Aquarium Fans

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aquarium fan that I've been running for 10 hours a day. I'm losing way too much water from evaporation. Does anyone use a fan schedule? What do you guys use? 30 on/30 off?

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using fans for? Lighting temp control or just temp control in general?

Normally you would let the only run when your temp climbs up and closes when your desired temp is reached.

russell13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was hooked up to my apex. I had one that would vent the sump(cheap Wallmart fan with a clip) and another blowing across the top of the tank(cheap eBay aquarium fan). Set them to a temp and it worked great. Just another reason to use a controller, great investment worth its weight in gold

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have a cheap temp controller from amazon running mine in my canopy. 3 Fans and variable speed temp controller I think was $50 shipped off amazon

OP
OP
SinkyShippy

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using fans for? Lighting temp control or just temp control in general?

Normally you would let the only run when your temp climbs up and closes when your desired temp is reached.
My light bakes my tank

OP
OP
SinkyShippy

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was hooked up to my apex. I had one that would vent the sump(cheap Wallmart fan with a clip) and another blowing across the top of the tank(cheap eBay aquarium fan). Set them to a temp and it worked great. Just another reason to use a controller, great investment worth its weight in gold
I don't have a temperature controlled fan

OP
OP
SinkyShippy

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also run the fan on a timer if there are times of the day that the tank gets hot. This would be a less reliable but more inexpensive solution
I have a timer. I posted to try and figure out how to time it. I just set it tp 30 on/ 30 off but I don't know if this will work.

russell13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a timer. I posted to try and figure out how to time it. I just set it tp 30 on/ 30 off but I don't know if this will work.
I would try to figure out when the tank reaches it highest temps and have it turn on then. Maybe in the middle of the day or when the lights are on. Have it off in the middle of the night and early in the morning. This would help to keep your temp more stable and save a lot of evaporation

OP
OP
SinkyShippy

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to figure out when the tank reaches it highest temps and have it turn on then. Maybe in the middle of the day or when the lights are on. Have it off in the middle of the night and early in the morning. This would help to keep your temp more stable and save a lot of evaporation
I had it turn on at 9am and turn off at 7pm but it was evaporating too much. Now I have it turning on at 11:00am and turning on and off every 30 minutes until 6:30.

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sensor doesn’t go in the water. It’s used for air temp in a canopy. Mine has been mounted in the top of my canopy for 4 years and still looks new.

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the size of your fan it could be causing your heater to come on more than necessary too cause they'll be "fighting" each other. I once forgot and left my 20" box fan on and dropped my tank to 75. The heaters were on but actual failed to keep up.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back