Aptasia eating filefish review

Dalton Hunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried everything to fix my aptasia problem (Copper-banded Butterfly, peppermint shrimp, aptasia-x, and aptasia away). About two weeks ago I finally broke down and bought a CAPTIVE raised aptasia eating filefish ($30). I have always been worried about purchasing these considering the fact they are known to eat other softies. Knowing my luck I would be the one to get one that would eat anything BUT aptasia. After introducing him to my tank he laid low for about three days and didn't do much at all. On the fourth night as I was leaving work we was floating around but still eating no aptasia. when I got home the following morning I had maybe a handful of visible (VERY large) aptasia left, when I started with what had to easily be 300+ visible. He has messed with absolutely no soft coral as of yet. Now that the aptasia population has been almost eliminated he eats small pellets and LOVES live brine shrimp.

IMO I have no negative comments about this fish as of yet. He is full of personality, very bold, and a beautifully interesting addition to my tank. If you have any questions feel free to message me!

Hope everyone has a great night and happy reefing!

- Dalton

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 9.58.43 PM.png

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They like nori too;) I have had a matted file fish in my tank for a year and a half. Probably my favorite fish.

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a pair in my 50G reef for over 1.5 years. They are a great fish and will eat anything I throw in the tank. I do not use dry food. Try live Black worms, they go crazy after them.

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear. I finally broke down and added one to my tank. Fingers crossed.[emoji120] He seemed to really get to work if the stringy brown detritus hanging off his backside was a good sign. I spend a little time out of town, so have to count on not so committed eyes on tank.

Reduck

^ His name is Trent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added one as well. He was a known aptasia eater and he didn't let me down. First day he circled the tank and got the lay of the land. Two days later, I only saw one aptasia. I see none now. He eats pellets, nori and frozen readily. Not touched a coral or clam. Seems to get along well with other inhabitants.
Very interesting fish to watch.

twf0369

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi...just wanted to see how the filefish is doing in your tank? Iam considering purchasing one with hopes he may eat mojano anemones.

Did you purchase yours online?

Thank you
Kevin
I recently added one as well. He was a known aptasia eater and he didn't let me down. First day he circled the tank and got the lay of the land. Two days later, I only saw one aptasia. I see none now. He eats pellets, nori and frozen readily. Not touched a coral or clam. Seems to get along well with other inhabitants.
Very interesting fish to watch.

Reduck

^ His name is Trent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi...just wanted to see how the filefish is doing in your tank? Iam considering purchasing one with hopes he may eat mojano anemones.

Did you purchase yours online?

Thank you
Kevin

The filefish did an amazing job! Cleaned house in a few days. He eats pellets and nori. He has been a model citizen.
I actually "borrowed" him from a fellow reefer and good friend.. He was a known aptasia eater and he lived up to his past. He is still in my tank as my wife fell in love with him!

Pockets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a mana o problem few yrs ago in my 50 gallon I got a rock from a friend with a couple on it he said kill them or they'll take over haha I thought they looked cool. Few months time they were every where I mean hundreds I bought the majano wand and sat there zapping them very time consuming and never was able to get all of them and they just kept coming back. Read up on the file fish and gave it a shot and I never seen him eat one not one but they all magically began to disappear so in my experience the file is a majano magician lol

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matted file fish are like magic, when you go to bed the aiptasia are there, when you wake up they're gone.:eek::D

Pockets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only all tank problems would just be a bad dream wake up and everything's fine lol

hollback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I added one to my 120 to take out aiptasia. It left the aiptasia alone and went after zoanthids, then acans, then finally it started picking at my acros so it had to go. The peppermint shrimp did the trick for me.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where you guys obtain the file fish from? and the scientific name?

OP
OP
Dalton Hunter

Dalton Hunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one that loved Aptasia..... and my hammer and torch corals as well.

he hasnt mess with any of my hammer, torch, or octo. he loves live brine and pellets!

Matted file fish are like magic, when you go to bed the aiptasia are there, when you wake up they're gone.:eek::D

Thats exactly what mine did lol

I added one to my 120 to take out aiptasia. It left the aiptasia alone and went after zoanthids, then acans, then finally it started picking at my acros so it had to go. The peppermint shrimp did the trick for me.

Peppermint shrimp didnt do anything for me. It was a big waste of money IMO. thought I could have gotten a stupid group of shrimp lol. thank god my filefish hasnt touched anything else. Now I need to get a harlaquin shrimp to take care of my astaris stars.

where you guys obtain the file fish from? and the scientific name?

I got mine from a LFS, green aptasia eating filefish. not sure of the scientific name.

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if filefish will eat mushroom corals?

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me if they have problems with their filefish eating ricordia? This particular filefish just loves clove polyps so we had to switch tanks, but I want to add some mushroom corals to the tank he is in. Thanks!

pezcadoazul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filefish did an amazing job! Cleaned house in a few days. He eats pellets and nori. He has been a model citizen.
I actually "borrowed" him from a fellow reefer and good friend.. He was a known aptasia eater and he lived up to his past. He is still in my tank as my wife fell in love with him!
Do you have shrimp and, if so, did the file fish go after them?

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're very interesting fish, and they can do good work, but I've had a couple that liked to eat acans and those fleshy LPS - not necessarily different from some CBBs and such, but something to look out for.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back