Aquascape opinion and feedback

KillaB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am starting to plan an aquascape for a 112 gallon red sea 525 XL tank. This is my first reek tank.
I am planning to get a mixed tank with SPS at the top and some LPS at the bottom.
Those are the things I tried to think about:
I tried to consider flow by keeping enough space between glass and rocks all around and I also kept gaps between rocks to let flow through.
The tank being 22" tall, I didn't go higher than 12" to let room for SPS to grow.
I wanted to have as much habitat for fish as I could.
There is a total of 125 lbs of rocks and I plan to epoxy them together with some foundation marco flat rocks.
I appreciate your feedback! Thanks in advance. IMG_3947.jpg IMG_3948.jpg IMG_3949.jpg IMG_3950.jpg IMG_3951.jpg
IMG_3937.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3941.MOV
    15.3 MB
  • IMG_3942.MOV
    18.3 MB

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks really good, I have a Reefer350 and I left a lot of space at the top for SPS to grow out but now I'm looking into getting some branching rock to give them a boost into the higher light. Having that empty space is nice as the fish need open swimming space but it will take a while for it to fill in.

OP
OP
KillaB

KillaB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks really good, I have a Reefer350 and I left a lot of space at the top for SPS to grow out but now I'm looking into getting some branching rock to give them a boost into the higher light. Having that empty space is nice as the fish need open swimming space but it will take a while for it to fill in.
Thank you! I am trying to prepare myself and be patient, but I hear you, maybe I don't realize yet what it takes to grow 15 cm of SPS. I try to remember the BRStv videos that says "its not where you are today but where you are going" :)

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am starting to plan an aquascape for a 112 gallon red sea 525 XL tank. This is my first reek tank.
I am planning to get a mixed tank with SPS at the top and some LPS at the bottom.
I tried to consider flow by keeping enough space between glass and rocks all around and I also kept gaps between rocks to let flow through.
The tank being 22" tall, I didn't go higher than 12" to let room for SPS to grow.
There is a total of 125 lbs of rocks and I plan to epoxy them together with some foundation marco flat rocks.
I appreciate your feedback! Thanks in advance. IMG_3947.jpg IMG_3948.jpg IMG_3949.jpg IMG_3950.jpg IMG_3951.jpg
IMG_3937.jpg

Am I correct in assuming that the cardboard is representative of the tank footprint? Looks like you are getting REALLY close to the glass in some places.

Do you have the tank now? Did you take your measurements from the actual inside of the tank or did you make your cutout from the posted outside dimensions?

Not all algae is created equal. Some of the stuff you really need to work at to clean off. A magnet scraper isn't going to get it done all the time. If you can get your hand, (and this is important) WITH a scraper at an angle where the scraper actually works, you are golden.

Otherwise, I say that scape looks great.

Good luck

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it my only critique would be of personal preference. I like aquascapes with varying height seems to give it dimension. But again that is more personal preference.

OP
OP
KillaB

KillaB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I correct in assuming that the cardboard is representative of the tank footprint? Looks like you are getting REALLY close to the glass in some places.

Do you have the tank now? Did you take your measurements from the actual inside of the tank or did you make your cutout from the posted outside dimensions?

Not all algae is created equal. Some of the stuff you really need to work at to clean off. A magnet scraper isn't going to get it done all the time. If you can get your hand, (and this is important) WITH a scraper at an angle where the scraper actually works, you are golden.

Otherwise, I say that scape looks great.

Good luck
The cardboard is indeed representing the tank but in length only, the back of the cardboard and the front of the table represents the depth. I do not have the tank yet, but I just realized that the dimensions of the 525XL are the outside dimensions and your point about being able to put your hand with an angle to access and clean is an eye opener...
Thank you, I guess I will go and change few things.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks amazing fair play . I got 30kg of dry macro rock fancy doing my scape

OP
OP
KillaB

KillaB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it my only critique would be of personal preference. I like aquascapes with varying height seems to give it dimension. But again that is more personal preference.
Thank you, my idea was to feel the top with SPS over time, and to not block the flow from side to side. I agree with you though and I also prefer varying height as initial look. Maybe I could add a rock on top the right side at a third of the tank length to keep the rule of thirds on.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
IMG_3937.jpg
I like the way it looks, gives fish lots of room to hide and has a unique shape to it!

OP
OP
KillaB

KillaB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the way it looks, gives fish lots of room to hide and has a unique shape to it!
Thank you for your feedback, my first post on Reef2reef was my first attempt at aquascaping and one of the feedback I received was not enough places for fish to hide and sleep, I tried to fix that in this new one. I have been watching the BRStv video about HNSA and I hope this one works.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back