Aquarium Controller Cabinet, Product?

AustinReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I build lots of stuff out of foamed or expanded PVC. I always use PVC cement to do it. Make sure you are using medium or heavy duty pvc cement and not all purpose cement. If you are comfortable, you can also use acetone. But this is volatile and has heavy fumes so only use of you are experienced and comfortable. I don’t like the super glue approach as much because it won’t actually be a solvent weld. But it’s super glue and for something under low stress would likely be fine. YMMV but this is my experience.
I saw in an earlier post a pic of a separate cabinet for these? Any update on timeline on those?

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my black cabinet. I noticed the design is slightly different than the white version. Specifically, there is less material used for the back (see attached). I assume for cost savings, but probably makes the cabinet less rigid.

Overall, I am very happy with the product. However, I need more power brick shelves. Is it possible to purchase extra shelves? What type of glue is used to mount the shelves? Honestly, I'm going to need 4-6 shelves per side of the cabinet portion.

Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 12.19.47.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In the pic, black one appears to be upside down
Marine depot has shelves (unsure of size) and at least by me- Home Depot sells black and will cut it for you

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my black cabinet. I noticed the design is slightly different than the white version. Specifically, there is less material used for the back (see attached). I assume for cost savings, but probably makes the cabinet less rigid.

Overall, I am very happy with the product. However, I need more power brick shelves. Is it possible to purchase extra shelves? What type of glue is used to mount the shelves? Honestly, I'm going to need 4-6 shelves per side of the cabinet portion.

Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 12.19.47.png

Actually, The black and white now have 1/2" thick sides and the cost of making them has gone up not down.

The plate in the back helped support the 1/4" walls but in the end, I wanted something better. Also listening to feedback people wanted a thicker material to mount too.

Another complaint was the magnets were a little weak so I switched them out with 1" rare earth magnets to give it the grip that I envisioned.

The blacks and white cabinets are now in the 2.0 stage with all of the suggestions added.

Additional shelves accessories will be added :) its a great idea, I will ship them out with the next batch I am producing right now.

I am happy you like the cabinet, Also thank you for the feedback.

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, The black and white now have 1/2" thick sides and the cost of making them has gone up not down.

The plate in the back helped support the 1/4" walls but in the end, I wanted something better. Also listening to feedback people wanted a thicker material to mount too.

Another complaint was the magnets were a little weak so I switched them out with 1" rare earth magnets to give it the grip that I envisioned.

The blacks and white cabinets are now in the 2.0 stage with all of the suggestions added.

Additional shelves accessories will be added :) its a great idea, I will ship them out with the next batch I am producing right now.

I am happy you like the cabinet, Also thank you for the feedback.

Thanks for the reply! I'm glad you are continuing to improve the cabinet, as I would not have been happy with 1/4" walls... I'm only one person though.

I have a few other recommendations that you may want to consider. The four threaded posts that help align the face to the cabinet should not be threaded. They seem to slightly stick when removing or installing the face. I'm also going to 3D print some gussets to improve overall rigidity.

Do you have any pictures of the additional shelves?

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! I'm glad you are continuing to improve the cabinet, as I would not have been happy with 1/4" walls... I'm only one person though.

I have a few other recommendations that you may want to consider. The four threaded posts that help align the face to the cabinet should not be threaded. They seem to slightly stick when removing or installing the face. I'm also going to 3D print some gussets to improve overall rigidity.

Do you have any pictures of the additional shelves?

No pictures as I have yet to make them. I will though for the next shipment so you can expand the usability of the cabinet.

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pictures as I have yet to make them. I will though for the next shipment so you can expand the usability of the cabinet.

Maybe a description of how the shelf mounts? I’m considering removing some of the power brick mounts to install 3D printed ones, and I’d hate to do that if it messed up the new shelf.

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any updates on the shelves... next shipment date, description, etc?

I’ve got the face plate ready to go, just trying to figure out where I’m going to put all the power bricks.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve got the face plate ready to go, just trying to figure out where I’m going to put all the power bricks.

We are making the order now, As for a date I hope to have it done in the next week or two.

The additional power brick shelf would connect onto the existing shelves. I am still trying to work it all out so there are the least amount of conflicts with equipment.

I hope to have V1 of this done this week but we will see.

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I hope to have more accessories for the full line soon.

The next batch will be going out in 1 or 2 weeks.

Can’t wait to see the shelves! I have 18 power bricks that I’m trying to hide behind this, on my 900 3XL. Inside, I have two EB832 mounted to the top.

99A85DB5-FE5D-494D-8AB4-93F913A64119.jpeg

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t wait to see the shelves! I have 18 power bricks that I’m trying to hide behind this, on my 900 3XL. Inside, I have two EB832 mounted to the top.

99A85DB5-FE5D-494D-8AB4-93F913A64119.jpeg

That looks awesome!

I hope to have a prototype done this week and if it all checks out I will ship it down to SWA.com to list asap.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some updates I have 3 options.
1. simple shelf fits the 2 spots that are existing.
thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail (3).jpg

2. Add almost anywhere shelf
thumbnail (4).jpg

thumbnail (5).jpg

thumbnail (7).jpg

3. Add almost anywhere shelf with cable tie.
thumbnail (8).jpg

thumbnail (9).jpg

thumbnail (10).jpg
thumbnail (6).jpg thumbnail (11).jpg

Back