Aquarium Flow: High Flow versus Random Flow

Is optimal (good) water flow "high flow" or is it more "random flow?"

• Random Flow Is Better!

Votes: 131 68.6%
  • High Flow is Better!

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • There is more to it than that! (please comment in thread)

Votes: 33 17.3%

• Total voters

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to create a drift of 1m/s , 3.6 km/h?
Wave movement is 3 to 4 sec up and +- 3sec back. At the reef crest one moves smootly up and down, from left to right and back , At a dept of 3m to 5m?

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am never sure about the "corals do not like current from one direction" statement. Like someone said earlier ,if you dive on a reef the current will take you and you dont really need to swim, but , if you think about it , that current will flow in one direction for 5 hours then slow to nothing, and flow the opposite way for five hours as the tides change,. So,in a way , corals do get water flow from one direction , but only for a few hours till it reverses
A guy I know from my club has a very well-established SPS tank for years and runs 2 -250 gyres one on each side. One set for 11 min in one direction and then the other in the opposite direction for 11 minutes and found that this works best for his tank and his SPS after trying all the other modes.

U

User1

View Badges
A guy I know from my club has a very well-established SPS tank for years and runs 2 -250 gyres one on each side. One set for 11 min in one direction and then the other in the opposite direction for 11 minutes and found that this works best for his tank and his SPS after trying all the other modes.

Are they using the default controller? Just wondering how they are getting such long pulses if they are using it with that level of granularity.

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they using the default controller? Just wondering how they are getting such long pulses if they are using it with that level of granularity.
I believe he is using it through the Apex on for 11 minutes or for 11 minutes and then the other one on for 11 minutes and then off for 11 minutes

U

User1

View Badges
I believe he is using it through the Apex on for 11 minutes or for 11 minutes and then the other one on for 11 minutes and then off for 11 minutes

That would make sense. I was looking at the controller and didn't see how to get it down to that range. Thanks!

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what size that tank is but I like your rock and coral placement. While at first glance it would appear to be a pile of rubble but that is really misleading. Thanks for that picture - I like it.

Thanks for the note on his scape. Would you mind discussing this more? All my unenlightened eyes can see is what looks like a pile of rocks ........ :(

U

User1

View Badges
Thanks for the note on his scape. Would you mind discussing this more? All my unenlightened eyes can see is what looks like a pile of rocks ........ :(

It isn't mine - it is @vetteguy53081 he mentioned that he is trying to replicate an ocean floor more than aquascape in general. He can comment more - hopefully I got that right. It was on the previous page anyway. My initial thought was also a pile of rocks. But when you look at it in more detail, at least which is allowed via the one image, I see what he is doing. I think what caught my eye was that similar to what I will see while scuba diving. I get the walls, I get the minimal, then I see this. I did a mix but won't know until it fills in and matures. If not I'll be doing something similar. I'm trying to get the layered effect and depth on the outer zone / edges of my tank then in the middle have more of a open water effect.

We'll see. Anyway - I was just commentating that I liked it on second glance :D

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It isn't mine - it is @vetteguy53081 he mentioned that he is trying to replicate an ocean floor more than aquascape in general. He can comment more - hopefully I got that right. It was on the previous page anyway. My initial thought was also a pile of rocks. But when you look at it in more detail, at least which is allowed via the one image, I see what he is doing. I think what caught my eye was that similar to what I will see while scuba diving. I get the walls, I get the minimal, then I see this. I did a mix but won't know until it fills in and matures. If not I'll be doing something similar. I'm trying to get the layered effect and depth on the outer zone / edges of my tank then in the middle have more of a open water effect.

We'll see. Anyway - I was just commentating that I liked it on second glance :D

In going to the Caribbean annually and diving, youre precise and correct on the ocean floor. One could stare at the floor of a well established reef for hours. I wanted that opportunity at home. As for scaping a tank, I also have three other tanks and this is my 93 cube done a little more in aquascape

93 cube11.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
Yep - that is how I remember diving. Then going back through dive videos or photos that others took and seeing something you never did while diving. A friend of mine once was taking photos on a drift dive. He made a photo book. I was looking through it at a cleaner shrimp in a sponge and to the left there was a moray eel looking right at the camera. Never saw it there nor did he. Yet looking back at the picture there it was :) The image above helps create those areas that fish and other creatures can hide or use as refuge. I really like the lay out above. Great job. You have some good skills there!

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think random and lower is better. I've turned down the power on my mp40's lately.
I think the most important thing is to make sure you have flow in every area of your tank, no dead spots. But it doesn't need to look like a wind storm.
I've got some shrooms on the sand bed that don't like high flow so I've been turning the power down and all is well.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not speaking for SPS but my corals have been thriving with low flow.

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have high alternating flow run through a Tunze 7096 controller on my 90 gallon. On each side of the tank I have a Tunze stream 3. In addition, on the left I have a Tunze 6055 and on the right a 6095. I run each side for 6 hours and 13 mins (approx tidal cycle). During that cycle, each pump is on an 8-second pulse alternating from 30% to 100%. I have a storm cycle programmed to occur every 6 hours too to kick up detritus. All the SPS seem very happy. The flow is very broad. My trachyphyllia is happy in a spot that receives lower flow.

trvsty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's mostly random flow, even in my smallest tank. I've noticed after a few weeks of replacing my basic powerheads with ones that could randomize the flow the tank seemed much healthier and the corals were double the size when extended.

MaugieDawgieCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely try and achieve random waterflow at all times. I think it’s very important for corals to get pushed around by the water in every direction rather than just one or two sides of the coral.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sort of an old thread, but I have a question.

I have a mixed tank (LPS, SPS, and softies) and I have had it on high steady flow ever since the tank has been setup.

Should I switch over to high random flow? Or just keep it on high steady flow?

Blknovass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like random my self and my corals don’t complain again except for mushrooms t
Sort of an old thread, but I have a question.

I have a mixed tank (LPS, SPS, and softies) and I have had it on high steady flow ever since the tank has been setup.

Should I switch over to high random flow? Or just keep it on high steady flow?
hey seem to turn up in the weirdest places in the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ive had equal success with both

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back