Aquarium Engineering-ACR Calcium Reactor

special-ops-s2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem fixed after chatting with Bill - my CO2 wasn’t pumping high enough, so no bubbles, so no Alk coming out. Fixed that and dialed it back to 1/200 and it’s doing an amazing job already keeping my Alk in range with the help of my Alkatronic monitoring it and my Apex managing the input pump on/off to the ACR if Alk goes too high. Loving the setup so far!!

What pump are you using to feed the ACR? Or is it fed off your return?

Ewilson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you have done this already but if it is chopping bubbles really bad did you try opening highest point until water comes out. Basically purging all air out. May take a couple trys and also I would try tilting the unit on its side a couple times. Should help with the noise. I would really love to know if it got quieter for you because I'm about to pull the trigger but noisy will be a deal breaker for me. TIA
its supposed to have bubbles in the reactor, its the CO2 recirculating

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its supposed to have bubbles in the reactor, its the CO2 recirculating
I know I ran the old vertex rx6 duo for years which did the same. But when you have the gas plus trapped air it can be 10x worse. That is why I was asking. The noise should be pretty consistent and not loud spikes of trapped air hitting the impeller.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me a week or so of receiving mine to get it working. First I didn't know about the purge process that is required. Once I read through a bunch of posts here and on the FB group I found that. Once I did that, it still wasn't working. Turned out my recirc pump wasn't working. I took it apart, cleaned, and greased the ceramics with molycote I was good to go. It's been solid, I've only adjusted the dose twice now. I bought a back up pump just in case...

It's running great now. I think if they included thorough set up and maintenance/troubleshooting documentation with the unit, this thing would be perfect from day one and AE would make a killing.

Dave

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. Anyway you could compare the sound of it to something? Or record a video and hold phone right next to the ACR? My tank is completely silent right now and ai want to keep it that way. Thanks for your help. If I sell my dual stage regulator, cal rx, and kamoer this seems like a no brainer.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So mine is in a fish room. I can’t hear the pump over the x5 overflows, x3 dos, ro booster pump, skimmer wiper, and dehumidifier. When I get close I only hear a low hum and the sound of it chopping the CO2 bubbles. It’s very low sound levels that probably wouldn’t be heard outside of a stand cabinet.

What I can hear is the CO2 going in. It has a loud whine every time, if only for a couple seconds. If this was in my living space, I’d have a hard time with it.

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Might have to pass on this for a while especially with lead time.

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What pump are you using to feed the ACR? Or is it fed off your return?
Originally had it on a dedicated pump. That was causing lots of issues - I suspect pressure wasn’t high enough and in one instance the pump turned off and caused a back feed of a large amount of effluent! Switched to tee it off the return and it’s been running flawlessly since for 2 months.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 years of trying different media and I would agree that TLF media is in a league of it's own.

Largely unobtanium at the moment though .....

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asking for a non forum reefing buddy of mine ....

For recent recipients of the ACR, has Bill produced a set of instructions yet?

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of. There is a set up video and purge instructions. Here is both.

DD2A3052-FFED-42E3-A391-C922A4311C84.png

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purged the unit a few times, it has gotten better but is not quiet. I have been thinking about moving it to a cabinet I have at the end of my tank but have yet to do so. My wife and daughter say they do not even hear it anymore. It's become part of the room.

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's reassuring thanks marinelife.
If it was me purging that thing I would purge it for 24 hours not a half hour but I have never seen the unit in person and bill is a smart guy. Air gets trapped everywhere in calcium reactors though.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I do not run the ACR, preferring one I made myself, I do an auto purge of the entire reactor every night.

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha thanks. I wonder if you could get away with a slightly smaller circ pump to quiet it down some.

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the float switch and recirc line can not be changed.
The PH is about 6.4 but I have not tested mine, this is from what others have said

Back