Aquarium hangs over stand

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I hope this is not a big deal and stand is going to work as it took me a very long time to build. I finally finished stand and had 3 guys help me put the aquarium on top of stand. I noticed right away that the back glass hands over the end of the stand. here are some pics. let me know if this is ok or what I can do to fix it?

IMG_3406.JPG
IMG_3406.JPG
IMG_3407.JPG

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not good, as that panel has no support from below. Risky. I would not fill that with water in my home.

This. Tanks overhanging stands are ticking time bombs.

How large of a tank are we talking? You can probably get away with adding a sheet or two of quality plywood cut to the actual size of the tank, then glue and screw a piece of 2x2 or what-have-you beneath the plywood overhang to help carry the weight along the load bearing parallel beam.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make the top larger and then use wedges to the wood in the back.
I wrapped the whole tank in a vinyl.. for me to take the tank off and remove the top part I have to take sides and front off to replace the botton. then I would need more wrap as I have run out. any other solutions

MapleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue on my recent build. I had to add trim work to the edge of the top so that the tank was fully supported. I wouldn’t run it like that. IMHO

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what if I can get a router and trim the front piece? all I need is less then 1/2 inch.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue on my recent build. I had to add trim work to the edge of the top so that the tank was fully supported. I wouldn’t run it like that. Just my opinon
my issues is on the back. the bottom glass is good its the back glass that over hangs. well half of the back glass. What if I like a inch piece of work on the back to extend the back will it help? almost like a trim..

MapleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my issues is on the back. the bottom glass is good its the back glass that over hangs. well half of the back glass. What if I like a inch piece of work on the back to extend the back will it help? almost like a trim..
Yep that works, but u have to biscuit joint it to the ply or run screws. Basically a just glueing it won’t give u the strength u need. The key is to evenly distribute the entire tank load onto the top surface.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tank viewable from the rear? If not, just add a piece of 1x to the back of the stand.
NO tank is against a wall so nobody will see it. add a piece of 1X? what is 1X ? please explain

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1x is dimensional lumber (1x4, 2x4, etc). So a piece of 1x4 would solve your issue.
I was thinking get a 1 by 4 inch and run it across the back. I can support it with glue and as many screws as needed like 6 to be on the safe side.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks.. it would be a nightmare to take this thing apart!!!

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking get a 1 by 4 inch and run it across the back. I can support it with glue and as many screws as needed like 6 to be on the safe side.

I would like triple that amount of screws. Screws are cheap. And you don't want any real load on fasteners so get as many in there as you can.

Kinettik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a good wood epoxy or liquid nails, then use 2.5" screws (coarse thread) spaced every 4-6", double row.

You will have no issues

Monti34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes to move forward we have to back up I️ would back way up and fix the underlying issue which is the stand. Are you ganna be ok with that being like that for years is the question?

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes to move forward we have to back up I️ would back way up and fix the underlying issue which is the stand. Are you ganna be ok with that being like that for years is the question?
I get what you saying quick answer is yes once I fix the issue by adding support. Just because the bottom glass is secure and it's only 1/2 of the back glass. I am adding the support to the back and adding the pad the make sure the glass is snug. I might also add vertical support depends on how I feel about the first support. I want to be able to sleep at night and not worry.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that I have a friend with a Redsea 350 and the tank's front glass overhands wo when you close the cabinet doors it is flush but it is not supporting the front glass.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back