Aquarium stand modification help needed

lavtxa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0834.JPG IMG_1159.jpg IMG_1160.JPG door.png Hello all, I have a 150g tank and I would like to replace the current sump. The issue is to be able to achieve it I need to drain the entire tank, lift it up and only then I can take the old sump out and put the new one in. Im wandering if its possible to make a side entrance while the tank is full without compromising the stands structural integrity. The pictures are attached.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drew this on my phone so bare with me. But would you have the room to add some 2x4 beams to increase the integrity and then cut out your door with room to still remove your sump? Something like this.

ypgzbqYl.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a precaution I would suggest adding some 3/4 inch wood to the corners for additional support and you should be good to go.

OP
OP
L

lavtxa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drew this on my phone so bare with me. But would you have the room to add some 2x4 beams to increase the integrity and then cut out your door with room to still remove your sump? Something like this.

ypgzbqYl.jpg
That would not work unfortunately. is there anything else possible to do? I really do not want to drain the entire tank lift it up just to replace a sump

OP
OP
L

lavtxa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a precaution I would suggest adding some 3/4 inch wood to the corners for additional support and you should be good to go.
I might be able to add some wood to the corners but I need to measure again to be sure it will work. Is there no other solution besides adding wood?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I do this....no.

But if I did, I'd suggest something along the lines of what crabs shows above, with the exception that I'd construct my own laminated beams by glueing and screwing 3/4 plywood pieces together....as wide as you could go, and maybe three layers of plywood. Is this overkill....yes...but makes me happier

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be able to add some wood to the corners but I need to measure again to be sure it will work. Is there no other solution besides adding wood?
Not really...if you're going to be taking away wood (cutting out a door) youre going to have to add it elsewhere to compensate

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bracing crabs and I have shown might not necessarily have to be right on the end wall. Dependent on the top board, you might be able to install this brace to the right of the drain pipes. Can't say for sure without knowing how the stand is constructed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lavtxa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said, I wouldn't modify without adding additional support. If you have not already purchased a new sump, could you drain the sump, remove it piece meal, and use a seamless sump modular configuration from Custom Aquarium? I have no experience with these, just providing a different option.
https://www.customaquariums.com/150-190-gallon-complete-seamless-sumpr-package.html
I already have the new sump. The worst case scenario I will drain the tank and replace it properly. I just want to know if there are more easier options

OP
OP
L

lavtxa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bracing crabs and I have shown might not necessarily have to be right on the end wall. Dependent on the top board, you might b err able to install this brace to the right of the drain pipes. Can't say for sure without knowing how the stand is constructed.
would pictures of the stand help? interior pictures

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your picture, I don't see many corals. I'd get a stock tank ( and if you lived close to me, I'd lend you mine), pull the fish out, drain the tank, slide it onto a temporary stand, change sump, replace tank, and refill. Corals and rock should be able to be out of water for an hour or so.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I prefer framed stands. The walls can be taken off without compromising the structural integrity. That's how I had to get my sump in. I took the side wall off and slid it through.
kYzGQw7l.jpg

OP
OP
L

lavtxa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your picture, I don't see many corals. I'd get a stock tank ( and if you lived close to me, I'd lend you mine), pull the fish out, drain the tank, slide it onto a temporary stand, change sump, replace tank, and refill. Corals and rock should be able to be out of water for an hour or so.
well the main stand picture is old. I do have corals. I have about 4 different zoas, torches, few candy corals. mushrooms and orange florida ricordea.not a lot but I do have few corals in there. And sand would be another issue, the tank is heavy on its own, now adding the sand to that would make it more challenging. hence why im trying to see what are my other options

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bracing crabs and I have shown might not necessarily have to be right on the end wall. Dependent on the top board, you might be able to install this brace to the right of the drain pipes. Can't say for sure without knowing how the stand is constructed.
It is the back corner I am more concerned about with the open back. The cabinet is a wood cabinet not particle board.

I also like @crabs_mcjones recommendation. all that is needed is 3/4 t x 1.5 W x ?L

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yet another thought.....this would be a temporary support, along the lines of how they jack a house.

Take the far left door off. Build a supporting structure similar to what crabs shows above, but now with the verticals outside the stand. Make sure the horizontal structure is right up against the "roof" of the stand. Make sure you have bracing to keep the frame from racking. Now pull off the side panel, replace the sump, and re-install side panel.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go for one of the above plans, I'd still drop as much water out of the DT as you can.....lighten the load. Quickly do the sump change, restore the stand, and fill it back up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.8%
Back