API General Cure

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose today and then again next Thursday (March 16). The 48 hrs later dosage is unnecessary.
I'm going to be using GC over Prazipro for the first time and got a little confused in this thread but I think you and @melypr1985 cleared it up. I'm assuming that 48 hours just didn't apply to what we are trying to do with the 2 doses (second in 5 days) correct? So pretty much it's the same dosing schedule as Prazipro.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I strongly recommend using GC in lieu of Prazipro on wrasses and other prazi sensitive fish. GC contains a more appropriate praziquantel dosage (2.0 mg/L); whereas Prazipro is slightly overdosed at 2.5 mg/L. Most fish should be able to handle this higher dosage, but it could be to blame for the deaths of wrasses and other sensitive species.
Is this something that you discovered recently?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this something that you discovered recently?

It's something I've suspected for a long time, but just recently was able to confirm that 2.0 mg/L is a sufficient praziquantel dosage for eradicating flukes, black ich, etc.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. That was my go to med for wrasses.
At least for the relatively few wrasses ( compared to others here) I have had.

You just gotta be really careful not to overdose with wrasses.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will it hurt my anemone

Potentially yes, you dont' want to dose general cure into the display directly. you can bind it to food to make it a reef safe option but running carbon is always smart. Otherwise, you want to do this med in a QT.

wogden98520

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potentially yes, you dont' want to dose general cure into the display directly. you can bind it to food to make it a reef safe option but running carbon is always smart. Otherwise, you want to do this med in a QT.
Do you know how to mix it with the foodfood

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know how to mix it with the foodfood

You'll take one scoop of GC and one scoop of Focus and add it to 1 tablespoon of (thawed) frozen or pellet food. If using pellets then use a small amount of water in the mix. Let soak in the meds for at least 20 minutes before feeding. Keep the remainder in the fridge for a few days until used up. Keep doing this for a minimum of 10 days, though it will likely take longer since some intestinal worms can be stubborn.

wogden98520

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll take one scoop of GC and one scoop of Focus and add it to 1 tablespoon of (thawed) frozen or pellet food. If using pellets then use a small amount of water in the mix. Let soak in the meds for at least 20 minutes before feeding. Keep the remainder in the fridge for a few days until used up. Keep doing this for a minimum of 10 days, though it will likely take longer since some intestinal worms can be stubborn.
What is focus?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is focus?

It's a binder sold by seachem. it will bind the general cure (or other meds) to food so that it doesn't leach out into the water. It makes sure that the med actually gets eaten by the fish.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a binder sold by seachem. it will bind the general cure (or other meds) to food so that it doesn't leach out into the water. It makes sure that the med actually gets eaten by the fish.
On the Focus directions I have, it says 5:1 focus:medication.

Mundeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When using frozen food, is it ok to add a tablespoon of water to thaw it, or should i let it thaw on its own, then add meds?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When using frozen food, is it ok to add a tablespoon of water to thaw it, or should i let it thaw on its own, then add meds?

I tend to add a little bit of water. Just enough to make it "muddy"

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually use garlic guard or Entice Instead of water to keep it palatable but maybe I won't have to do that if I don't have to use so much Focus.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back