AP's INT 75 Build

AP138

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AP here. Newbie to R2R. Still fairly new in the fishkeeping hobby but jumped in with both feet. Started up a Biocube 16 as my first tank. Now its a year later and I'm now living somewhere that will allow something bigger! I was initially leaning towards a RS350 , but then I saw the INT and it was love at first sight. And will come out slightly cheaper than the RS350 when things are said and done.

Got the tank today! Just doing just a quick leveling check (hint, the floor isn't) with a couple gallons of water. Still going to do a leak test proper this week.
IMG_20180817_225837.jpg

Decided on a Bashsea 301014 for the sump.
IMG_20180817_222247.jpg

Wanted something shallow so I could also fit an ATO reservoir (and maybe a doser in the future) within the stand, but it does restrict my return pump options, so the return will be a Syncra Silent 3.0.

The only other confirmed piece of equipment is the Finnex Fugeray clip-light that I had lying around. Should be plenty enough to grow chaeto; it grew plenty of algae on the FW 10 I had it on.

Also still need to make the decision on getting a RODI unit or just getting water from the LFS.

Planned equipment (always open to suggestions):
  • RO 15x Skimmer
  • Kessil AP700
  • ATO - TBD (probably the ATK for future compatibility)
  • Icecap Gyre 3k + controller
  • 2x 200w heaters
  • Neptune Apex (longer term)

As far as livestock I'm wanting a mixed reef. I have decided that I will only get coral that has been fragged out by local reefers, or is aquacultured. I will try and do this with fish as well, but I realize that most larger fish don't breed in captivity, or if they do they are prohibitively expensive. I'm also more okay with wild caught fish since most aquarium fish are classified by IUCN as "least concern".

Planned stocking (in order of desire):
  • Mandarin dragonet
  • Pair designer clowns and nem
  • Blenny (Leaning Bicolor or Midas)
  • Fairy/Leopard Wrasse (maybe 2)
  • Dwarf Angel (exact TBD) *coral iffy, I know
  • Bristletooth or Kole Tang (maybe a yellow, but I know they right on the edge size wise)
  • Other dither fish (Dartfish/firefish, cardinals, chromis, etc)
  • Snowflake Eel?
Updates will probably be weekly since I'm going to try sourcing everything through my LFS and they make weekly orders. Next update should cover plumbing, scape and getting rock wet.

Always looking for feedback or suggestions, so fire away!

OP
OP
A

AP138

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For plumbing I'm planning to hard plumb the primary drain. Then go for soft for both emergency overflows and the return. Or should I go full hard or soft?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up, great pictures and thanks for sharing them with us and your new tank.

And welcome to R2R!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AP here. Newbie to R2R. Still fairly new in the fishkeeping hobby but jumped in with both feet. Started up a Biocube 16 as my first tank. Now its a year later and I'm now living somewhere that will allow something bigger! I was initially leaning towards a RS350 , but then I saw the INT and it was love at first sight. And will come out slightly cheaper than the RS350 when things are said and done.

Got the tank today! Just doing just a quick leveling check (hint, the floor isn't) with a couple gallons of water. Still going to do a leak test proper this week.
IMG_20180817_225837.jpg

Decided on a Bashsea 301014 for the sump.
IMG_20180817_222247.jpg

Wanted something shallow so I could also fit an ATO reservoir (and maybe a doser in the future) within the stand, but it does restrict my return pump options, so the return will be a Syncra Silent 3.0.

The only other confirmed piece of equipment is the Finnex Fugeray clip-light that I had lying around. Should be plenty enough to grow chaeto; it grew plenty of algae on the FW 10 I had it on.

Also still need to make the decision on getting a RODI unit or just getting water from the LFS.

Planned equipment (always open to suggestions):
  • RO 15x Skimmer
  • Kessil AP700
  • ATO - TBD (probably the ATK for future compatibility)
  • Icecap Gyre 3k + controller
  • 2x 200w heaters
  • Neptune Apex (longer term)

As far as livestock I'm wanting a mixed reef. I have decided that I will only get coral that has been fragged out by local reefers, or is aquacultured. I will try and do this with fish as well, but I realize that most larger fish don't breed in captivity, or if they do they are prohibitively expensive. I'm also more okay with wild caught fish since most aquarium fish are classified by IUCN as "least concern".

