Aquaticlife t5 light up single bulb?

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Just setup the light and running all 4 bulbs seem to splashing to much par to my Lps. Is there a way I can only run one bulb in the fixture?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Just setup the light and running all 4 bulbs seem to splashing to much par to my Lps. Is there a way I can only run one bulb in the fixture?
I believe that the lights are run in series in that fixture. So you could run two at a time, but not one. If you disconnect one the other loses power as well.

OP
OP
Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep is tank and what is your fixture height?can you raise the fixture?
Tank is 21 inch height. The fixture is 11.5 inch above water and two hydra 26hd has been tuned down as well. It’s perfect with sps but my chalices near the bottom is recerving 200 par because of the T5.

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just added two reefbrite t5's with my 2x hydra 26hd. I literraly started with 10min a day all 4 t5's and increasing 5min every day so I dont burn my corals.

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just setup the light and running all 4 bulbs seem to splashing to much par to my Lps.
Are your lps looking unhappy or fading or ? If most of your par is coming from your T5's, I wouldn't worry about too much par unless you see obvious signs of distress. My corals handle higher amounts of par from T5 bulbs much easier than they would with LEDs. 200 par for a chalice should be okay if acclimated appropriately.

If light spill isn't an issue, another option would be to raise your fixture a bit higher (say 14"). That will reduce your par slightly.

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping I might be able to revive this instead of starting a new thread....

Is there a way to kill one of the bulbs off? I really have no desire to get 50%+ of my par in the tank from T5. Would love it if I could just run one bulb in front and back. Is it possible to rewire without causing issues with the ballast? Sorry for the ignorance on the electronics but it has been a long time (2003ish) since I have run flourecents on a tank.

I’ll be setting up a 24x24x24 cube, so 4x T5 is a lot of light from just the T5s and a Radion taking up the rest. I would rather predominantly use the Radion and use the 2x T5 as supplements. Also hoping this will reduce heat output a bit too. If memory serves me correctly I had a lot more issues with overheating when I was running T5 than LED.

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping I might be able to revive this instead of starting a new thread....

Is there a way to kill one of the bulbs off? I really have no desire to get 50%+ of my par in the tank from T5. Would love it if I could just run one bulb in front and back. Is it possible to rewire without causing issues with the ballast? Sorry for the ignorance on the electronics but it has been a long time (2003ish) since I have run flourecents on a tank.

I’ll be setting up a 24x24x24 cube, so 4x T5 is a lot of light from just the T5s and a Radion taking up the rest. I would rather predominantly use the Radion and use the 2x T5 as supplements. Also hoping this will reduce heat output a bit too. If memory serves me correctly I had a lot more issues with overheating when I was running T5 than LED.
Just install one bulb in the front and one in the back.

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd have to rewire. It won't turn on with just one bulb installed on either end. I have the fixture.
That’s interesting because I also have the fixture and I removed my coral+ from the front leaving just a b+ in the front to see the difference in color and the b+ stayed on. At any rate if you did have to rewire i wouldn’t think it would be very difficult.

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I contacted the manufacturer. They state that the ballast can either run 2 bulbs or 0. However, the manufacturer actually builds another ballast that is designed to run one single bulb! See attachment that they sent me. They offered to build the fixture and simply not include the ballasts, and reduce the cost of the fixture by the cost of the ballasts ($26 each -on the 24" fixture) if they were omitted. I found it an unreal offer from a company. I have read that their customer service was unparalleled -but this response was truly stunning! I will definitely be adding this to my build!! This is a GREAT option for my new tank!

Figured I would share as a few others sound like they are looking to cut back to one bulb as well.

Attachments

• SIS118-40 UNI 21.pdf
    42 KB · Views: 276

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back