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back