Aquamaxx DFC80 owners

Fuzznutz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to purchase this skimmer and wanted to hear from some of you that have it...the good, bad, ugly, or whatever. I have a 60g cube with a JNS Cones CO1 that is stripping my tank down to nothing at times...thinking the smaller skimmer and controllable pump will help me out.

Current stock is only 5 fish (but the plan is to be at 7 or 8), I feed a little heavy, attempting to keep sps, run floss in the sump sock cup.

TIA

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t help with current review, but I also didn’t find mch info on it beyond a few reviews of the other sizes. I picked it up for a 65g water volume setup. No livestock yet, but plan on stocking slightly heavy and feeding heavier. With the dc pump I expect to be able to really fine tune it to my needs. For tanks our size the dc skimmer market seems kinda limited.

OP
OP
F

Fuzznutz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty for the reply and agreed. I figured a few peeps would have chimed in about how well theirs are doing....I might jump on it here soon, but the Deltec 400i keeps calling me.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine arrived the other day and I have it breaking in in a bucket. Even at 70% the pump is loud. The cup lid also doesn’t fit the cup nicely and makes its own noise. Smart move going elsewhere

OP
OP
F

Fuzznutz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine arrived the other day and I have it breaking in in a bucket. Even at 70% the pump is loud. The cup lid also doesn’t fit the cup nicely and makes its own noise. Smart move going elsewhere
Hmmmm...mine should be here by Wednesday. Hoping I don't have the same issues, though, I'm not super picky on sound as long as it's not extreme.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sitting at 40db, but the issue I have is more the pump/impeller rattle than anything else. BRS told me it can take 1-2 weeks to break in and to let them know if the decibel is 60db or higher. Even at 40db the rattle is extremely annoying. If the noise does not change in a week I will be pressing BRS for a replacement pump.

OP
OP
F

Fuzznutz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine today, sitting in a bucket of rodi and citric acid... it's pretty quit imo

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well darn. Glad to hear yours is quiet. Thank you for the update.

OP
OP
F

Fuzznutz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No top rattle or anything of that nature. The pump makes a small bit of noise, nothing crazy though.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What depth do you have it in? What power setting?

OP
OP
F

Fuzznutz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say 8-9", 100%

I do get a little bit of what sounds like a rubber belt moving. I have a ConeSC01 that took a little while to get silent... this one is pretty quiet out the box though.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it sitting in 7.5”. I’ll raise it and maybe that will change the head pressure enough to fix it

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump rattles like crazy if the air is shut down. I have seen old posts complaining and the silencer is put together wrong in the photos. The air is adjustable on mine but not mentioned anywhere in the instructions. Thomas BRS put out a video. I recently swiched to the Aquamaxx Q1 and it is the best skimmer I have ever owned. It replaced the Octo Essence 130 which is also a good skimmer probably #2 on my list now overall. These should get much more attention and sales. Amazing skimmer, silent under cabinet, cup design alone is genius! Pulling black skim in a couple days. Sitting in 8 inches with air shut down half way and skimming immediately. I have owned all brands over 30 years except the Royal Exclusive.

Please reefers, if you are buying a skimmer give these a try! We need this company to hang around. They also have the best reactor I have seen.

Essence 130 in use since March 2021 for sale including few month old neck cleaner- PM

OP
OP
F

Fuzznutz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine DFC-80 is pretty quiet, though was getting loud in the bucket when the water was evaporating. I've got it in 8" of water in the sump and she's already kicking ****.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump rattles like crazy if the air is shut down. I have seen old posts complaining and the silencer is put together wrong in the photos. The air is adjustable on mine but not mentioned anywhere in the instructions. Thomas BRS put out a video. I recently swiched to the Aquamaxx Q1 and it is the best skimmer I have ever owned. It replaced the Octo Essence 130 which is also a good skimmer probably #2 on my list now overall. These should get much more attention and sales. Amazing skimmer, silent under cabinet, cup design alone is genius! Pulling black skim in a couple days. Sitting in 8 inches with air shut down half way and skimming immediately. I have owned all brands over 30 years except the Royal Exclusive.

Please reefers, if you are buying a skimmer give these a try! We need this company to hang around. They also have the best reactor I have seen.

Essence 130 in use since March 2021 for sale including few month old neck cleaner- PM
Do you know the title of the video?

OP
OP
F

Fuzznutz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running my motor100%, air valve about 40%, water line at about the neck... did a few days of citric acid in a bucket, then in the sump 3 days ago. Looking good so far.

20220927_161638.jpg

Back