Aquamedic vs Current Outer Orbit fixtures

cobraz

Zoo Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own an Aquamedic and was thinking of buying a new fixture.
Does anyone own a Current Outer Orbit fixture and do you like it, does it work fine and how is the craftsmanship.

Thanks in advance...

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased the 250w with 4 T5's. I love it. It is quiet and the ballasts do not get hot at all. I don't like the color of the 10k bulb it comes with but I will change that soon. It is a wide fixture so you will need a wide tank or it is hard to get in and out of the tank. I have a 24" wide tank so i slide the fixture back a couple inches and I can work on the tank.

NapoliNewJersey

Achilles Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like mine as well ... I have the same set up. 250 Outer Orbit Pro MH/T5's

The one think I don't like about it though is that all 4 T5's are on one ballast. I would have liked to turn 2 on and then an our later 2 more then an hour later both MH.

It would be nice to have a sitch to have straight actinic as well. If I wanted to go all actinic I would have to change all 4 bulbs or unscrew the two daylight bulbs.

But if I had to I would buy one again. It's a great fixture.

rackyrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Outer Orbit 150 MH. I like the fixture except for a couple of things: The legs that hold the fixture above the tank are crappy and crack easily. Have had to replace the 2 of the legs already. They are fairly thin plastic. I also don't like the amount of clearance between the tank and the fixture. I guess that's why they have the suspension kit (which I can't use right now because I am renting a house). Otherwise, I really like the actinics and moonlights that came with the fixture. The fans on the fixture keep the heat down from the halides also.

OP
OP
cobraz

cobraz

Zoo Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for the reviews... I will order the 48" one today.

NapoliNewJersey

Achilles Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are currently out of stock but Petmountain.com has the lowest price. At least they did when I was looking. If you don't mind waiting of corse. You can also google Coupon Codes for PetMountain.com... I think there is a 10% off floating somewhere on the internet.

I have the Outer Orbit 150 MH. I like the fixture except for a couple of things: The legs that hold the fixture above the tank are crappy and crack easily. Have had to replace the 2 of the legs already. They are fairly thin plastic. I also don't like the amount of clearance between the tank and the fixture. I guess that's why they have the suspension kit (which I can't use right now because I am renting a house). Otherwise, I really like the actinics and moonlights that came with the fixture. The fans on the fixture keep the heat down from the halides also.

I used the hanging kit. But I know exactly what you mean. I had a current Nova and they have the same legs. I think there are aftermarket metal legs you can buy.

rackyrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, didn't know about the metal legs. Will definitely look into those.
Thanks for the info.

Cobraz,
If you don't mind e-bay, I bought mine from there from a merchant with great feedback and got a great deal (almost saved $200). If you want, I can see if I still have the name of the seller and post here.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back