Planned stocking (in order of desire):
  • Mandarin dragonet
  • Pair designer clowns and nem
  • Blenny (Leaning Bicolor or Midas)
  • Fairy/Leopard Wrasse (maybe 2)
  • Dwarf Angel (exact TBD) *coral iffy, I know
  • Bristletooth or Kole Tang (maybe a yellow, but I know they right on the edge size wise)
  • Other dither fish (Dartfish/firefish, cardinals, chromis, etc)
  • Snowflake Eel?
Updates will probably be weekly since I'm going to try sourcing everything through my LFS and they make weekly orders. Next update should cover plumbing, scape and getting rock wet.

Always looking for feedback or suggestions, so fire away!

Sounds great! One thing, though, do not spend all that money on a dream setup and skimp on the water quality. Buy the RO/DI unit. LOL!

OP
OP
A

AP138

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great! One thing, though, do not spend all that money on a dream setup and skimp on the water quality. Buy the RO/DI unit. LOL!
Fair. My hesitations as why I wouldn't is 1. I am kinda space restricted for RO/DI storage and I just don't want it to be in a brute can. So I would need to source a tall, fairly narrow, water storage container and try to dodge a shipping charge the cost of the container. 2. I would literally be using the same BRS 5-stage system on the same town water source as my LFS. They also sell RO/DI for $.30/gallon so I could still mix whatever salt I wanted. That puts the break even point for an RO/DI system at ~900 gallons (assuming retail price for the BRS system) of RO/DI generation.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair. My hesitations as why I wouldn't is 1. I am kinda space restricted for RO/DI storage and I just don't want it to be in a brute can. So I would need to source a tall, fairly narrow, water storage container and try to dodge a shipping charge the cost of the container. 2. I would literally be using the same BRS 5-stage system on the same town water source as my LFS. They also sell RO/DI for $.30/gallon so I could still mix whatever salt I wanted. That puts the break even point for an RO/DI system at ~900 gallons (assuming retail price for the BRS system) of RO/DI generation.

$0.30 is a great price. Definitely worth considering if space is an issue. Just use a TDS meter to test each batch. My experience from testing several LFS in my area was some were not 0 or were not consistent.

OP
OP
A

AP138

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leak checking the bulkheads now, and seeing a drip from inside (where the PVC fits) one of them. Should I be worried about this?

IMG_20180821_013147.jpg

I've l ready tried swapping which bulkhead was used, and I can't flip the PVC tube since it came pre-glued into the t-connector for the primary overflow.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leak checking the bulkheads now, and seeing a drip from inside (where the PVC fits) one of them. Should I be worried about this?

IMG_20180821_013147.jpg

I've l ready tried swapping which bulkhead was used, and I can't flip the PVC tube since it came pre-glued into the t-connector for the primary overflow.

I have no experience with that. I would suggest you may want to start a thread in the equipment forum to get more eyes on it.

OP
OP
A

AP138

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that just cleared up on its own after another re-seat of the overflow.

Plumbing dry-fit check before I glue it in tomorrow. Plan was to hard plumb the full syphon, and soft plumb the second, emergency, and return.

IMG_20180827_225748.jpg

OP
OP
A

AP138

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rockwork critique? The build was mainly Caribsea Arches.

Went in with 3 wants when building 1. Inside the rock work (caves, arches, etc) was for the benefit of the fish (and the outside for mixed reef coral placements). 2. I wanted to have at least a single sight line through the rock from all sides. 3. Not look too man-made/symmetrical.

MVIMG_20180908_144641.jpg

MVIMG_20180908_144711.jpg

OP
OP
A

AP138

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went with the second, more or less. Rock is wet and pumps are flowing! Now the wait begins.

20180908_202918.jpg

OP
OP
A

AP138

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light has been decided. I'll figure out the mounting solution before its actually needed, but a 36" Sunpower Nanobox Retrofit was available very locally (didn't realize how close @Berlibee was). Bulb plan is 2 B+, P+, and C+.

OP
OP
A

AP138

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights! After some discussion with my LFS ended up going with 3 B+ and one C+. Also went with the AI HMS Mounting Arms and Rail. Height is 10" off the surface, and they are rock steady on the tank.

