Aquarium larger than stand, doable?

darkknight26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I am exploring an idea at the moment. I currently have an evolution aqua 900s which is empty. Thrilled to bits with the system but it could be a bit bigger.. now I love the cabinetry and sump, and considering I paid quite a bit for it just a year ago I would like to retain these two along with all the equipment if I could possibly do so.

The current aquariums dimensions are 90cm (l) x 50cm (w) x 61cm (h)

I propose to 'upgrade to a 91.44 (l) x 61cm (w) x 61cm (w)

If I was to add some extra supports in the cabinet, uprights in the form of aluminium t slot (3 to be precise. One on both sides and one front centre, add some 18mm ply on top of the stand cut to the exact dimensions of the new aquarium so the base is fully supported, do you think it would be safe to do so?

The biggest overhang would be at the front approximately 11cm or, i could overhang it on both the front and back sides by half that distance so 5.5cm overhang on the front and back.

Thanks in advance

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do it unless you built a metal support for the tank. Ply isn't enough support and will bend. I see cracked glass in the future.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a pretty big overhang, I use 3/4" ply on my tank overhang but its less then 1mm overhang

OP
OP
D

darkknight26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thanks for the replies. Advice provided is in line with what I have read on similar threads. Appreciate the honesty and I will shelve this idea.

Dale Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought add some t slot 80/20 aluminum to the top laying on the stand then add the plywood on the top split the difference front to back and add a piece of trim to hide it all

OP
OP
D

darkknight26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought add some t slot 80/20 aluminum to the top laying on the stand then add the plywood on the top split the difference front to back and add a piece of trim to hide it all

That is actually not a bad idea. Since posting this thread, I have realised that my current aquariun, an evolution aqua 900s, red sea reefers and waterbox aquariums to name a few all overhang the aquarium stand by atleast 1/2".. in some cases more to ensure that their cabinets are flush with the edge of the tank. As long as the entire base of the aquarium is supported sufficiently, i can't see a problem. Any further thoughts?

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking along the same lines as Dale. This problem needs to be solved by metal, and then hidden by trim.

Dale Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it is centerover the stand I think it would be fine all the overhang to the front would probably present a tipping concern

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back