Aquarium Engineering-ACR Calcium Reactor

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just off the phone with Bill. There goes my PayPal balance... poof!

8" stacked with backup CO2 bottle automatic switch.

@vetteguy53081 can't rub my face in it with his new CaRx anymore. Ahhhhh. What relief.
LOL LOL - no regrets once running. You WILL see the difference

ReeferTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a brief phone call with Bill yesterday, I also pulled the trigger on an 8 inch ACR. Curious as to how many peeps pair this reactor up with a dkh monitoring device? I get the benefit of monitoring alk while getting the unit dialed in. But once it's dialed, is there a need to test dkh multiple times on the daily with alk monitor? Original plan was to get alkatronic, but if it doesn't add great value then perhaps i can save some money there.. side note. Does anyone know what tank size the 8 inch ACR is rated for? Can't find that information anywhere.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you don't augment with alk dosing, the ability to continuously monitor alkalinity is helpful IMO. Dialing in a CaRx is a balance, and that balance will shift over time as tank consumption changes and media gets depleted.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a brief phone call with Bill yesterday, I also pulled the trigger on an 8 inch ACR. Curious as to how many peeps pair this reactor up with a dkh monitoring device? I get the benefit of monitoring alk while getting the unit dialed in. But once it's dialed, is there a need to test dkh multiple times on the daily with alk monitor? Original plan was to get alkatronic, but if it doesn't add great value then perhaps i can save some money there.. side note. Does anyone know what tank size the 8 inch ACR is rated for? Can't find that information anywhere.
I have a Trident but it's still in the box I will start this weekend I think. I have not received my ACR yet. Hopefully it will come soon. I may have the Trident shut down my ACR but I don't think I will let it control it.

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I use an Alkatronic with it and find it valuable. The CaRx doses consistently 24/7 and my Alk consumption is way higher during the day vs night, which was leading to big Alk swings. So I use the Alkatronic Bluetooth outlet on the carx controller to turn it off when it starts to spike each day, usually around 8-9pm. I could probably accomplish the same by putting the carx on a timer but this let’s it be measurement based which I prefer.

ethridge78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine just need to hook it up

F607AC5B-AE00-418C-87C1-DFCFA72BDD77.jpeg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My unit it due here tomorrow. My first CaRx so pretty excited about it.

About time I figure out where this is going to go. If anyone has any suggestions / limitations I will gladly listen. What does or does not matter here:
a) effluent dumps into refugium? return section?
b) maximum safe run distance for the CO2 lines? Effluent lines?
c) working access to the reactor body (post setup)?
d) Reactor height position relative to sump level?

In exchange for this information, I will gladly offer you 2 dozen empty ESV buckets p/u only. :)

ethridge78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A. I drip it before refugium B. It doesn’t matter C. Just enough roof to work on it or change media D. Nope your good just need some kind of check valve on inflow in case lose power drains in tank

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

About time I figure out where this is going to go. If anyone has any suggestions / limitations I will gladly listen. What does or does not matter here:

In exchange for this information, I will gladly offer you 2 dozen empty ESV buckets p/u only. :)
@Randy Holmes-Farley

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Other tips:

1) Leak test it before putting in final location. The Sicce pump has been prone to leaking for me as the piece that seals it up on too tends to lift a bit and cause a small leak. I had to silicone it to get it to stop. And make sure the valve box has no leaks, I had to open mine up and silicone a few places there too.
2) use a few valves to eliminate the need to swap RO tubes during the purge process. It will be a process you need to run periodically so set it up so that it’s easy to do.
3) get the CO2 flow right before connecting it to the valve box. Turn it on, adjust so it’s I the 1-2 range, submerge end in water and make sure bubbles are flowing. Get the reactor and controller purged and running, then connect the confirmed working CO2 line to the input of the valve box

Let us know if any questions

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other tips:

1) Leak test it before putting in final location. The Sicce pump has been prone to leaking for me as the piece that seals it up on too tends to lift a bit and cause a small leak. I had to silicone it to get it to stop. And make sure the valve box has no leaks, I had to open mine up and silicone a few places there too.
2) use a few valves to eliminate the need to swap RO tubes during the purge process. It will be a process you need to run periodically so set it up so that it’s easy to do.
3) get the CO2 flow right before connecting it to the valve box. Turn it on, adjust so it’s I the 1-2 range, submerge end in water and make sure bubbles are flowing. Get the reactor and controller purged and running, then connect the confirmed working CO2 line to the input of the valve box

Let us know if any questions

Hey thank you for this. Exactly the kind of input I was looking for. If it's not a big deal, could you snap a pic of the valve install you did? And rather coincidentally, UPS just dropped it on the porch. Wow, big box.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Rinse media in a strainer Prior to packing unit, assure positive flow from pump and agitate before running reactor pump to assure all bubbles are removed. How are you running/connecting PH probe? I try to keep unit ph at 6.6

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have close diameter and bought an entire Box of reborn. It took 6 quarts of rock and a pint of remag

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back