T5's only:
IMG_20181008_182758.jpg
With blues filtered
IMG_20181008_182821.jpg

Led 100% all channels no T5:
IMG_20181009_190616.jpg
With Blues Filtered
IMG_20181009_190640.jpg

Led 100% all channels and T5:
IMG_20181008_183206.jpg
With blues filtered
IMG_20181008_183229.jpg

Plans have changed from before. I was told that if I didn't go SPS dominant with this light, I may come home to missing. I was thinking about doing anyway, so it didn't take much arm twisting to change my mind. I will be adding more flow besides the single MP40 once I get more sticks in, but I want it to mature with fish before adding the expensive ones.

Cycling is done, so first wet livestock is going this weekend! Taking suggestions on what should go first, and final stocking plans.With the switch over to SPS and more flow I was leaning more towards Anthias' as centerpieces instead of the smaller Tangs. The only eventual mandatory fish is a mandarin, once the fuge has and can sustain a good pod population (or my lfs gets one that will eat frozen).

OP
OP
A

AP138

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on this thread? Hows the inside of the stand looking?

A 2 fold thanks for pinging me about this! 1. I was able to drop the trap on a bully while I was starting to take the pics. 2. I had just forgotten. On to the update.

MVIMG_20190127_141611.jpg

So yea, its still going! The only major deviation from the original plan is to wait on coral, still planning on like 90% sticks, til July. I'm planning on moving in June, hopefully to somewhere that is mine, and its going to be a big enough pain to move the tank without having the rocks covered in coral too.

Sump:
IMG_20190127_141012.jpg

Life support hardware:
Reef Octo 110 INT Classic, using MarinePure as risers
Kessil H80
Apex 2016
Neptune ATK
Neptune AFS

Stuck to the hard plumbing for the full siphon, and running the secondary down behind the skimmer into the first chamber. Having a minor regret about getting the narrow, front to back, Biofuge. Its a bit cramped in the first chamber, but it's minor in the grand scheme of things. The fuge is sorta going. It is definitely keeping the more annoying nuisance algae out of the display, but the little bit of Chaeto isnt taking off how I ultimately would like. Last week I changed to a H80 from a Finnex Fugeray clip-light, so we will see how that goes. Also planning on getting another MP40, a WXM, and maybe some smaller, Apex controllable power-heads for the back of the rockwork.

MVIMG_20190127_145609.jpg

Current livestock:
2x Clowns
3x Ignatus Anthias
4x Lyretail Anthias
1x ORA Kamohara Blenny

I know I'm pushing the stocking limit and req's, especially for the lyretails, but I'm not seeing any aggression, everyone eats like pigs, and my params are still in check. (The bully I trapped was a 2 Spot Hogfish, and he was only a bully towards some wrasses I tried before adding the lyretails.) I think having Tricolor or Social wrasses would be nice, but will sit on the idea until the fuge is up and running proper.

Let's hope that I don't forget about this thread again for another 3 months!

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking awesome man! Hopefully the move works out well for you. I just bought a house last year and finally getting around to an upgrade!

Loving the anthias. I was planning to do a trio of lyretails as well so i'm glad to hear its working out so well for you.

So you would like the sump to be wider and take up all the stand if you had the choice?

OP
OP
A

AP138

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you would like the sump to be wider and take up all the stand if you had the choice?

Basically. I did the 30x10x14 Biofuge, when they also make a 30x14x16. The trade off is that I can keep my ATO reservoir, a stock 5.5gal tank, and a dosing pump/reservoirs (longer term) inside the stand with the narrower one. But with the Trident on the horizon, having an external equipment cabinet with the wider sump, is looking like a pretty good upgrade possibility.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically. I did the 30x10x14 Biofuge, when they also make a 30x14x16. The trade off is that I can keep my ATO reservoir, a stock 5.5gal tank, and a dosing pump/reservoirs (longer term) inside the stand with the narrower one. But with the Trident on the horizon, having an external equipment cabinet with the wider sump, is looking like a pretty good upgrade possibility.

Hey one last question! That sump can handle the volume when the return is off? I picked up one with slightly more capacity and just wwant to make sure im good to go in that regard.

OP
OP
A

AP138

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does for me, but every situation is slightly different.

I have around an inch of extra height when everything is off. I did intentionally set my return nozzles in such a way to get very little back flow when the pump is off though.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back