Aquascaping rears its ugly head again...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you know, before I became known for being an owner of Unique Corals, I was better known for being an armchair aquascaping critic! I would travel all over the country talking about aquascaping to anyone who would listen: Clubs, events, MACNA, etc. I gave a talk called "Aquascaping for the aesthetically challenged" (hey, that was ME!), about the ins and outs of reef aquarium aquascapong. It proved wildly popular, and was pretty sweet...I spend a lot of time telling people to "tear down the wall" and try different rock work in their reefs..Hmm, I haven't really touched on aquascaping much of late, have I? Well, a conversation with a customer the other day about his new reef concept triggered me to think back on the ideas I have in my head for reef systems, and the best way to make use of rock work.

Barton 021.jpg

"What's 'negative space', Fellman?"

One of those concepts is the use of so-called "negative space" in our designs.

If you hear my talks on aquascaping, you hear me blabber on and on about the virtues of great rockwork, avoiding the uninspired rock wall configurations, the Golden Ratio, etc. Yet for all my talk about rockwork, I seem to have neglected discussing what I feel is the need for what is known as “negative space” in an aquascape.

What exactly is “negative space”? Simply put, it’s the part of your aquascape that doesn’t have rock in it! In other words, open sand areas, devoid of rock. Gasp! “Where will I place my “Red Planet Acro” or my “Miami Hurricane”? Relax, coral freak! These areas perform a multitude of functions, both practical and aesthetic, which will increase the visual impact of your corals in ways that you’ve never even thought of before. Negative space helps “break up” long spans of rockwork, adding visual interest. Creating a focal point in an aquascape is much easier when there is an open area to break up the visual “monotony”.

p_016_l.jpg

Steve Weast's reef utilized negative space like no other tank...

On a practical level, negative space helps break up territories for fishes, as in the example of a tank aquascaped with multiple rock “bommies”. Each “bommie” can be a territory for fishes and for that matter, corals. If you are inclined to mix aggressive coral species, it gives them a fighting chance if they are isolated on their own individual rock ” bommie”. I have been, and always will be- a fan of multiple small aggregations of rock, scattered throughout the tank. It looks interesting and is a very maintenance-friendly configuration. The breaking up of “territory” is not just useful for keeping aggressive specimens apart, it can function as a sort of “aesthetic boundary”, allowing you to try different techniques, colors, or coral morphologies on different rock structures.

With proper utilization of negative space, you also get the opportunity to move a lot of water! The “gyre flow” that you hear me hint about works exceedingly well in this type of aquascaping configuration. A deep (ie; deep front-to-back) tank really comes alive with negative space, and even a small aquarium can look bigger when every square centimeter is not crammed with rock! Creating channels and open areas makes maintenance very easy. Since you won’t have huge walls of rock to contend with, access to many areas of your tank should be quite simple.

UC2andhalfinch-bali-mari-multicuata-68.jpg

Give 'em some room!

Imagine being able to get a siphon hose into the aquarium without knocking over corals! You’d actually be able to work in the tank without fear of destruction! For that matter, why not utilize the sand for corals too?

In the end, it’s all about what moves you, but if you want to try something just a bit different, leave some open space in your rockwork and see what it can do for your aquascape. I think that you-and your fishes and corals- will enjoy the open space.

If you want to truly push the aesthetic envelope, try an aquascape with entirely negative space…no rock at all…just corals, similar to Leonardo’s famous and beautiful “Formosa Forest”, which inspired hobbyists with it’s completely different take on aquascaping. Although with corals filling the void, I guess you couldn’t say “entirely” white space! Nonetheless, it would be a completely different look!

Formosa-Forest-side.jpg

Leonardo's "Formosa Forest" made liberal use of "negative space!"

By carefully utilizing negative space in your aquascape, you will also create forced perspective, which makes the aquarium seem much larger and/or deeper than it really is. In this era of smaller “nano” aquariums, it’s a valuable technique that can make the difference between mundane and spectacular, so don’t be afraid to think negative in your aquascaping process.

Please show me some of your talented use of this concept in YOUR reef designs! Everyone loves aquascaping shots!

Until next time,

Stay Wet
Scott Fellman

Last edited:

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have tried to create a unique aquascape with my fresh water and salt tanks... here is my current tank... it came out pretty good I think... I wish I would have created the valley opening more offset as it is a little too centered... but it just kinda happened that way...

epa2ybav.jpg

du8e7y6a.jpg

e5y2emun.jpg

4a3adede.jpg

4avabepa.jpg

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i always have tried to create a unique aquascape with my fresh water and salt tanks... Here is my current tank... It came out pretty good i think... I wish i would have created the valley opening more offset as it is a little too centered... But it just kinda happened that way...

epa2ybav.jpg

du8e7y6a.jpg

e5y2emun.jpg

4a3adede.jpg

4avabepa.jpg

"like!"

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up as usual. I am a big fan of negative space in aquariums. I always felt like my past tanks were just "packed" with rock. Like you said this made some maintenance fairly hard to do and in turn it didn't get done as much as it should have. In my new build (finally getting things back up after hurricane sandy destroyed my old tank) I tried to keep the rock work to a minimum. I am really happy with the outcome. It's still very new and I am really trying to take my time to let things get stable and I am trying to be a little "picky" with my livestock. Here's a few pictures. Can't wait to get some more live stock in there it's taking every bit of me but it will be worth it in the end
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1393528018.743367.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1393528032.371317.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1393528062.894362.jpg

Last edited:

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great write up. I set my tank up when the most creative thing I could do was fill it with rock and then corals. But when looking at minimalist tanks as well as negative space, it is a breath of fresh air. I am a coral hoarder so I am not sure I can mend my ways but your examples are so absolutely stunning. Your points about breaking up the monotony of a wall are so perfect.

Some more months of posting your observations and thoughts and your book will be complete. Just gather up these little "talks" that you so kindly share with us.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My attempt at aquascaping with an open more airy appearance. Having a bowfront does give one some depth to work with.

Attachments

• 100_7776.jpg
    100_7776.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,096
  • 100_7766.jpg
    100_7766.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,112
  • 100_7780.jpg
    100_7780.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,212

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay Scott, HELP! Growing frustrated, and would appreciate help.
okay_done2.jpg

TommyP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 islands. Still hate my scape though. The left island is just rocks stacked together. I need bigger rocks
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393889131.258536.jpg

reefobsessed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up this 45 cube. Went from a 29 bio cube to this so I could have the negitive space. Still working on it, might remove the center rock and build a column behind it. What do you think?
29 bio 007.jpg

Small triggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used a few cerameco pieces and some established live rock as well as some marco rocks...
As far as bacteria, i feel I have enough with all of the rock in my tank...

Zachary.gingell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subscribed, I cave a double cove in mine as I named my Reef paradise cove lol but looking at those I think I might try breaking up one of my coves enhancing the other and creating some "negative space" it does seem like an awesome idea!

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up Vitarock... You can have them custom make any structure you want! Never again will I aquascape with live rock...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back