Applications for Neptune Systems OS-1

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be ordering an optical sensor for my Apex so that I can monitor the level of my automatic top-off container. It got me thinking about what other applications these sensors are being used for.

What are you monitoring?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump. Neptune Apex guys, what else can you do with this?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use one in the topoff reservoir. They are the same sensors as in the ATK and the DDR, so I keep some as spares for those devices. I also use one as a 'Skimmer Cup Full' sensor. Honestly that last is probably the second most useful (after the low level ATK sensor), although some would recommend a float valve in the skimmer cup given that you're working with gunk and foam and not clean water (OS subject to false CLOSED state), but with my close monitoring, I'm ok with that particular risk. The third most useful, although it's never been activated, is one that I mounted at the very top of the overflow compartment. It is designed to close and alert me if the water level rises that high, meaning that even the emergency drain has been overwhelmed for some reason.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can create the perfect shape for dropping in any container by turning the sensor back on itself so that it's pointed up/along the wire, and then zip-tying the stiff wire to itself just under the sensor body. When you use them, make sure they're always pointed up or sideways, never down as it can cause false CLOSED states.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back