Aquascaping rears its ugly head again...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tom@HaslettMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my 75 gallon reef. The pic is kinda old so things have changed a bit. While it doesn't have much rock there are too many frags cluttering the sand bed, in my opinion.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone goes bonkers over Steve's aquascaping, and rightfully so, but a lot of what is possible depends on the size of the tank. When you have 8'x8' to work with, negative space is a bit more of an option than in a 75g bowfront...

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone goes bonkers over Steve's aquascaping, and rightfully so, but a lot of what is possible depends on the size of the tank. When you have 8'x8' to work with, negative space is a bit more of an option than in a 75g bowfront...

Honestly, I beg to differ...I mean, I understand what yore getting at, but I don't think size is as much of a limiting factor as you think. Design principles can apply even to a nano-sized aquarium; see the many examples from the Aquatic Gardener's Association or ADA Aquascaping contests...plenty of nanos in both that follow design principles like the "Golden Ratio" or the use of negative space...Really, don't think for a minute that great negative space cannot be achieved even with a small system.

-Scott

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with that statement, i suppose, my caveat would be that it takes a kind of extreme restraint to create negative space in a smaller tank since you have to reduce your critter count to gain the effect. The natural desire is to have a lot of sweet corals, but the principles that make minimalist aquascapes so attractive also require that we have less area to place animals with room to grow.

Its hard being artistic and double hard being artistic and responsible!

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my 40 breeder, I didn't want to go crazy with a ton of rock since space is limited. I wanted to keep it open but have room for coral placement. I still have some sorting to do to clean things up a bit but this is it so far.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with that statement, i suppose, my caveat would be that it takes a kind of extreme restraint to create negative space in a smaller tank since you have to reduce your critter count to gain the effect. The natural desire is to have a lot of sweet corals, but the principles that make minimalist aquascapes so attractive also require that we have less area to place animals with room to grow.

Its hard being artistic and double hard being artistic and responsible!

AGREED!

Scott

danangelo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20140302_101822_zps68928727.jpg

heres mine what do u think..

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I just built mine during Christmas. I have not yet purchased any corals to add. The tank has been running for 2 1/2 months with just a few fish. And what corals you see were already stuck to my rock. The FTS is from 2months ago. Really trying to be patient before I start filling this in. Trying to wait for the rocks to develop more and then start adding. Hopefully I will be starting next month. I think there is tons of potential with this scape. What do you think?
image.jpg

Left island from the side

image.jpg

Right island from the side

image.jpg

FTS

Tank is 60x30x24

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok Scott hit me up but carefull I'm from NY and a customer lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 472

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay Unique,

I have been guilty of the rock wall but have been removing rock slowly to reduce any detritus kick-up, etc., throughout the past months.

Any suggestions? Only problem is I am afraid to kick up too much detritus from the rocks which may mess with the corals which are doing awesome.

Thx.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay Unique,

I have been guilty of the rock wall but have been removing rock slowly to reduce any detritus kick-up, etc., throughout the past months.

Any suggestions? Only problem is I am afraid to kick up too much detritus from the rocks which may mess with the corals which are doing awesome.

Thx.

That's looking pretty nice! I love reformed "rock walls!"

-Scott

Back